Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 08:47 PM

851 posts, read 3,628,081 times

Advertisements

My dishwasher has a problem.

One day I caught it dripping because the water overflows the bottom dishwasher pan (proper term?).

What I find out is that after the it reaches "Dry", it drains the water properly; however, after a day or two, water will come back (about 0.5 - 1 inch deep). I guess if i wait another day or two, it would overflow again.

What do you guys think the problem is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 08:52 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,088,087 times
Do you have a in sink garbage disposal and if so is the drain for the dishwasher hooked into it? Ours will do that if there is something clogging the drain and water backs up into the garbage disposal.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:53 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,677,074 times
I would start by checking the air gap (in my house its near the sink).

Old 10-06-2009, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Do you have a in sink garbage disposal and if so is the drain for the dishwasher hooked into it? Ours will do that if there is something clogging the drain and water backs up into the garbage disposal.
I think that's how they are connected. I'll take a picture on Thur when I go back again.

Where do think the clogging is? I actually looked the drain line with my totally inexperienced eyes, and obviously found nothing..

Old 10-06-2009, 09:01 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,677,074 times
there is a checklist on this site.
Dishwasher - Does Not Drain, Water Leaks From the Air Gap

Old 10-06-2009, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
Thank you so much. Let me go through that list on Thursday and see if I find anything.

Old 10-06-2009, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStupid View Post
Where do think the clogging is?..
The clog would be in the garbage disposal if you don't run it when there's something in it. The discharge for the dishwasher drain is high inside the garbage disposal. If you have some food in there blocking the garbage disposal drain when the water level gets up high it will go back down the the dishwasher drain pipe into the dishwasher. Probably should be a check valve on there or something but apparently there is none on ours.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:21 AM

Quote:
The clog would be in the garbage disposal if you don't run it when there's something in it. The discharge for the dishwasher drain is high inside the garbage disposal. If you have some food in there blocking the garbage disposal drain when the water level gets up high it will go back down the the dishwasher drain pipe into the dishwasher. Probably should be a check valve on there or something but apparently there is none on ours.
Should I open up the garbage disposal then?

Old 10-07-2009, 09:41 AM

You're not understanding what I'm saying, if you put stuff in the garbage disposal and don't run it then it might clog causing water to back up. If the height reaches the discharge for the dishwasher then it will run back into the dishwasher instead of backing up into the sink.

Solution is to run the disposer frequently instead of letting a lot of stuff in there.

You might have partially blocked drain for the disposer too, try running some water in it from the faucet and see if it's draining properly.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:59 AM

Quote:
You're not understanding what I'm saying, if you put stuff in the garbage disposal and don't run it then it might clog causing water to back up. If the height reaches the discharge for the dishwasher then it will run back into the dishwasher instead of backing up into the sink.

Solution is to run the disposer frequently instead of letting a lot of stuff in there.

You might have partially blocked drain for the disposer too, try running some water in it from the faucet and see if it's draining properly.

I haven't put anything but water through the disposer yet but not sure if the previous owner did or not. Water seems to drain through the disposer pretty quickly. I turned it one a few times too. seems normal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House