Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2007, 09:06 PM

4 posts, read 21,185 times

Advertisements

I am planning a transition from Atlanta to Houston in September. My preference is to stay near the Downtown, Midtown or Uptown areas. I will be leasing a unit until I become more familiar with area and then branch out into "the burbs" to purchase. Can I have your thoughts on the best areas or complexes in terms of safety and amenities and pet friendly? Also which areas/zipcodes should I stay away from in terms of "unsafe/high-crime" for leasing? Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2007, 09:06 AM

564 posts, read 2,048,246 times
There are some newer developments near the locations you mentioned inside the Loop. These may be pricier but they're very flexible in terms of pets, amenities and the like.

There are quite a few new developments in the Greenway Plaza area that you might want to consider. If you go to har.com, do a search by zip code for rental properties in 77027 and 77046, for example.

Another option inside the loop that might not be as pricey but still have the pet friendliness and amenities you desire is in the 77008 area (this NW Houston inside the Loop--the "Timbergrove" area).

Again, go to har.com and do a search for rental properties in the zip codes I mention.

At the least, this should give you a good start! Good luck.

Old 07-05-2007, 04:21 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,608,484 times
Well....I live in an gated apartment complex near Loop 610 and South Main near Reliant Stadium. I go out at 2am to take out the trash or check the mail (I keep weird hours at times) or get a Coke out of the vending machine. No problems in almost six months of being back here in Houston. We have two cats; you will have to pay a deposit and it depends on what kind of pets you have.

Robberies, auto thefts etc. can happen anywhere. Be careful, be smart and be aware at all times no matter where you are. The smart criminals prey on complacent people, especially rich ones in places like River Oaks and Sugar Land. You're never 100% safe. That said, you have plenty of options.

If any place you might rent is within a mile or two of Highway 59 (Southwest Freeway) in between Loop 610 and Beltway 8, I would most likely scratch from the list. Very dangerous part of town. Meyerland (near the southwestern corner of Loop 610 is an exception, and the neighboring stretch of Post Oak has a Wal-Mart and other places to shop. Anything west of there should be avoided and it's not worth ever going over there unless you're just passing through on 59. Even then you need to be careful, and I would advise to have enough gas to get to Sugar Land or Rosenberg or wherever you'd be going. But north of Meyerland is Uptown/the Galleria and Memorial and Hermann parks are not far away. Traffic is very dense around the Galleria and on the West Loop, as well as Interstate 10 where there is a lot of construction. Getting to Downtown can be an adventure.

If you want better access to downtown, you might try looking closer to the Metro light rail line which runs roughly parallel to Main Street from downtown to the other side of the South Loop at Fannin near Reliant Stadium.

Northwest and inside the loop is the Heights, which is a good area that has become trendy lately. You can get into downtown without dealing with the freeways. Great if you can afford it - I want to move closer to downtown if I get more established and can afford it (and I decide to stay in Houston).

Old 07-05-2007, 05:35 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,426,687 times
Try some of those classy apartments near the Medical Center along the Red Line. Also, Midtown would be a good choice.

Old 07-06-2007, 06:07 PM

4 posts, read 21,185 times
Thanks all for your insight. Greatly appreciated. I have my work cut out for me narrowing down my choice. There are so many properties to choose from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston