Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2010, 09:37 PM

689 posts, read 2,059,107 times

Advertisements

We bought a house with Giallo Veneziano granite on the kitchen counters. It's apparently very popular but we don't much like it. However...we have to stay with it for awhile. It has a six-burner gas cooktop set into the counter, up against the wall. The wall is just painted white. I want to put tile on it, so it will be easier to clean. I do a lot of high-heat cooking - searing meat, etc. and I cook soups and Italian dishes with lots of tomatoes. Grease and red spots are my life.

We've tried to find a tile to coordinate with the granite, with no luck so far. Do any of you have experience with matching this granite? Thanks.

If I've done it right, this link will show the granite pattern. It's the one on top. Giallo Veneziano. Granite and Marble Selection. Wide range of stone colors, patterns
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 06:34 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,672,071 times
Yes you are correct that Giallo Veneziano is popular but not necessarily because people like it. Builders like to offer it standard because it is the least expensive and easily available in large quanities.

Really just about any color goes with it. Pick one or several of the colors of the many in this granite and go with it.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:39 AM

487 posts, read 1,816,836 times
That is a busy pattern but you can go with a travertine tile in a light brownish shade. You can buy the matching tile to that granite but I would stick with a brownish tile such as this

Old 01-20-2010, 06:44 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,393,597 times
If you're concerned about grease and red sauce, I wouldn't use a natural stone like the tumbled travertine shown above. I'd stick with a porcelain or ceramic tile that looks like stone, as it'll be easier to keep clean.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:05 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times
You'll definitely need a smooth surface tile like porcelain if you're cooking with grease.

Keep the tile you pick a solid color. Pick one color that's in the granite you would like to draw attention to.

If you want the granite to look darker, pick a dark color. If you want it to look lighter, pick a light color that's in the granite.

I think nothing looks worse than when someone puts a patterned backsplash with a granite countertop.

Old 01-23-2010, 11:46 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,452,394 times
Well we have the cream of the crop in a granite, the most expensive, but with some of the colors in your granite, we have more of a pattern in ours, with golds, browns, beige, cream, black and a reddish brown, 2 colors,as your have in your granite. Our backsplash was done by my husband, we picked up the brown, and the beige, tiles for the backspash ours is up to 20 in. We did it with a stone porcelain look, and put the tile in alternating the 2 colors and offset it with black granite top and bottom, and every 8 tiles had a granite., in a trinagle pattern. It came out so beautiful, that everyone thought that we had a tile guy come in and install it. We understand we saved us at least $4000.00 we already had the tile. A real estate friend i know said the we did it right, because the 2 colors are picking up the colors in the granite and a nice contract to the granite. Hope this helps. You could pick up 2 alternating colors in your granite, better then just the one color.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:09 PM

2 posts, read 26,842 times
Giallo Venenziano will typically have salmon, beige and brown hues in it. Tumbled travertine or limestone would look best but somewhat harder to maintain. Take a look at Mexican tumbled trav or antiqued trav, both are smoother and less porous. The tumbled travertines will have the hues you are looking for.

Be sure the contractor applies a really good sealer.

Mod Cut: Link

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 01-30-2010 at 09:10 AM.. Reason: Terms of Service do not permit members with less than 10 posts to post links.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House