Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 12:57 PM

17,543 posts, read 66,657,756 times

Advertisements

You have to sell it, man!
I can assure you they are a waste of money- their only real purpose is to get the doors at a height that does require bending (big deal, a little exercise never hurt anybody). That drawer requires plenty of bending- so it really doesn't get used. The counter space is definitely more important/useful- even without wall cabinets.

The space issue kindda differs depending on hookup locations and hoses, dryer vent location vs. port on dryer. But, generally you should only need a couple of inches on the sides.

Last edited by K'ledgeBldr; 05-24-2010 at 01:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 06:37 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,592,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Forget the pedestals. That's $400 that can go elsewhere.
Without the pedestals you can run a counter top across the washer and dryer, and through the sink area- replace the free-standing laundry tub with a drop-in tub. Install a bank of wall cabinets above the washer and dryer and a hanging rod above the sink (for drip drying).
And if you wanted a little more storage- you could probably put a 12" deep pantry cabinet in the other corner.

The other scenario I see (if floor space was an issue), stack the washer and dryer and create counter space/pantry space.
Spoken like a man that doesn't do laundry . Sorry, if I were looking at a house with front loaders that weren't up on pedestals it would be a big turnoff, silly I know but with 3 teenagers, we do a LOT of laundry.

Old 05-24-2010, 06:44 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,528,520 times
Pedestals aren't necessary. You have a built in platform for less money.

It's better to build a platform anyway since it can be built with raised sides and a drain to prevent flooding in the event of a leak.

If it's in the basement, the platform would be cement. If it's in another area of the house, the platform would be tile.

If you're not concerned with flooding, the platform can be made of wood if the area doesn't have moisture issues.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:00 AM

17,543 posts, read 66,657,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Spoken like a man that doesn't do laundry . Sorry, if I were looking at a house with front loaders that weren't up on pedestals it would be a big turnoff, silly I know but with 3 teenagers, we do a LOT of laundry.

Sorry gal- you got it all wrong. I am the laundry elf. Otherwise, it would still be dirty, pink, shrunk, or missing. Otherhalf came from a family in the dry cleaning business.
She didn't even know what an iron was until she met me!

Old 07-20-2010, 11:31 AM

1 posts, read 952 times
Just my 2 cents, I LOVE the pedestals and so does my husband. No bending and storage under for all the necessities. Never have to look detergent, etc. Good luck!

Old 07-20-2010, 01:14 PM

44 posts, read 190,413 times
I would second the nomination for no pedistals. We have front loaders and just keep a small chair in the room to sit on while loading the washer / dryer. Door of the washer opens to the left, door to the dryer opens to the right and the chair goes in between the two. Saved us from buying the pedistals.

I almost made my own, but decided not to. It would have prevented us from using the top of the washer / dryer to place the folded laundry. We dont have room for countertops as the drying rack goes there (for the non-dryable items).

You could move the washer further left and place a countertop between the washer / dryer. That may not be convient to switch the laundry from washer --> dryer though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House