Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 02:58 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,840,335 times

Advertisements

I'd really appreciate any suggestions. This is a home in a newer subdivision, where the same floorplan/elevation is on several homes in the subdivision. Most of the homes are brick of a reddish variety, with a few white brick homes, and maybe 35-40% of the homes have brick + stone elevation.

Ideas on how to make the home "pop" more? Already have the two topiary in front, rocks lining the flower beds, and star wreath on the door... which have helped some. Perhaps more foliage? Shutters? Something else? Keep in mind the subdivision has an HOA and would have to get approval first, so nothing too crazy. Nothing too expensive either.

Attached first is a photo of the home in question; then that same home with how it might look with black shutters added; then a few other homes in the same subdivision where you can see they used stone on the elevation (obviously the home is already built so I don't think that's an option on this one) or columns to create interest.
Attached Thumbnails
Need suggestions for making exterior more unique (photos included)-original2.jpg   Need suggestions for making exterior more unique (photos included)-originalwithshutters2.jpg   Need suggestions for making exterior more unique (photos included)-althouse1.jpg   Need suggestions for making exterior more unique (photos included)-otherhouses2.jpg   Need suggestions for making exterior more unique (photos included)-otherhouse1.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 09:04 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,807,520 times
What about the other windows? no shutters? I would add colorful plantings to the flower beds. Nice house!

Old 09-28-2009, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookdaleresident View Post
What about the other windows? no shutters? I would add colorful plantings to the flower beds. Nice house!
Thanks for the suggestion!

The other homes in the subdivision that have exterior shutters only have them on the narrow windows. It might look out of place or over-done to have them on all of the windows...
Several other people I've asked said they thought it looked better as is with no shutters... maybe those are not as in fashion anymore?

Old 09-28-2009, 02:19 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,810,657 times
It looks like a cookie-cutter mcmansion to me. I'm an architecture nut and have a hard time getting past that disproportionate facade and lack of stylistic direction, but if it was my project I wouldn't do anything else to the exterior of house itself. Adding fake shutters would just make it look more cartoonish, and mess up the appearance even more.

The best way to jazz it up would be to upgrade the landscaping. Put a couple of trees in the front yard and a bed of colorful flowers across the front where the bushes are now. You could replace the front walk with brick or cut and stain a pattern in the concrete to make it look classier too.

Last edited by Chango; 09-28-2009 at 02:27 PM..

Old 09-28-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
It looks like a cookie-cutter mcmansion to me. I'm an architecture nut and have a hard time getting past that disproportionate facade and lack of stylistic direction, but if it was my project I wouldn't do anything else to the exterior of house itself.
Well, it probably looks bigger than it actually is.

That's the thing about this part of town... almost all of the homes look very similar. Whether built now, or 20 years ago. Some have shutters, some have rock on the elevation, and a few have front porches.
A few of the more wealthy areas have the huge stucco homes.
Other than that, they are very similar.

The only ones that are different are some of the ones built prior to the 1980's... many contemporary, some MCM, some bungalows.

Thanks for the suggestion on no shutters, and adding flowers!

Old 09-28-2009, 02:54 PM

Forgot to mention -- there are two oak trees in front (not seen in this photo which doesn't capture the whole front yard) and some of those shrubs in front do bloom in the spring, also not obvious in this photo.

What is this style house? Contemporary Georgian? What things that could be added would be fitting in that style? What about the front door porch light (inside to the right), doorbell button, or door handle?

Old 09-28-2009, 02:54 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,551,923 times
I agree about shutters and landscaping.

One thing I saw that does look nice on concrete [if allowed by HOA, sigh] is brick pavers on either side of the concrete. Maybe carried around by removing the stone and doing brick walls for the foundation planting - though that would be a lot of work.

Old 09-28-2009, 03:53 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,653,116 times
Quote:
It looks like a cookie-cutter mcmansion to me. I'm an architecture nut and have a hard time getting past that disproportionate facade and lack of stylistic direction, but if it was my project I wouldn't do anything else to the exterior of house itself. Adding fake shutters would just make it look more cartoonish, and mess up the appearance even more.

The best way to jazz it up would be to upgrade the landscaping. Put a couple of trees in the front yard and a bed of colorful flowers across the front where the bushes are now. You could replace the front walk with brick or cut and stain a pattern in the concrete to make it look classier too.
I vote this the best and most accurate answer. Probably because it is. You have a good eye and a good mind there Chango. Join in here more often will ya !

Old 09-28-2009, 04:48 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,810,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Forgot to mention -- there are two oak trees in front (not seen in this photo which doesn't capture the whole front yard) and some of those shrubs in front do bloom in the spring, also not obvious in this photo.

What is this style house? Contemporary Georgian? What things that could be added would be fitting in that style? What about the front door porch light (inside to the right), doorbell button, or door handle?
Real georgian style is very symmetrical and porportioned a specific way, but the mass of the house is all wrong for the style. Tacking on "georgian" details may hurt more than it helps (the aforementioned "cartoon" effect) and will definitely look dated in a few years. I see the builder already put on georgian-ish type pediments. They look wrong.

It's a contemporary house so go with contemporary style. They will look better than accoutrements which mimmic older styles. You just can't make the house stand out with mixing and matching light fixtures or doors, or other superficial decorative add ons. The house might even stick out more if it stops pretending to be something it isn't. For what it's worth...

Last edited by Chango; 09-28-2009 at 04:57 PM..

Old 09-28-2009, 08:18 PM

Quote:
It's a contemporary house so go with contemporary style. They will look better than accoutrements which mimmic older styles. You just can't make the house stand out with mixing and matching light fixtures or doors, or other superficial decorative add ons. The house might even stick out more if it stops pretending to be something it isn't. For what it's worth...
Thanks. I will try to remember to stick with the contemporary style elements. Which is great, because it's a style I prefer.
Inside, the builder put black wrought iron on the stair rails, and very traditional cabinets with the cabinet doors a little more ornate than usual. It's complicating the interior design some... at least the counter edges are contemporary.

Aside from the oddities with the architectural design, it's a very nicely built spec house. Lots of upgrades were included, taller than average doors, Energy Star appliances and Tech Shield on the roof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House