Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support the drainage fee?
Yes 12 60.00%
No 8 40.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 12:14 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,273,450 times

Advertisements

It's bogus. The water and sewer rates already go up about 3% every year. They went up about 25-30% this year. It's already outrageous. Who in their right mind would vote FOR it and why? I didn't understand the way the question was worded when i went to vote this tues, so i left it blank. But i work for the water department and they just announced that it was approved and the rate will be determined in July 2011.

Prices are getting too ridiculous to live in a big sprawly city like Houston with poor mass transit and poor entertainment options. (End rant)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2010, 02:23 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,227,909 times
The reason is simple - OPM. Other People's Money. Or so they think.

Old 11-05-2010, 02:35 PM

59 posts, read 49,993 times
Yes. Probably passed because of the "pay-as-you-go" ( sounds conservative).

Old 11-05-2010, 02:37 PM

3,160 posts, read 4,368,093 times
poor entertainment ?
really ?
what do you require, more monster truck races ?
NASCAR ?

did you read the Bill ? Houston has a horrible problem with drainage, Im surprised you're not for it, you may get a raise out of the deal

Old 11-05-2010, 02:47 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,273,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bily Lovec View Post
poor entertainment ?
really ?
what do you require, more monster truck races ?
NASCAR ?

did you read the Bill ? Houston has a horrible problem with drainage, Im surprised you're not for it, you may get a raise out of the deal
seriously doubt it. raises don't come to the little guy, they only go to the big monguls downtown.

DiverTodd62, maybe i'm a little slow but what do you mean by other people's money? It's still my money going into the fee every month on top of the already outrageous water bills. All in all, i think its just another desparate way for the City to make $$$ to minimize their debt loads. Just watch, in five years, nothing will change. The lower income areas are still going to have drainage problems and massive flooding. The wealthier areas already enjoy less flooding even today.

Old 11-05-2010, 02:57 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,227,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
seriously doubt it. raises don't come to the little guy, they only go to the big monguls downtown.

DiverTodd62, maybe i'm a little slow but what do you mean by other people's money? It's still my money going into the fee every month on top of the already outrageous water bills. All in all, i think its just another desparate way for the City to make $$$ to minimize their debt loads. Just watch, in five years, nothing will change. The lower income areas are still going to have drainage problems and massive flooding. The wealthier areas already enjoy less flooding even today.
That's because you're a property owner. Think of all the renters out there who figure the evil landlord can afford it. Of course, they seldom think far enough ahead to realize that they will be paying that fee in their rent.

Old 11-05-2010, 03:06 PM

56 posts, read 158,294 times
The city needs money for better drainage. They can either issue municipal debt to cover the drainage, pay interest on the debt, and then raise property taxes to cover the cost; or they can cut out the interest and just charge a drainage fee.

Which would you prefer?

Old 11-05-2010, 03:20 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,275,674 times
Default This was a scam, and the public was bamboozled!

Quote:
Originally Posted by donhalljobs View Post
The city needs money for better drainage. They can either issue municipal debt to cover the drainage, pay interest on the debt, and then raise property taxes to cover the cost; or they can cut out the interest and just charge a drainage fee.

Which would you prefer?
I would prefer the Harris County Flood Control District continue to do their job, that is what I prefer.

What plans, or architecture studies have you seen relating to this new tax? Oh, did I say TAX? I meant "service fee".

None. You have not, because they don't exist. Those who live in Houston's city limit have written a blank check. There is no such plan, or requirement to say the money they collect won't go to someone's Christmas bonus, or trips overseas. Furthermore, why compete with the county flood control district? Houstonian's don't know what they have done, unfortunately, it's too late.

If Houston was sincere, why only the City of Houston? Does rain not fall in the Villages, Bellaire, West U, unincorporated Harris County? Does it only rain in Houston and the thin strips of land all along I45 all the way to Clear Lake, and then Clear Lake only? What a scam!

Old 11-05-2010, 08:39 PM

958 posts, read 2,574,697 times
No idea. I was against it.

Wonder if we get a credit on drought years.

Old 11-05-2010, 09:19 PM

11 posts, read 51,878 times
Prop 1 was about providing better drainage and streets by setting up a user fee of sorts. The proceeds from this fee will go to an enterprise fund that will be used only for street repair, and drainage facilities with the idea that both will help promote better drainage. The day of the vote saw a bunch of streets flooded when the rain the night before wasn't even that great. The Montrose area and a lot of residential areas in "near town" see drainage problems because the streets and the gutters are old and out-dated. The truth is that drainage, and street flooding won't get fixed till we "pay" for it.

The enterprise fund will make sure that the money doesn't go into the City's general fund and get absorbed (no pun intended). This is a twenty-year program and will create (or fund) possibly thousands of jobs for concrete workers, survey techs, construction workers, engineers, and designers. This infrastructure will help create better drainage and improved streets much like the New Deal created dams and bridges.

I agree that drainage is the responsibility of the city and Harris County Flood Control but the fact of the matter is that this problem is way too big and expensive without additional funding. And that is why I think it passed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston