Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2009, 10:54 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,139,900 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever had to replace a cast iron baseboard heater? I'm trying to get an idea of how much it would cost to replace about a 10-foot section. We have a small leak so I had someone come out over the weekend and they said it looks like there might be a crack in the cast iron and that the entire 10-foot section may need to be replaced. He said it could be quite expensive. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 03:53 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Baseboard heaters are usually copper. However cast iron radiators in older houses were very common. If it is an older one, we found that the best way to get one is ot go to salvage places. We paid anywhere from $20 for a radiator to $15 per fin for fancier ones. It takes a lot of searching to find the right size. Size does nto ahve to be exact.

If you have the copper ones, they are cheap, just go to a HVAC supply store and buy a new one, or find one online. I owuld nto replace your cast iron with a modern copper one unless you ahve no choice. Cast iron is much more efficient.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:58 PM

733 posts, read 4,653,038 times
Cast iron, maybe...but there are steel versions as well. Interestingly, we have steel on the 2nd floor of our house and cast iron on the 1st. Along with a nice selection of traditional radiators. Anyhow, Coldjensens is probably right - a building salvage company is your best bet. Most of the cast iron/steel baseboard bolted up in component sections...so you you should be able to find some pieces. Remember, too, if it's steel it can be welded, so make that determination first, I suppose. In any event, DO NOT replace old cast/steel baseboard radiation with modern copper finned tube. I've seen it done and it doesn't work right as the heavy, old sections contain a lot more water and have significant mass to hold heat. If you've got this stuff in your house I would bet that your circulators run intermittently - or you might have a gravity system without pumps. Copper finned tube cools quickly so when it's mixed with steel/cast iron radiation it either doesn't do the job [with intermittent or gravity circulation] or you jack up the circulators to run more, and then the steel/cast iron shoots the heat over the target.

Good luck.

Old 02-18-2010, 02:30 PM

1 posts, read 26,469 times
Default Don't replace it

I have old cast iron radiators at my three family property, they run on a one pipe steam system. While troubleshooting a leak, I found that one section had cracked in the radiator, about three inches long. I cleaned it with a wire brush wheel on my die grinder, got it spotless. Then I used this two part epoxy I found at home depot (JB-Weld) to cover the area, I attached my shop vac to the inlet of the radiator to pull a vacuum, sucking the epoxy into the crack. Worked like a charm, saved me $$$. This was 5 years ago, still looks like the day I put it on.

D

Old 02-19-2010, 04:21 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek98997 View Post
I have old cast iron radiators at my three family property, they run on a one pipe steam system. While troubleshooting a leak, I found that one section had cracked in the radiator, about three inches long. I cleaned it with a wire brush wheel on my die grinder, got it spotless. Then I used this two part epoxy I found at home depot (JB-Weld) to cover the area, I attached my shop vac to the inlet of the radiator to pull a vacuum, sucking the epoxy into the crack. Worked like a charm, saved me $$$. This was 5 years ago, still looks like the day I put it on.

D

This is a great idea. We have one that leaks. I will try this. thank you.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:00 AM
gfc

1 posts, read 23,462 times
i have cooper system in my house, but a room above garage does not get enough heat. I was thinking installing one cast iron radiator. if i do it will be mixed, new (cooper baseboards) and one cast iron.
any one have the experience, will this work?

Old 05-13-2014, 02:51 PM

1 posts, read 7,790 times
are the nipple connectors for cast-iron baseboards brand specific, and if so, where on the baseboard is the brand name?

Old 07-30-2015, 01:49 PM

1 posts, read 5,216 times
I recently had renovations done and in the process a few end pieces for my cast iron baseboard heat got thrown away. I am trying to find someplace i can get replacements

Old 07-30-2015, 09:27 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
Has anyone ever had to replace a cast iron baseboard heater? I'm trying to get an idea of how much it would cost to replace about a 10-foot section. We have a small leak so I had someone come out over the weekend and they said it looks like there might be a crack in the cast iron and that the entire 10-foot section may need to be replaced. He said it could be quite expensive. Any ideas?
Here ya go: https://heatinghelp.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House