Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 06:57 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,057,446 times

Advertisements

Personally, I don't care for stainless steel, which would look out of place in our older home, so we chose white. White appliances go with any decor. Our kitchen has taupe-painted cabinets, granite counter tops, and a tumbled tile backsplash.

I don't find white appliances to require any more cleaning than other colors. Food prep in our house can get messy, so I'd be wiping appliances down regularly regardless of their color or finish.

Only you can decide whether or not stainless is the way to go. If you are thinking about selling your house in the near future, you might want to check out other kitchens in your neighborhood to see what's popular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 12:08 PM

18,478 posts, read 31,656,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperspal View Post
My kitchen is three years old and outfitted with black appliances. We looked at stainless & just ended up liking the black better - personal choice.
I was just in a really large appliance store with my friend this week - now it's her turn to be the overwhelmed one!

Saw a new - new to me anyway - appliance finish called 'bronze'. Sort of like stainless in the metallic sense but with a softer brownish/coppery hue.
I thought it was very pretty and warm for a metallic finish; but I also think it will be out of favor in 15 years. Life is short - get what you like.
yes, it is called "brushed oiled bronze" I believe, this is going to be the next rage, and this one I will get, and since its about my kitchen time, I will. It does a little remind me of the "coppertone" from the 70's, but I liked that too..

Ok, I admit, I am old.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:42 PM

681 posts, read 2,360,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
yes, it is called "brushed oiled bronze" I believe, this is going to be the next rage, and this one I will get, and since its about my kitchen time, I will. It does a little remind me of the "coppertone" from the 70's, but I liked that too..

Ok, I admit, I am old.
Not so old. I saw the bronze finish on a few Jenn-Air appliances at my local kitchen center and I did a little private happy dance. It is gorgeous and definitely an improvement on the 20th century coppertone, which I'm still a fan of as well. That's definitely what's going in my next house.

With the original question, I think stainless steel finishes are beautiful and definitely worth getting. However, I also think it is overrated because steel evolved into the "safe" finish chosen by the masses. Steel has become practically expected as an appliance finish, and that expectation is not good. Instead of the buyer choosing a finish that will work with the kitchen style, that person might be pressured into buying steel because "that's just what's bought these days".

Old 08-12-2009, 05:17 PM

2,514 posts, read 4,955,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittySkyfish View Post
Steel has become practically expected as an appliance finish, and that expectation is not good. Instead of the buyer choosing a finish that will work with the kitchen style, that person might be pressured into buying steel because "that's just what's bought these days".

Yep - comes back to the best way to decorate your own home is to follow your own likes, IMO. Whenever I watch the HGTV shows that repaint & "stage"
a home, I notice that they do it for 2 grand or less; even when refacing the appliances with "stainless" panels. Not that much in the big picture; especially
when 1) the $ is usually recouped in the selling price, and 2) if I like the looks of my kitchen, I might spend more time in there! (In theory, anyway! )

A friend of mine has her fridge & dishwasher fronted with the same cherry panels as the rest of her cabinets/cupboards. It's a very pretty look & wasn't
cheap. Now she's being told by a real estate pro that it probably wasn't a wise use of money. Oh well, she likes it!

Old 08-13-2009, 07:45 AM

18,478 posts, read 31,656,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittySkyfish View Post
Not so old. I saw the bronze finish on a few Jenn-Air appliances at my local kitchen center and I did a little private happy dance. It is gorgeous and definitely an improvement on the 20th century coppertone, which I'm still a fan of as well. That's definitely what's going in my next house.

With the original question, I think stainless steel finishes are beautiful and definitely worth getting. However, I also think it is overrated because steel evolved into the "safe" finish chosen by the masses. Steel has become practically expected as an appliance finish, and that expectation is not good. Instead of the buyer choosing a finish that will work with the kitchen style, that person might be pressured into buying steel because "that's just what's bought these days".
Oh Ok, I did not know. I did however see the Jenn Air stuff but they only have cooktops, not stoves??? is that possible.?? I do love it a lot, I only saw 1 episode on HGTV where they used it.

Old 08-13-2009, 07:54 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,057,539 times
It is silly to completely dismiss stainless as a choice - sometimes it is a good choice in a kitchen.

We moved into a fixer home last year that had older solid wood walnut stained cupboards in fabulous condition...pink laminate counters including the huge island., white appliances. The kitchen needed updating and brightening and stainless sink, appliances and hardware was the way to go. We chose a gorgeous graninte called gold and silver - so the silver of the stainless tied to the granite beautifully and the gold in the granite looked great with the cupboards.

The kitchen looks new, streamlined and we love it - black appliances would have looked terrible with the walnut cupboards and white appliances would not have worked either.

Use whatever appliance finish makes your kitchen look its best - be open to new possibilities.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:15 AM

635 posts, read 3,093,713 times
Talking What's old is new...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post

Ok, I admit, I am old.
Heh, Chambers stoves in the 1940s had this finish, or similar. Everything comes back around it seems

Al

Old 08-13-2009, 03:28 PM

1,212 posts, read 4,913,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_roethlisberger View Post
Heh, Chambers stoves in the 1940s had this finish, or similar. Everything comes back around it seems

Al
Gosh I hope so... I am still waiting for the "corduroy-knickerbockers-with-decker/penney-loafer-shoes" look to come back in style

Old 08-14-2009, 10:20 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,582,318 times
I just purchased new stainless appliances for my Kitchen. A GE profile refrigerator, gas range, over the range Microwave, and dishwasher. Not only are they awesome but the kitchen looks spectacular. As for cleaning just pick up some stainless steel cleaner. If you have pride in your kitchen a bit of elbow grease to make it sparkle never hurts. Being a military guy I'm used to preparing for inspections anyway. I like to make things pop.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:46 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,830,587 times
We are looking to have a home built by a developer, the carry the GE line and I like the ones pictured above, except I would like a french door with a bottom freezer. I don't know if I am able to select another something like this or have to go with what they give me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House