Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 01:16 AM

584 posts, read 2,148,309 times

Advertisements

I am going to install a new vertical blind set for my sliding glass door. Should the hardware go inside the frame hanging down, or outside about the frame on the wall?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 04:58 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
I would say neither because I don't like vertical blinds but in reality they can go either spot. If you hang them inside you just have to make sure they aren't too big as they interfere with the door. Most people have vertical blinds hung above the door though.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:31 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times
Either will be fine. Just make sure your screws reach a stud.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:44 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,664,764 times
I'm with Golfgal in not being a big fan of vertical blinds. But we all know everybody is perfectly entitled to their own opinions and preferences.

Vertical blinds are typically mounted so that, when closed, they cover the entire door - trim and all.

As stillkit alluded to, it is extremely important to make sure you have them screwed into the studs behind the drywall. Screws anchored into drywall can support lightweight curtains, but will not be strong enough to support the extra weight of vertical blinds.

Good luck!

Last edited by Omaha Rocks; 01-14-2010 at 07:07 AM..

Old 01-14-2010, 06:59 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,643,687 times
outside the frame, above the door so that the door is covered. Curious to those who don't like vertical blinds, what do you use for a sliding door?

Old 01-14-2010, 07:31 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,664,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgresident View Post
outside the frame, above the door so that the door is covered. Curious to those who don't like vertical blinds, what do you use for a sliding door?
We don't have a sliding door in the house we live in. It's a 1920s brick house.

But in a rental house, I recently replaced the old sliding door with the double-french door that has mini-blinds inside the glass. We then hung a sheer curtain, mounted outside the door frame. That's what the renters wanted, and I think it looks really nice.

As a bonus (and I know this is off topic), the double-french door set-up actually allows the doors to open to nearly 6' in width. This will be enormously helpful any time there are large objects to be moved in or out of the house.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:14 AM

5,118 posts, read 16,592,135 times
I love my vertical blinds. They need to be replaced but I've yet to find fabric vertical blinds that have the fabric on one side and a "black-out" fabric (kind of rubbery) on the other. All the verticals I've seen lately are all plastic or chintzy fabric. Vertical blinds work great for privacy and for little a little light in. Plus I have dog and she can just peek her head through the slats if she wants to look outside.

Mine are mounted on the wall above the sliding glass door.

I love the idea of french doors with the blinds between the panes. Or even a slider like that. My sister has a wooden framed sliding glass door with the blinds between the panes. They look nice and they're easy to clean.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:33 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,263,769 times
Mine are above the frame. I'll also reitterate that it is important that you hit the studs. The vert blinds are pretty heavy and will pull the screws out of the wall if you don't have them going into a stud.

I do not like vertical blinds either....would rather have curtains....Will probably swap them out for curtains one of these days.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:35 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgresident View Post
We have a valance on top of our sliding door and an inside mount solar shade to pull down over the windows. I LOVE the solar shade because it gives us privacy from the outside yet lets us see out when it is down while blocking out most of the sun. I am not a fan of curtains either so this was a good option for us.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:55 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,795,207 times
Outside of the door above the frame. The only way I would do inside is if 1) they are cut to the specific width and 2) this is important is if you have the recommended depth for them to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House