Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2010, 09:09 PM

333 posts, read 977,501 times

Advertisements

Over the next year or two my boyfriend and I will be fixing up his house, and its a 2 bed/1 bath house, in what we think is about 1,000 square feet. I've had the idea of adding a 2nd bathroom to the house, by turning a bedroom into a master bedroom/bath. (might be better for re-sale) To do this I know it'd be a-lot cheaper to use current space instead of adding on, so I figured we could put it where his current laundry room is (it's huge for laundry rooms) and the other bathroom is right on the other side of the wall from it. So we can probably connect up to those pipes in the wall without having to put all new stuff in the walls. My question is, if we did this, what would you still have to pay for, extra pipes, etc.? Also, about how much would this 2nd bathroom cost us? (Since we're not having to add all new pipes.) Thanks for any helpful comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2010, 02:22 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,296,774 times
If possible, find a good contractor to give you a free estimate. You're right, two are better than one, but it is difficult to give you accurate information on here. It sounds as though you have a good setup to accommodate the second bath. Good luck.

Old 05-16-2010, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
If possible, find a good contractor to give you a free estimate. You're right, two are better than one, but it is difficult to give you accurate information on here. It sounds as though you have a good setup to accommodate the second bath. Good luck.
Hmm kk, we'll try looking into getting an estimate, but was just curious on a rough estimate for now, to know if we'd really get money back on it, or if we'd just be throwing a couple thousand away. Trying to figure out what's the best/least expencive idea for that room since it's an 8 by 6. Why thank you I appreciate that. I'm definitely trying to come up with the best ideas for his house to make the most of the current space and make it more usable. Especially because we don't plan on living in it long, just long enough to fix it up nice and sell it. As it's not our dream house, but hopefully it can be for someone else.

Old 05-16-2010, 03:11 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,906,689 times
Labor is the biggest expense in any project and the cost of labor is different in every market. A contractor in your area will have to calculate this for you.

And no one will be able to tell you whether or not you'll get the money back for sure. Aside from the obvious--how much you spend--it depends on your local buyer's market. Do buyer's want a master bedroom suite in your area? In combination with whatever other features and amenities your particular property has? And do they want the suite more than they want a large laundry room? And if buyers do want these features and do want to pay more, do they want to pay enough to recoup your expenses? The answers to these questions are going to be different in every market.

In addition to consulting a contractor, you may want to chat with a real estate broker to talk about market demands.

Last edited by kodaka; 05-16-2010 at 03:19 PM..

Old 05-16-2010, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
Labor is the biggest expense in any project and the cost of labor is different in every market. A contractor in your area will have to calculate this for you.

And no one will be able to tell you whether or not you'll get the money back for sure, at this point. It will depend on so many other factors--layout, finishes used, whether what you took away to create the bathroom was worth more or less money, what other amenities the property has and whether buyers in your market are interested in the ammenity you are contemplating providing, in combination with all the other features of this particular property.
Yea, that's what I was wondering if a 2nd bathroom would be worth it or not, because we wanna do what's best for his size house etc. As it's a 2 bedroom/1 bath, but I wasn't sure if a 2 bed/2 bath would sell better or not.

Old 05-16-2010, 03:30 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,906,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaygirl05 View Post
Yea, that's what I was wondering if a 2nd bathroom would be worth it or not, because we wanna do what's best for his size house etc. As it's a 2 bedroom/1 bath, but I wasn't sure if a 2 bed/2 bath would sell better or not.
Sorry I edited my above comment to say a real estate agent in your area would be the best person to ask about what would sell in your area. Its not just the total area market, but your particular neighborhood and property. What sells in a neighborhood of young professionals is different that what appeals to families, and different than what appeals to retirees.

I can tell you, in my market, there has been a trend away from the 'bathroom fetish'--where there are as many or more bathrooms than there are bedrooms. The 'per SF' costs of extra bathrooms are so high compared to how much time they are actually used. Some people are saying they would rather have the space as actual living space. Here there is especially a trend away from the 'builder's special.' Having seen far too many contractors slap cheap 12x12 brown tile everywhere, buyers want to see something nicer than that, if they are going to pay for it at all.

But that's my region, that doesn't mean this is true for your area.

Old 05-16-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
Sorry I edited my above comment to say a real estate agent in your area would be the best person to ask about what would sell in your area. Its not just the total area market, but your particular neighborhood and property. What sells in a neighborhood of young professionals is different that what appeals to families, and different than what appeals to retirees.

I can tell you, in my market, there has been a trend away from the 'bathroom fetish'--where there are as many or more bathrooms than there are bedrooms. The 'per SF' costs of extra bathrooms are so high compared to how much time they are actually used. Some people are saying they would rather have the space as actual living space. Here there is especially a trend away from the 'builder's special.' Having seen far too many contractors slap cheap 12x12 brown tile everywhere, buyers want to see something nicer than that, if they are going to pay for it at all.

But that's my region, that doesn't mean this is true for your area.
Yea, I know I've heard about having appraisals done on houses, course I know that's afterwards, but that's good that we can get their opinion before we actually do anything. Thank you for that Hmm that's interesting, but I can see that too, that's why I'm undecided as to whether to leave it as a Laundry room, make it a master bath, or maybe even make it be a small study/office. I just wasn't sure which is best, because you're right, I do need to ask a Realtor what people are wanting in my area. Thanks again.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:49 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
As other's suggested before doing ANYTHING, contact a good realtor in the area and ask them to come out and give you a market estimate and then ask them for ideas to maximize the resale. Most will have no problem doing it as chances are if you do sell you will hopefully list with them.

You already stated that this is a very short term situation for you, so you really don't want to spend anything on the house that won't be recovered at sale or help make the house sell quickly. 2br/1ba is a pretty small house and would generally have a narrow market (first time buyer starting out, single person, retired couple, etc.) You need to know which groups are buying houses like that in your area and then cater it to those people. The money you would spend on a 2nd bath may be much better spent in other areas.

Old 05-18-2010, 02:07 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
I'm assuming you mean "half bath" for the new one, right - just a WC and sink?

Or at most a 3/4 - add a shower.

Adding a full 2nd bath to a small house like this does not make any sense to me, it would take more room out of the bedrom than it would be worth IMHO.

Agree, talk to a realtor about how well you can expect to recover costs.

Sometimes if the house has an attached garage (or you want to do that) you can put the half-bath in there...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House