Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 12:43 PM

332 posts, read 532,628 times

Advertisements

I have always wanted to live on one of those but everywhere in Houston that someone puts in as a loft is not really a loft. And when they are, they are for sale.

The only ones i know of is Alexan Lofts.

I wanted the look and vibe of lofts like in the show ***** as Folk, One on One, That movie where the wife cheats on her husband with a painter and he goes to his place and kills him, then rekindles marriage i think with her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 12:47 PM

1,416 posts, read 4,437,971 times
Dakota and Hogg Palace are two rental-only that come to mind.

Old 10-29-2010, 01:34 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,153,806 times
I used to live in the Hogg Lofts. True lofts and I loved it.

Other lofts that are owned, but many people rent out are:
Hermann Lofts
Bayou Lofts
San Jacinto Lofts
Franklin Lofts

Old 10-29-2010, 04:18 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,831,345 times
What are those ones called down there by the Last Concert Cafe? Is that Dakota lofts? I think there are some over on Commerce Street east of where Franklin splits into Canal & Navigation. You might check out Live Oak Lofts on HAR too.

Old 10-30-2010, 06:34 AM

1,416 posts, read 4,437,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modster View Post
What are those ones called down there by the Last Concert Cafe? Is that Dakota lofts? I think there are some over on Commerce Street east of where Franklin splits into Canal & Navigation. You might check out Live Oak Lofts on HAR too.
Dakota Lofts, yes...off Nance near Latin Bites Cafe (great BYOB place, BTW). They are supposedly the first loft conversion in Houston (Randall Davis), and are probably on the lower end of the quality spectrum.

Old 11-02-2010, 02:19 PM

Is it true that most lofts are a big electricity draw since there is no insulation and all the heat the sun generates penetrates the walls.

Can someone name that movie I was talking about though?

Old 11-02-2010, 05:17 PM

1,461 posts, read 5,596,579 times
I believe it is Unfaithful.

Old 11-03-2010, 12:57 AM

1,006 posts, read 735,021 times
Alexan Lofts are authentic lofts. I use to live there, nice tall ceilings and true vintage hardwood floors. also Post Rice lofts. I'm obsessed with the loft/industrial style living spaces and Houston is definitely lacking BOG TIME in this area mainly because of urban sprawl and just the sheer size of Houston. People don't feel the need to rent a loft when they can get a house in the "burbs" for the same. I personally despise the suburbs and love being an urbanite and seriously considering moving to San Francisco, Toronto or New York. Sabine Lofts are not legitimate lofts, but more apartments. Overpriced ones at that. Houston lacks unique living spaces with hardwood floors with the exception of garage apartments in the Montrose area but even those are hit or miss. I love my city buy my interest may carry me else where. Check out Apartment Therapy for some cool, unique and innovative lofts.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:16 AM

What boggles me is the fact that many developers, investors, real estate players know that there is a somewhat big crowd of people in Houston that want this sort of home and still nothing is done. Even if the building is new, as long as it has real wood floors, cool industrial looking doors, lots of big windows and brick walls many people will be satisfied. If there is a lack of old buildings to be renovated or to expensive to renovate

Old 11-03-2010, 01:35 PM

1,006 posts, read 735,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey713 View Post
What boggles me is the fact that many developers, investors, real estate players know that there is a somewhat big crowd of people in Houston that want this sort of home and still nothing is done. Even if the building is new, as long as it has real wood floors, cool industrial looking doors, lots of big windows and brick walls many people will be satisfied. If there is a lack of old buildings to be renovated or to expensive to renovate
Dude, I totally agree!!!!, I've been saying this since I moved here. The city wants people to spend more time downtown but the type of people attracted to downtown living wont live in some 1980's built shag carpet condo with dingy white walling. I've been looking for a while with no real luck besides those mentioned.

Developers are idiots to not develop such living spaces with the influx of people moving to Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston