Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 03:51 PM

1 posts, read 66,391 times

Advertisements

I just cleaned my fridge water/ice dispenser quite successfully. I used Tilex (yeah the stuff for the bathroom) and sprayed the entire dispenser very liberally. I let is sit for about 15-20 minutes then used one of my kids sports water bottles to rinse the heck out of it. I also used a bent toothbrush to reach some areas that didn't get clean other wise. Good luck. I was very surprised at how clean and white it all is now. I'm not afraid to get water and ice from the fridge anymore. It was pretty nasty up in there prior to cleaning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 12:23 PM

1 posts, read 65,841 times
Do not buy the Kenmore Elite side by side. It also has a issue with moldy water and moldy ice. We have a new one. Only 4 months old and I have to go buy ice and water because it taste so bad.

Old 01-08-2012, 11:10 AM

1 posts, read 65,626 times
Place a spray nozzle in a jar of pure white vinegar, and lots of q-tips and an hour later -- no more black mold on the ice & water dispenser of my refrigerator

Old 01-09-2012, 06:31 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
This is what you get when you don't replace the filter religiously. Also the dispenser needs to be used daily to continuously flush the system. This is what we got for the convenience of not having to open the door to get cold water & ice. Since there is no real way to pressurize cleaner into the lines to flush it out, you either need to replace the fridge or spend a few dollars and buy ice trays.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:21 AM

4,281 posts, read 12,663,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
This is what you get when you don't replace the filter religiously. Also the dispenser needs to be used daily to continuously flush the system. This is what we got for the convenience of not having to open the door to get cold water & ice. Since there is no real way to pressurize cleaner into the lines to flush it out, you either need to replace the fridge or spend a few dollars and buy ice trays.
I use my ice and water dispenser multi times a day and I replace the water filter but mold still builds around the ice shute and water dispenser nosle. I simply spray it with any house hold cleaner that has bleach/mold killers in it, brush what I can with a toothbrush, then flush it out good with plain water.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:59 PM

1 posts, read 63,574 times
I left my2 month old frig open while away for six months, and now that I am back, the filtered water smells like mold or mildew...so I am thinking it starts at the water filter that I never thought to remove? Has anyone ever had this problem? The ac in the house was on at 85 degrees..but something is seriously wrong..I have ordered a new filter and hoping that corrects it..fingers crossed

Old 01-14-2014, 10:13 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
What I've done in the past is gotten a filter housing with 1/4" connections, connected it between the fridge and the water supply, and used that to chlorine-shock (by adding diluted bleach to the filter housing) the plumbing inside the fridge. You'll have to search around for the amount of chlorine; I think I used a suggestion meant for water heaters and scaled it way down to the size of the filter housing, then guesstimated the amount of water inside the fridge itself.

Old 01-14-2014, 11:54 PM

5,048 posts, read 9,614,434 times
How old is your refrigerator? Maybe it's life isn't too much longer anyway.

Old 01-15-2014, 02:30 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
I get the same mold on my thru the door ice and water machine. Every 6 months or so, I spray a bleach loaded cleaning product up inside. Let it sit then brush it clean. Then I flush it with clean water quite a few times. I also flush water down it from the inside of the door. Quite a bit of spillage when flushing but so be it.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:11 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,822,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
My fridge that came with the house has a water dispenser INSIDE the doors... talk about absurd design. So it's meant for people to have the doors wide open each time they want a drink of water.

Anyway, I actually don't even like cold water or use ice regularly (my ice maker is constantly off and the space under it is used for storing food). I bet the filter and water in there is way funky by now, even if I flush it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House