Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2009, 03:54 PM

9,285 posts, read 14,892,417 times

Advertisements

OK, a refrigerator lost its back foot and has 3 feet and a shim.

No, this is not a joke.

It's a large (22 cu ft?) older refrigerator in a rental house

The kitchen floor is not level in the built in area where the fridge sits- so what do I do first to get it back in on an even keel? Actually the kitchen floor is not level-- so if it's levelled when it's pulled out it won't be when it goes back in.

If I pull it out and attach something to it- it might not be level when it goes back into the spot- it's very hard to adjust once it's back in since it's the back foot- so any easy & brilliant ideas to solve this annoying problem??? (please don't say buy a new one- it'd be a thousand bucks)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 07:06 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,332,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post

No, this is not a joke.

The kitchen floor is not level in the built in area where the fridge sits- so what do I do first to get it back in on an even keel? Actually the kitchen floor is not level-- so if it's levelled when it's pulled out it won't be when it goes back in.

If I pull it out and attach something to it- it might not be level when it goes back into the spot- it's very hard to adjust once it's back in since it's the back foot- so any easy & brilliant ideas to solve this annoying problem??? (please don't say buy a new one- it'd be a thousand bucks)
I live in a remodeled farm house. Nothing is level or square. I just fold cardboard. After a while, level is not a priority.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:15 AM

3,067 posts, read 8,407,462 times
1. Temporarily remove the foot on the front and opposite side using shims to hold it in place.

2. Take the foot down to Lowes or Home Depot and find a bolt with the same thread pattern and length. Use it as a replacement, the bolt head can act as the foot.

3. Reinstall both feet. While the fridge is out find a level surface that both back feet can sit on.

4. Adjust the front feet considerably lower than the rear feet. Using a level make sure the back feet are level.

5. Slide the fridge back in and using a level adjust the front feet.

If your floor is so out of level in the 34" width where the back feet are then you may want to relevel the fridge only area. Not sure what you have on the floor there so can't comment on methods.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:04 AM

9,285 posts, read 14,892,417 times
Thank you so much will try that!!!

Old 08-06-2009, 08:13 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,666,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post

No, this is not a joke.

The first thing you need is a 2 foot level.

Check the level sideways and forward/backwards when it is sitting in the proper position.

You can go from there. If it's low in the back, where the one foot broke off, put a piece of 1x4 back there - or 1/2 or 3/8 inch plywood.

This really isn't that hard. It's a matter of shimming it.

Good luck.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:44 AM

27,337 posts, read 27,389,029 times
Believe it or not, many refrigerators come with adjustable legs, for that reason. Not sure if yours does, but you can ask your appliance dealer or simply look to see.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:53 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,291,381 times
Go to an appliance store and buy a new foot. They are usually adjustable.

Old 08-07-2009, 04:52 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewire View Post
Believe it or not, many refrigerators come with adjustable legs, for that reason. Not sure if yours does, but you can ask your appliance dealer or simply look to see.

The Op said one of the levelign feet wqas missing. Go to a appliance parts store with one of the feet to get another one or even look for a old frig on the side of the raod most are pretty much alike.Until then use a cut bloack of wood. Do not take the opthers off and set on floor because they need the opening cerated.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:55 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,728,087 times
Default Use a circular bubble level.........

The best thing to level any appliance is a lil circular bubble level. They are about as big as a silver dollar and have a bullseye center. Get the bubble dead in the bullseye and the appliance is level in all directions.

Most hardware, big box stores, etc will sell them. Toughest part is not losing the level or getting it all beat up in a tool box. I made a wood storage thingee about like a hinged hamburger press size to keep mine, has a locking clip. Level sits in its own cushioned nest. Keep it in a special place in a cabinet.

Shim with anything handy or use the adjustable feet, what ever works to do the leveling procedure. The bubble level makes it easy to figure out in what direction it is required.

Old 07-13-2011, 01:13 PM

1 posts, read 28,700 times
will an unlevel refrigreator freezer on top cause the refrigerator to malfunction -like freezer works but the bottom refrig part does not get cold
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House