Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 11:19 AM

10,116 posts, read 19,448,283 times

Advertisements

Has anyone had their water suddenly "go hard"?

We've lived in the same house ~ 10 years, original owners. We've never had a problem with the water until recently. Just about a month ago I noticed the water in the kitchen getting "hard", that is, dishes come out from the dishwasher with a residue. Ok, I guess its always been somewhat hard, the shower doors in the bathroom are impossible to keep clear, I just gave up and installed frosted glass. I know they're clean, can't help the residue. But it seems the problem is getting worse, especially in the kitchen.

We're looking at moving soon, and either selling our home or renting it out. We do need to do some fixing up of the place, new paint, carpet, etc. I'm wondering if we should install a water softener at this point? If we're going to keep the property and rent it out it would be to our advantage to get a water softener.

I guess my main question is, has anyone had their water suddenly get harder, and if so, what could be the cause!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 11:39 AM

9 posts, read 52,362 times
Are you on a well or a public utility?

Old 04-14-2010, 12:03 PM

10,116 posts, read 19,448,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigankle View Post
Are you on a well or a public utility?
Public utility

Old 04-14-2010, 12:39 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,567,952 times
Contact your public utility to find out what changed and if it's something they'll fix.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:30 AM

286 posts, read 1,483,172 times
City water hardness can change at any time because they usually have multiple sources of water of varying hardness content due to do maintenance needs of/on the system or new sources of water being brought into service.

Old 04-16-2010, 04:39 PM

101 posts, read 546,431 times
City water can change but if this is something that hasn't happened for decades and then suddenly does then it is probably not just routine water variances from different sources.

They (municipal water suppliers) may have suddenly changed their water treatment methods. Nonetheless, nothing can be determined without finding out the actual water content through testing or monitored reports. Have you asked your neighbors about any noticable changes?

A softener may be the answer but check water quality first...don't just assume.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Old 04-16-2010, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy CWS View Post
City water can change but if this is something that hasn't happened for decades and then suddenly does then it is probably not just routine water variances from different sources.

They (municipal water suppliers) may have suddenly changed their water treatment methods. Nonetheless, nothing can be determined without finding out the actual water content through testing or monitored reports. Have you asked your neighbors about any noticable changes?

A softener may be the answer but check water quality first...don't just assume.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II
And yet if you look at a Water Quality Report of most water companies, either the printed one they must send their customers once per year by Federal law, or on their web site, you will see they state their hardness as Low, Average and High.

That is due to the reasons I stated earlier. So if you test and then size and program on the hardness you found in your test, the city may send you harder water and that will cause hardness to eventually get through the softener.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:57 PM

62 posts, read 257,270 times
So your suggestion would be that she do absolutely nothing ?

Old 04-17-2010, 03:36 PM

Sorry, she should buy a water softener using a Clack WS-1 control valve on it.

Old 04-18-2010, 09:58 AM

62 posts, read 257,270 times
There ya go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House