Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 10:00 PM

11,148 posts, read 10,725,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedratermi View Post
What about the floor under door jambs and casing? Do you take all that off too?
I now have an overwhelming urge to re-redo the floors... I'm not giving in though...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 10:42 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,056,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewba View Post
Wow, thanks for all of the replies. It looks like the opinions are as mixed on here as from the contractors who came out and gave us quotes. Two of them recommend removing the baseboards and two don't.

One who came out today says that he has a sander with an edge so thin that it can actually fit into the gap between the baseboard and floor. According to my wife, he was the most professional of everyone and actually says that he can refinish the floors in two days because he uses a water borne finish. I know that the water borne finish dries in just a few hours, but does it seem possible to do it that quickly and get a good result?
Don't use the contractors who want to remove the baseboards, it's a waste of time and a way for them to pad the job for more money.

I refinish several floors a year, my sub contractor never removes the baseboards. If he did, I would find a new sub to refinish my floors.

With equipment available today floors can be refinished without removing baseboards, damaging walls or having to cleanup dust throughout the house.

Good contractors use the best equipment available, bad contractors remove baseboards and damage walls because they don't use the proper equipment to complete the job right.

busta

Old 04-14-2010, 08:07 AM

792 posts, read 4,491,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewba View Post
According to my wife, he was the most professional of everyone and actually says that he can refinish the floors in two days because he uses a water borne finish. I know that the water borne finish dries in just a few hours, but does it seem possible to do it that quickly and get a good result?
That's definitely possible with catalyzed water based finishes like Bona Traffic or Streetshoe, the dry time is under 4 hours at 60% RH. The contractor could sand and stain the first day, let the stain dry overnight, and then 3 coats of finish the next day. Or, if he uses a fast-dry stain, he might even be able to do the first coat of finish on the first day. The catalyzed water based finishes like Traffic and Streetshoe are amazing products, and if you're going to be living in the house while the floors are being refinished, your lungs will really like it too.

Old 04-14-2010, 03:41 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,924,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedratermi View Post
What about the floor under door jambs and casing? Do you take all that off too?
Any professional will have a saw designed to cut the door jambs and casing to exactly clearance needed.

Old 04-22-2010, 11:05 AM

108 posts, read 402,019 times
It is not completely necessary. Many times if the baseboards are mdf or have been pained over many times it is just as easy to leave them up. If they are left up you can get right up to them, but often times it leaves a line around them from the edge sander. So you would probably need to do a bit of paint touch up.

Mod Cut: Advertising

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 04-22-2010 at 10:48 PM.. Reason: Remove Advertising Link

Old 05-20-2010, 07:50 PM

99 posts, read 612,916 times
I ended up going with the contractor who left on the baseboards and did the whole thing, including 3 coats of Bona Traffic, in 2 days. The floors look great and while the baseboards got a few new scuffs, I'm very glad that I didn't opt for a contractor who wanted to remove them.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:01 PM

11,148 posts, read 10,725,362 times
Glad to hear you got the project done and are happy with the results. Just don't think about that 3/8 of an inch under the baseboards with the old finish on it

Look at the new scuffs on the baseboards as "character."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House