Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 12:51 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,097,805 times

Advertisements

I need to get a new water heater, and can use some input.

There is a tax credit that certain models (high efficiency) units are applicable for, so I'd like to get a unit eligable for that.

Thinking of going with a tankless high efficiency direct vent unit.

Is there anything bad about these units. It seems like hardly anyone has these, and for $800 a unit, I'm surprised there are not more of them out there. THey significantly save space and they cut back on heating costs. Is there something I'm missing? And is there a certain model or brand anyone recommends?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 01:15 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,907,407 times
There's a bunch of tanked water heaters that meet the requirements. They do not use any more fuel than tankless. I plan on using this, eventually. IT's a Kenmore Powervent Power Miser unit, 50 gallon, like 800 bucks + 30% tax credit I think.

Hard water and tankless water heaters do not go well together I don't think. They will also, in many cases require a new gas meter to meet up with flow requirements (typical gas meter maxes out at 275,000 BTUs. If you have gas heat (100k here) gas stove (up to 50k), gas dryer (40k), the tankless is going to be at least 150,000 BTUs. The exhaust systems on them are very expensive because they (at least not Rinnai) won't let you use PVC.

I've never really heard anything that great about tankless water heaters.

Old 08-17-2009, 01:58 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,097,805 times
Well hopefully the gas line wont be an issue. We are switching from oil to gas, so the gas line needs to be run anyway.

Haven't looked into the hard water issue at all.

The space savings seems really beneficial for me and is a major player in decision making.

Old 08-17-2009, 02:28 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,907,407 times
It isn't the line, it's the meter. If they are installing new service, you should tell them before hand that you're going to have an on demand water heater.

A reputable installer will install all of the fancy valves for cleaning out the machine. If space is the issue then I would go for it and just make sure to maintain it.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:11 PM

2 posts, read 12,808 times
I am coming from Eastern Europe where majority of people are using Tankless Combi Boilers, mainly Vaillant, Junkers (Bosch), and many Italian brands. I don't see a reason why on demand water heaters or boilers are not popular in North America.

They are much better than storage tank units, and if the hard water is problem for tankless, it will be for a stand alone as well, also anode rod consumption, rotten egg smell, frequent flushing.... plus they take more space, landfill issues. One advantage more for tankless, almost all components are replaceable.

Keep researching web sites like Bosch, Noritz, Rinnai, AO Smith.

Good luck.

Old 10-10-2009, 08:23 PM

10,180 posts, read 10,301,340 times
And I just learned the hard way that you need a permit to replace a water heater....make sure you look into that!

Old 01-05-2010, 06:01 AM

1 posts, read 2,748 times
Default Tankless Water Heater

I looked into a tankless water but the problem I ran into is installation cost.
Often the cost to install a tankless is much more than the heater itself. Some installers even insisted that they needed to put a larger gas line feed. I don't know much about all that stuff but I know the savings just are not there after the install cost. I decided to go with a 80 gallon tank water heater. Saved lots of money and still got my Energy rebate.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:25 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,960,026 times
We just replaced an old 40 gallon heater with a new 50 gallon one. Looked at the tankless models, but we're part of the majority of people down here with all-electric homes and the electric tankless models don't seem to offer the energy savings or heating power that the gas ones do at a reasonable price point, and we didn't want to go through the hassle and expense of adding a gas line just for a water heater.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:41 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,450,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
And I just learned the hard way that you need a permit to replace a water heater....make sure you look into that!
It depends on your state and township. In Michigan they changed water heaters to boilers, legally. Why?? The next step is only letting professional licensed people sell and install them. No Lowe's or HD. No hardware stores. I look for this at the end of this year.

Old 01-09-2010, 06:43 PM

15 posts, read 40,260 times
We just replaced our water heater 2 weeks ago. (Kenmore from Sears).
A few things I learned:
1. the rebate is very specfic. Maryland does not rebate any residential water heaters.

2. We asked the salesman at Sears, "would there be any other charges once the installers came to the home?" I brought my camera with photos. He said "Definitely not." But when the installers arrived, they said MD law requires 4" pipes instead of 3" pipes, $250 extra to install. (Water heater, install charges and 5-yr service contract were $1000, so that's a 25% additional charge.

(I later googled the cost of the material and it was $18.) We felt blackmailed. We did it, but I assertively and pugnaciously spoke with Sears customer service reps, saying that we had other old appliances, and I'd NEVER step foot in Sears again; I felt lied to. Finally, they offered 50% refund on the $250, and I thought that was fair, since we did need the wider galvanized pipe.

3. The "energy-star" water heaters sometimes have the pilot light go off often because a really fine screen gets clogged. And the non-energy star also have lining insullation, though it's in the fine print. The energy-star heaters stay off more often.

4. They will try to sell you a back up tank and a shut off system. Research this. I think the water heaters already have shut off systems

Etana, Maryland
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House