Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 09:05 PM

221 posts, read 612,015 times

Advertisements

if so then they all must suck

seriously, tonight my mom moved into the area (I repeatedly told her we should have looked at westbury instead but shes an immigrant and her dream was to always have a big brand new home, lets just say im quite the opposite)

the whole town is one big strip mall full of generic chains like chilis, tgi fridays, subways, mcdonalds, etc etc

sure there were some independent restaurants in the area but that only amounted to probably only 10% of whats out there

the only one good thing that they have is the heb plus but everything else was LIFELESS

I have 2 homes and one of them is in the Sharpstown area which is what some call "ghetto", but hell, it has way more variety and soul than pearland will ever have. There are way more independent restaurants (mexican, chinese, vietnamese, carribean), specialty good stores, and the housing isn't as generic and cookie cutter.

Jesus, this who suburb movement is exactly what's wrong with America, people will only realize this once gas becomes super expensive and BAM, every suburb will be the future slums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 09:18 PM

1,211 posts, read 3,561,837 times
Yep, that alone is what's "wrong" with America.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:32 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,890,274 times
Some people like suburbs and everything about them. Some like the older, inner city. I don't think there's anything really "wrong" with either as long as both make different people happy.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:35 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,814,717 times
Yep, especially Sugar Land and Katy.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:53 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,701,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertrulez View Post
if so then they all must suck

seriously, tonight my mom moved into the area (I repeatedly told her we should have looked at westbury instead but shes an immigrant and her dream was to always have a big brand new home, lets just say im quite the opposite)

the whole town is one big strip mall full of generic chains like chilis, tgi fridays, subways, mcdonalds, etc etc

sure there were some independent restaurants in the area but that only amounted to probably only 10% of whats out there

the only one good thing that they have is the heb plus but everything else was LIFELESS

I have 2 homes and one of them is in the Sharpstown area which is what some call "ghetto", but hell, it has way more variety and soul than pearland will ever have. There are way more independent restaurants (mexican, chinese, vietnamese, carribean), specialty good stores, and the housing isn't as generic and cookie cutter.

Jesus, this who suburb movement is exactly what's wrong with America, people will only realize this once gas becomes super expensive and BAM, every suburb will be the future slums.
That ain't the only thing wrong with America. Go back. You said your mother wants a big beautiful home. Why? Does she still have 4 kids at home? What the hell do any of us need a 4000 SF home for? It's the old American way which we need to change our attitudes on. Wanting more and more and bigger and bigger regardless if we can afford it is an attitude we must lose. It's a major contributing factor in the cause of the current economic depression.

I am currently living in Pearland as I build a home to resell so I am getting to know the area quite well. All the stores are pretty concentrated in one small area. Probably the way it should be. Pearland has problems other Houston suburbs do not have like incomplete abandoned roadways everywhere that motorists have to navigate because the city ran out of money to complete them. Many other functionally obsolete roads in Pearland are nightmarish at best.

It is not a horrible place to live except having to deal with that abortion called 288. I like all the restaurants. The Town Center outdoor mall is great. Others complain about the sewer treatment plant across from those section 8 type condo human filing cabinets they bought.

Pearland is not so bad but I can't wait to get back to the water in Kemah.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:18 PM

221 posts, read 612,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
That ain't the only thing wrong with America. Go back. You said your mother wants a big beautiful home. Why? Does she still have 4 kids at home? What the hell do any of us need a 4000 SF home for? It's the old American way which we need to change our attitudes on. Wanting more and more and bigger and bigger regardless if we can afford it is an attitude we must lose. It's a major contributing factor in the cause of the current economic depression.

I am currently living in Pearland as I build a home to resell so I am getting to know the area quite well. All the stores are pretty concentrated in one small area. Probably the way it should be. Pearland has problems other Houston suburbs do not have like incomplete abandoned roadways everywhere that motorists have to navigate because the city ran out of money to complete them. Many other functionally obsolete roads in Pearland are nightmarish at best.

It is not a horrible place to live except having to deal with that abortion called 288. I like all the restaurants. The Town Center outdoor mall is great. Others complain about the sewer treatment plant across from those section 8 type condo human filing cabinets they bought.

Pearland is not so bad but I can't wait to get back to the water in Kemah.

I so agree! We don't need this damn house! However she wants to try impress all her family members that come to visit which is kind of shallow but whatever, its her money. However for myself, after college I plan to renovate my old sharpstown house and live there. Love that area.

The suburbs truly do suck.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:22 PM

1,474 posts, read 5,002,511 times
I'd move to the suburb if my son was an a**hole

Old 06-09-2010, 10:44 PM

847 posts, read 1,754,050 times
hahahahahhahaha

Old 06-10-2010, 03:50 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,661,066 times
Yes, every other suburb is pretty much like Pearland with the same attributes you listed.

Yes, they suck and yes they are boring and yes they have nothing but crappy chain restaurants (unless you count generic tex mex place and generic chinese buffet).

Old 06-10-2010, 06:15 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,731,888 times
Yep, 100% crappy chains out here too as you can see:

B4-U-EAT - Clear Lake Area Restaurants

(However with the NASA issue in the air, many of those could very well disappear.)

Seriously though- Pearland and other very new-ish suburbs might be like you describe, but those that were established 40-50 years ago will have had all that time to develop.

And I'm not sure about expensive gas / suburban slum argument. We saw $4 gas in 2008 and property values didn't decline as everyone feared. If anything, it was easier to get around because more people were car-pooling. If we see even more expensive gas it will be a boon and probably spark more of this ''soulless'' development.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston