Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 09:34 AM

3 posts, read 6,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Wouldn't it just be easier and less expensive to filter your drinking & cooking water with one of these?

[URL="http://www.berkeyfilters.com/index.html"]Berkey water filters[/URL]
What good does that do if you are bathing in this regularly as well? Filters can only take out just so much. Also, it says that if your copper piping is over 20 yrs old that it should be replaced. It does *pit* over time which will affect your water. No water filter can take care of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2013, 09:43 AM

1,256 posts, read 4,200,807 times
I would suggest doing a little more learned research rather than reading/listening to False Science tabloids; that probably would be a complete solution.

Old 10-02-2013, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibblesandbits View Post
I am interested in buying a house that says it has copper pipes. I have read about some health risks associated with copper pipes, specifically the body's effects of ingesting too much copper that gets into the water. Apparently Alzheimer's disease is also linked to copper pipes.

How can I find out the age of the copper pipes, and would an inspection tell me the condition of these pipes? Any thoughts about the health risks? Should I consider ripping them all out and having them replaced?
Read this for more information:
[url=http://www.propex.com/C_f_env_leadpip.htm]Lead Pipes, Lead Piping Hazards[/url]

Old 10-02-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibblesandbits View Post
I am interested in buying a house that says it has copper pipes. I have read about some health risks associated with copper pipes, specifically the body's effects of ingesting too much copper that gets into the water. Apparently Alzheimer's disease is also linked to copper pipes.

How can I find out the age of the copper pipes, and would an inspection tell me the condition of these pipes? Any thoughts about the health risks? Should I consider ripping them all out and having them replaced?

And another:
[url=http://www.ehow.com/info_7790795_old-piping-inhome-health-effects.html]Old Copper Piping In-Home Health Effects | eHow[/url]

Old 10-02-2013, 09:55 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,218,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sullyguy View Post
I would suggest doing a little more learned research rather than reading/listening to False Science tabloids; that probably would be a complete solution.
EXXXCCCCUUUUSSSSEEEEE ME, but what do scientists know??? They're all in on the Great Conspiracy to Kill All Real Americans! Who employs them? Da gubment! Dose left-wing colleges! The GD National Institutes of Health FCOL!!!!

Old 10-02-2013, 10:03 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,755,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sullyguy View Post

bingo !!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-02-2013, 10:40 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,181,710 times
Copper is a fantastic anti-microbial. Probably the best material going from that standpoint. The primary piping alternative, PEX, is known to leach ethyl tertiary butyl ether (ETBE), a chemical in the same family as MTBE, in amounts exceeding 100 ppb which can result in adverse health effects.

Old 10-02-2013, 05:49 PM

10,224 posts, read 19,253,364 times
I'm more than a bit suspicious of the claim that older copper leaches more than newer copper. If you have acidic water, whether your copper is new or old you will get leaching and copper stains on the sinks and tubs and pinholes. If you replace the damaged pipe after you get a pinhole, a new pinhole tends to develop in about the same spot (near the source), indicating it's not the age of the copper which makes a difference but how saturated the water already is.

If, on the other hand, you don't have acidic water, and you have any hardness, the pipes will over time become coated with mineral deposits. This should tend to reduce any leaching, either from copper or lead-containing solder, so new copper should be worse.

The claim that copper pipe should be replaced every 20 years (or on any regular schedule) is ludicrous.

If you have acidic water, you can get a neutralizer.

Old 10-02-2013, 06:09 PM

26,017 posts, read 22,209,069 times
At age 59, I have spent nearly every year of my life drinking and bathing in water from copper pipes. I have no health issues and neither do any of my family members. I, too, prefer copper to plastic no matter what name they attach to it, it is plastic! Seems like no matter what has been used for years and years, when something new is developed, they denounce what has been used and claim that everyone needs to update. Perhaps, that helps keep plumbers and electricians busy but I am sure that has nothing to do with it.

Old 10-02-2013, 09:49 PM

13 posts, read 15,491 times
I would be more worried about plastic or pex piping leaching dangerous stuff into my water more than copper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House