Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2011, 09:07 AM

1,802 posts, read 8,162,103 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a very rough estimate of the cost to add a bathroom to a detached building that currently has no plumbing. The house is in Jacksonville, FL. and has a building maybe 30 feet or so away in the back yard that has been converted into a living space with drywall and carpeting. It currently is owned by a family member who may be putting it on the market. I have been planning on relocating to Florida, and love the location and style of the house, but it would need some updating (kitchen and bath are seriously outdated). The house is kind of small, but the building in the back would make a great "man cave" for the spouse, and would give us the extra square footage that we need. But it would need to have at least a half bath to have it work for that purpose.

Any idea as to the cost of doing something like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 11:21 AM

3,041 posts, read 7,933,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvj View Post
I am looking for a very rough estimate of the cost to add a bathroom to a detached building that currently has no plumbing. The house is in Jacksonville, FL. and has a building maybe 30 feet or so away in the back yard that has been converted into a living space with drywall and carpeting. It currently is owned by a family member who may be putting it on the market. I have been planning on relocating to Florida, and love the location and style of the house, but it would need some updating (kitchen and bath are seriously outdated). The house is kind of small, but the building in the back would make a great "man cave" for the spouse, and would give us the extra square footage that we need. But it would need to have at least a half bath to have it work for that purpose.

Any idea as to the cost of doing something like this?
Just make sure it is legal with permits or bank and or appraiser will not approve,been there,had to get civil engineer to get out of mess.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:59 AM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
Way more than the bath would be worth- and that's if it's even possible.
Not knowing if the house is sewer, or septic, the elevation of the house relative to the outbuilding, elevation of the outbuilding to the street if sewer, and the list goes on and on.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:21 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,684,678 times
I was quoted $1200 to run a waste water line about 15 feet to connect with the house's sewer line and another $800 to run plumbing & install laundry area faucets in a carport shed that is attached to the property. That is a more simple project than yours......

Old 02-28-2011, 02:43 PM

1,496 posts, read 3,385,294 times
Your first step is to call the city's building inspector and zoning enforcement officer. Ask them if there are any regulations and, if so, what they are for a project like this. Be certain you can move forward first. Next step is to ask the building inspector for a list of licensed plumbers, excavators and other craftsmen in the area. Then have three estimates done. You didn't mention electricity soi f there is none , you will have to install. If there is old outdated, it will have to be updated. Another qiuestion for the Building Inspector to satisfy the code.

To sum up the labor.:

Excavator to connect the sewer line.

Plumber to connect water lines.

A carpenter to do the rough and finish work.

Possible electrician.

Also heat & AC? It can get chilly in January & February in Jacksonville. Perhaps just one circuit to plug a electric heater into Same for AC.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:37 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,162,103 times
Thanks for all of the replies. I thought it might be more complicated than it seemed, and evidently I was right. I will definitely keep all of this in mind. As for some of the comments - yes, the building does have electricity. I think it just has window a/c, and is not heated, but I need to check on that. The house is on city water and sewer.

My brother-in-law can do the carpentry work and hooking up the plumbing, but he would not be able to install the actual lines. And I suspect that would be where the majority of the budget would go. If it could be done and for $10,000 or less I would consider it do-able. More than that would be a stretch.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:13 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,470,411 times
I think the estimate above ($1200 for 15 feet) is on target. Here, it cost $70/foot to install underground waste line. If the tie in is complicated, add a couple hundred.

Old 03-01-2011, 11:43 AM

1,496 posts, read 3,385,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvj View Post
Thanks for all of the replies. I thought it might be more complicated than it seemed, and evidently I was right. I will definitely keep all of this in mind. As for some of the comments - yes, the building does have electricity. I think it just has window a/c, and is not heated, but I need to check on that. The house is on city water and sewer.

My brother-in-law can do the carpentry work and hooking up the plumbing, but he would not be able to install the actual lines. And I suspect that would be where the majority of the budget would go. If it could be done and for $10,000 or less I would consider it do-able. More than that would be a stretch.

$10K should be more than enough to do what you want to do here, considering you have artisans in the family. You should be able to connect the sewer lines for 5K and run the water inbound for that as well. Your biggest expense will be the excavator. Those guys are very hungry right now so shop them carefully and dilligently and you should get a bargaiin on that end of the deal.

Old 03-01-2011, 03:06 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
It really varies. We had sewer and water to the "garage" for less than $500. However the sewer pipe runs right alonside the garage only about 4 feet away. THe water line was just a plastic pipe buried in a trench between the house and the garage and then penetrating through the basement wall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House