Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 12:19 PM

10 posts, read 32,108 times

Advertisements

I realized living in New Jersey (North Berge/Jersey City area) is ridiculous, annoying, uncomfortable, ghetto, sickening & expensive. Why should I do that to myself and my wife and new child (due in two weeks)? My sister lives in Houston and suggested I move down there. Now how the hell do I find a job there? It seems there aren't many options for finance/accounting majors.

Can anyone please advise me on how or where to apply for jobs in Houston?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 01:22 PM

847 posts, read 1,753,697 times
www.monster.com

Old 06-30-2010, 01:41 PM

164 posts, read 364,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodukes View Post
I realized living in New Jersey (North Berge/Jersey City area) is ridiculous, annoying, uncomfortable, ghetto, sickening & expensive. Why should I do that to myself and my wife and new child (due in two weeks)? My sister lives in Houston and suggested I move down there. Now how the hell do I find a job there? It seems there aren't many options for finance/accounting majors.

I just moved from northern VA to Houston. I found not many job options here. I was lucky to get one offer right before I moved. But in general the job market is slow. I am a senior developer in IT. While I am in Houston, I continue receive tons of job leads from recuiters in DC. My old co-workers in DC can still switch jobs easily.

Old 06-30-2010, 02:55 PM

IT seems to be they're strongest job market after energy and even those are slow. Damn, I really wanted to move there for the cheap cost of living.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:28 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,693,896 times
Quote:
IT seems to be they're strongest job market after energy and even those are slow. Damn, I really wanted to move there for the cheap cost of living.
Well it is much cheaper to live here but there ain't no jobs here either despite what you hear. Unless you have a fat back account you should find jobs first and then and only then move here.......or anywhere else for that matter.

Once you find work you will like it here. I grew up in the slums you speak of so know it very very well. You are better off here. Your cost of living is half what Bergen County is. And your 2 bedroom 1 bath home that cost a million and a half there can be had here for less then $100,000 in a good neighborhood.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:38 PM

I'm going to intensify my job search....

Old 06-30-2010, 08:21 PM

101 posts, read 289,436 times
Have you ever thought about Dallas. You would still be closer then New Jersey and would still experience the cheaper costs of housing. Another option is that most employers don't hire outside of their state. So if you are applying for jobs it might do you some good to use your relatives address that actually lives in Houston. That may get you better offers. Other than that, many employers would think you expect them to pay your moving expenses and just bypass your resume or application.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:30 PM

1,416 posts, read 4,443,296 times
Quote:
I'm going to intensify my job search....
It's all about your skillset and experience. I am a CPA and very regularly get recruiting emails and calls from corporate headhunters. Not what I got back in 2006-2007, mind you, but way more than in 2009! Like with other industries, if you have the experience that employers are looking for, and are a good interview, you shouldn't have a problem at least getting something decent, if not great.

Like has been said, many (most?) aren't going to pay for relocation. So you not being in the area is to your detriment. It's a catch-22 for sure. If you are determined to get here without job prospects, speak to Robert Half or Accountants International (or other contract services) and see what they have for you. Gets you in the door and cash in your wallet.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:35 PM

27 posts, read 245,863 times
Have you looked in Austin? More expensive to live than Houston but also more jobs.

Old 07-11-2010, 03:05 PM

352 posts, read 570,925 times
Wink Its really about who you know in Houston.

Quote:

I'm originally from jersey and I understand what your saying; I've also lived in many different metros around the United States and there's some things that many, MANY, people here will not tell you:

Part 1. Houston is one of the biggest "Who you know" places I've ever experienced. I know this from people from houston, that tell me and my wife this. I've been living here for 6 months now and thank God for monies put aside and good credit scores, because we've interviewed a lot, but nothing has come into fruition. We are both experienced, advanced degreed people in our fields of expertise. I understand that the economy is slow, but geeez. Unfortunately, Many companies have jobs posted online that are already filled.

Let me add this...I've accepted 3 job offers throughout the month of June, but I still have no start date; I was told that Human Resources is still doing my background check and "it just takes time here in texas".

Part 2. People seem very personal here; During my interviews, they want to know what brought you here, why your here, and a host of other personal questions that aren't exactly legal to ask. Many staffing agencies will say, "I'll call you, if you don't hear from me by such and such day, call me". This has happened repeatedly to both me and my wife, and we still haven't heard back from them despite us contacting them.

Part 3. Me and my wife really enjoy houston and what it offers; Quality of life is good, cost of living is amazing. The humidity is something you can't really get used to. The pace here is quite slow for a city of this size. We live in the Woodlands, which is nice and worth checking out if you don't mind living outside of the city.

So, start networking now, and I truly hope that you don't experience any of the things me and my wife have with finding employment. I wish you nothing but the best for you and yours. Check out United Way of Greater Houston community job bank [10 post to link off site].

Last edited by Oildog; 07-12-2010 at 07:35 AM.. Reason: added helpful info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston