Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2010, 12:20 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,204,287 times

Advertisements

My husband's grill got splashed with rain and now our driveway is stained with rust. It looks like a little river of rust going down to the street.

The neighbors say that it looks bad and we agree but not enough for my husband to remove the grill out of the rain. That is another issue.

Anyway, my neighbor and husband put their heads together and decided that one way to rid of the stain was to bleach it out. I said, NOOOOO! First, I don't think it will work. Second, that is polluting the ground. Anyway, what are our options. Letting it fade? Replacing the bricks? Using a water pressure hose?

TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 12:29 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,765,160 times
Say NO to chemicals.

Buy yourself a wire brush with a handle. Use the brush with strokes going with the lines in the cement. When concrete is poured and troweled, next they broom it. You will see the broom marks. Wire brush with the grain so to speak. Basically you are scratching the stains out. When you are finished getting that stain out, that area will look real clean and shinny and will stick out like a sore thumb. Don't worry about it, it will darken back up to match the surrounding area in just a couple weeks.

It works. Good luck !

Old 04-29-2010, 01:31 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,204,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Say NO to chemicals.

Buy yourself a wire brush with a handle. Use the brush with strokes going with the lines in the cement. When concrete is poured and troweled, next they broom it. You will see the broom marks. Wire brush with the grain so to speak. Basically you are scratching the stains out. When you are finished getting that stain out, that area will look real clean and shinny and will stick out like a sore thumb. Don't worry about it, it will darken back up to match the surrounding area in just a couple weeks.

It works. Good luck !
Okay. That will solve our patio and I will try that; I do see the broom marks. What about the brick driveway? Circular motions? It is probably easier just to replace the bricks, isn't it?

BTW - I Googled this problem and many recommend chemicals. Like you, I don't want to use them.

ETA - Couldn't rep you again.

Old 04-29-2010, 02:38 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,765,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisan View Post
Okay. That will solve our patio and I will try that; I do see the broom marks. What about the brick driveway? Circular motions? It is probably easier just to replace the bricks, isn't it?

BTW - I Googled this problem and many recommend chemicals. Like you, I don't want to use them.

ETA - Couldn't rep you again.
Brick? You have stains on brick too? Well I never tried brushing brick but it is solid color through and through. Give it a try with circular motions as you suggested. Replacing bricks is a hassle if they are mortared in. If they are just sanded in then maybe.

Old 04-30-2010, 09:54 AM

1,474 posts, read 5,012,416 times
I had a similar issue but with lawn fertilizer fortified with IRON LOL. our gutters/street is stained with rust now thanks to my plant mister. anyway, i stock concrete etcher for cleaning up oil drips on my driveway and I just used that to refresh the concrete around my lawn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House