Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 07:20 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,679,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
I don't think you're clueless at all. I agree with you. Although SL has a large Asian and foreign population compared to many other suburbs, from all of my years of living in the area it seems most of them integrate quite well to Texas from what I observe. On all of the patriotic holidays, you see flags everywhere and at the entrances to most of the large subdivisions. From some of the comments above you'd think we were describing Dearborn Michigan or something... quite misleading and made me laugh just a bit. (BTW, I don't know what on earth a photo from something in the UK has to do with Sugar Land... totally different situation over there, read up on the 2nd most popular baby boy name over there)
I was simply clarifying what alpha was trying to hint at - that there are lots of muslims in SL and some may not like the military, which could affect the OP's experience living in SL. I have no doubt there is some percentage of Pakistani (primarily) Muslims who share the views of their co-religionists in the photo. WHat I don't know is whether or not those views would affect the OP's experience living there.

To clarify, the pic is of is muslims in London who hate the British military. It is indeed a different situation over there. At this point in time, Muslims in America who share those views do not feel emboldened to express those views publicly. It does not mean, however, the views aren't shared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 08:00 PM

867 posts, read 2,979,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
Why be politically correct? What Alphalogica is trying to say is that Sugar Land has a large Muslim population, a percentage of whom view the US military not as guarantors of their freedom, but an evil band of non-believers out to oppress and kill Muslims. Wisely on their part, the military protest crap going on in Britain has not started here yet

Yes, that would be a more upfront way to put it.

For the record I'm Asian-American myself (father Chinese) and a veteran (prior-Army) but yes, the large Muslim population in the area is one main thing I'm hitting at.

For what its worth, when I graduated from CHS in 2002, I was told that I was first kid out of Clements to go into the Army in two years. (Clements isn't a small school). It's a full-fledged 5A school. Also, in my own experience, from around that time, I encountered quite a bit of opposition in regards to my decision before I left, and yes, a lot of it (but nowhere near all of it) was from Muslim "friends."

Last edited by Alphalogica; 07-18-2010 at 08:26 PM..

Old 07-18-2010, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
it seems most of them integrate quite well to Texas from what I observe. On all of the patriotic holidays, you see flags everywhere and at the entrances to most of the large subdivisions.

"Flags everywhere" does not equate to pro-military. You see car dealerships with US Flags during "4 of July sales" does that mean they wholeheartedly support the troops?

To give a parallel...

When someone asks "how you are you doing?" does that really mean they care about how you are doing, or are they just doing that because it's the "right, polite thing to do." A lot of times they might care, but more often then not, it's more or less the latter. Same goes for the flags, friends.

Last edited by Alphalogica; 07-18-2010 at 08:28 PM..

Old 07-18-2010, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
the residents appreciate the sacrifices made by the U.S. military personnel to enable the rest of us to enjoy the freedom we do.
That can be said for anywhere, but ask a Houston-area Army recruiter, esp. one that works out of SW Houston, how many kids from Clements HS go into the military. I can guarantee that number is minuscule.

I could also say the same for Officers as well. I only know of two people from my CHS graduating class of about 670+ students who are commissioned Officers. (One of them is the son of a local retired Army Reserve 2-star General)

EDIT: I take that back, 3 people.

Last edited by Alphalogica; 07-18-2010 at 08:24 PM..

Old 07-18-2010, 08:28 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,129,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphalogica View Post
That can be said for anywhere, but ask a Houston-area Army recruiter, esp. one that works out of SW Houston, how many kids from Clements HS go into the military. I can guarantee that number is minuscule.

I could also say the same for Officers as well. I only know of two people from my CHS graduating class of about 670+ students who are commissioned Officers. (One of them is the son of a local retired Army Reserve 2-star General)

EDIT: I take that back, 3 people.
What is the majority ethnic makeup of Clements?

Old 07-18-2010, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
What is the majority ethnic makeup of Clements?
What does that have to do with anything?

48% white 40% Asian http://www.schoolmatters.com/schools.aspx/q/page=sp/sid=32916 (broken link)

I happen to be both, myself.

Old 07-18-2010, 10:47 PM

1,474 posts, read 5,000,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Steve,

Are you an Army vet or still in the Army?
I'm not even a US citizen yet. "Steve Armstrong", its not my real name obviously. He's some anime character

SugarLand is great. Ignore the confused kids, hating where they grew up because they think its their parents fault they had boring teenage years (thats partly true tho)

Old 07-18-2010, 11:01 PM

1,474 posts, read 5,000,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphalogica View Post
Yes, it's obvious. I don't care for Muslims. rb4browns very much summed it up. (Thank you, by the way)

I can assure that most military people (current and former, O and enlisted) know where I'm coming from with this.

dude are you one of those people who cant shut up about being in the military and thinks veterans day was made for them but actually unfit to be in the front lines, maybe a grease monkey working on helicopters, cleaning other peoples equipment or doing some PC parts inventory? I have a friend like that

Old 07-19-2010, 07:10 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,947,528 times
Lets answer the OP question on Sugar Land.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:58 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,852,343 times
It's funny how many say "the suburbs are all the same" other times, but then a thread like this comes along and people get down to nit-picking and "so-and-so said this" on things that may not even be true.

Good grief, say what you want those of you who don't even live in Sugar Land, but we are a white "pro-military" family who has never felt uncomfortable here in the least. We may have other families in the hood who are from somewhere else (including India, Latin America, Scotland, Vietnam), but we also have many families who are exactly like us. (And BTW, upon getting curious about this topic, I googled "Sugar Land" and "Muslim population". For those who care, all I came up with over and over was that it was KATY, not Sugar Land, that had the notable Muslim population. Katy TX Facts - "has the highest concentration of Muslims in the Greater Houston Area")

I also distinctly remember these two recent events, which were all over the local SL news and were a pretty big deal here.

Vietnam War Memorial In Sugar Land - KPRC Houston (http://www.click2houston.com/news/23746863/detail.html - broken link)

Fallen Hero Comes Home to Sugar Land - KIAH

Parade for Fallen Hero on Hwy 6 in Sugar Land - YouTube

So ANYWAY... for the OP, I think it would help to know the kind of house you want, the sort of area you want as far as amenities, and anything else that would be helpful. If you do end up settling in Sugar Land, you'll be FINE.

Last edited by AK123; 07-19-2010 at 09:32 AM.. Reason: added info found on Katy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston