Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2010, 09:29 PM

424 posts, read 2,343,417 times

Advertisements

We just bought a 1949 ranch, it has plaster walls. There are several cracks that while aren't too noticible, we'd probably like to fix (for no other reason than for re-sale value in the future). We will also be taking out a wall-heater and will need to patch that spot. I've never dealt with plaster, I'm young and drywall is much more familiar to me. What do we need to know about these types of walls, and patching them up or even just fixing little cracks? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 11:22 PM

25 posts, read 344,463 times
Don't be surprised if the hairline cracks return. I've had several older homes with plaster walls and no matter how much patching and painting I did (by professionals), most of the cracks eventually returned within a couple years. Use special screen material to fill larger holes before plastering - ask for it at Home Depot. They have kits for patching plaster walls.

Old 01-14-2010, 12:31 PM

424 posts, read 2,343,417 times
well we probably won't fix the cracks until right before we sell it

Do you just use regular spackle for little holes and spots? or is there something different for plaster?

The wall heater is going to leave a huge hole, like over 2'x4'. That should be fun. I can see around it where they tried to patch/fill when they put the thing in, it looks horrible. I hope we can get it all fixed up.

Old 01-14-2010, 01:39 PM

17,484 posts, read 66,245,399 times
Plaster board, or blue board are still somewhat common. 1949 is a little late for lathe- but not completely. So, I'm going to venture a guess that your house is board.
Check this out:
Flawless Walls - Fine Homebuilding Article

Repairs can be made, you can even fill in holes- like you described. I've seen it done with d/wall but it usually cracks after awhile. Apparently, d/wall and blue board's different densities make them expand and contract at different rates.

Old 01-14-2010, 02:37 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,429,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Plaster board, or blue board are still somewhat common. 1949 is a little late for lathe- but not completely. So, I'm going to venture a guess that your house is board.
Check this out:
Flawless Walls - Fine Homebuilding Article

Repairs can be made, you can even fill in holes- like you described. I've seen it done with d/wall but it usually cracks after awhile. Apparently, d/wall and blue board's different densities make them expand and contract at different rates.
My current home, built in 1951, has lathe. Thanks for posting the article.

Old 01-15-2010, 04:53 AM

30,707 posts, read 79,987,040 times
For small cracks, you need to cut a reverse keway along the crack. (wider on the inside than the outside). Then fill it. This will prevent the patch from popping out. You also need to use a hard material. Drywall mud is too soft. Regular plaster is too hard and cannot be sanded. You can fill the crack 90% of the way and then tap over it with fiberglass mesh tape and then smooth that over with a skim coat of even drywall mud. I am not a fan of drywall mud. It is too soft and subject to dings and scratches. One beautiful thing about plaster is that it is very very hard and nearly indestructable. Paint holds up a lot better over plaster than over drywall or mud.

If you have a big hole and cannot get in to replace any broken lathe, use iamond lath (metal mesh). It is easy to cut to any size that you need.

If you decide to use regular plaster, find an old guy who knows how to do it. It is nto very forgiving. If you make a mistake and it sets, it is really difficult to trim down, fill, or sand. You really need it to be smooth to begin with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House