Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 01:07 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,738,525 times

Advertisements

Today my husband & I noticed the sound of running water coming from under our house in the kitchen. There is a cold water line running in this area (no hot) that branches off to the icemaker and the outdoor spout. There are no leaks in the house. Husband went underneath and sees that there is another branch off the old pipes that goes straight down into the ground under the house. We think this is what's leaking. It is a short pipe that T's off and goes straight into the dirt.

Any ideas what this pipe could be? It's on the far side of the house from where the water main comes in. Maybe an old main? Husband is thinking of cutting and capping the mystery line, but not sure if this is a good idea without knowing what it is. There is no visible pooling water under the house, but we can hear it and our water main is loosing about 1/2 gallon an hour. So, not an emergency, but still trying to figure it out & fix it before it gets worse.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 01:49 PM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Could be to an old well, or an old lead to an outbuilding, or just about anything. Verify that all of your other plumbing connections aren't affected, then go ahead and cap it. If you have concerns, stick in a ball valve and use the valve to cut off the water. THen you can REALLY confuse folks who buy the house next...

Old 07-05-2009, 01:51 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,880,155 times
Get a plumber! Don't go cutting lines you do not know where they go or what they are for. If that pipe is leaking, you will see the water, if not right away...soon. You can also listen and feel the pipe to hear and feel if water is running through it.

Old 07-05-2009, 03:01 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Could be to an old well, or an old lead to an outbuilding, or just about anything. Verify that all of your other plumbing connections aren't affected, then go ahead and cap it. If you have concerns, stick in a ball valve and use the valve to cut off the water. THen you can REALLY confuse folks who buy the house next...
LMAO or the poor plumber that has to trace out the line. Thanks man. Seriously though, this is a good approach. If it does effect something you need, you can isolate it and fix it and then turn the valve back on. Sounds to me , since it goes to an outside bib, that it could be abandoned irrigation for something. But, if you cut in the valve so you can isolate it you will find out, with a little head scratching and thunkin'. I call these type of situations archeological expeditions. If your lines are copper be prepared to put some time in sweating in the valve ,however. copper lines that have been in service and wetted up for a spell can be a bear. You have to get the line dry enough to take a sweat, and thats easier said than done. Water in the lines can make you tear your hair out when working on in service copper. There is the old wadded bread trick, but you need to work pretty fast depending on how much water keeps tryng to run to your sweat point.

Old 07-05-2009, 03:29 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,738,525 times
Okay, so hubby decided to jump the gun and just cut the thing off... well, right now he's drilling a new hole in the house to put in a new outdoor faucet in a different spot since he's just going to cut the line off before the "mystery pipe". He also just noticed that water is starting to seep up through our gravel drive a few feet away from the house where the weird pipe is.

It's a 50 year old house, I guess the neighborhood used to be on wells, we are thinking it's some remnant of that.... must've broken somewhere under our drive wherever it was capped.

Guess we'll wait and see how this goes.

Old 07-05-2009, 03:51 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times
Default Shark Bite

https://hdsupplysolutions.com/wcsstore/B2BDirectStorefrontAssetStore/product_images/ThdsMroUs/72/727884.jpg (broken link)

Old 07-05-2009, 04:44 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanuaryGirl View Post
Okay, so hubby decided to jump the gun and just cut the thing off... well, right now he's drilling a new hole in the house to put in a new outdoor faucet in a different spot since he's just going to cut the line off before the "mystery pipe". He also just noticed that water is starting to seep up through our gravel drive a few feet away from the house where the weird pipe is.

It's a 50 year old house, I guess the neighborhood used to be on wells, we are thinking it's some remnant of that.... must've broken somewhere under our drive wherever it was capped.

Guess we'll wait and see how this goes.
OK, if it is from an old well, this is also a LEGAL issue. You need to contact your county health department in the AM. The well has codes to abandonment. They need to know. Our aquifers need protecting.

Old 07-05-2009, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I disagree. If it is an old well, it needs to be abandon to code. Water is life, protect our groundwater.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:37 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I disagree. If it is an old well, it needs to be abandon to code. Water is life, protect our groundwater.
It seems unlikely that it goes to a well. I suppose it could be capped off underground out in the yard somewhere, but to me anyway, it makes no sense. Why would someone leave a direct feed from the house running to an old well feed after hooking up to municipal water? Anything is possible I guess. She never said if they bought the place with public hookups already installed or if they did it after.. The county here is threatening to make us hook up to their water. FAT CHANCE! I'm perfectly happy with my well and I irrigate and have a bit of stock to water. Yea, they see dollar signs with crazily spinning meters out here where I am. I'll pay the power bill and pump all the water I want, thanks. Making all of us out on this end of the valley hookup to county water could very well end up in a shooting war.. At any rate , to the OP, do you know if there is an old well on your place? I seriously doubt there is going to be any hazards from your domestic plumbing posing any environmental hazards to the local groundwater if that line did lead out to an old pumphouse, but my curiosity is piqued as to what you traced it out to. I'm still leaning toward old irrigation of some sort. Oh, and what type of pipes do you have? Copper, old galvy (yuck) how old is your plumbing?

Old 07-06-2009, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
It seems unlikely that it goes to a well. I suppose it could be capped off underground out in the yard somewhere, but to me anyway, it makes no sense. Why would someone leave a direct feed from the house running to an old well feed after hooking up to municipal water? Anything is possible I guess. She never said if they bought the place with public hookups already installed or if they did it after.. The county here is threatening to make us hook up to their water. FAT CHANCE! I'm perfectly happy with my well and I irrigate and have a bit of stock to water. Yea, they see dollar signs with crazily spinning meters out here where I am. I'll pay the power bill and pump all the water I want, thanks. Making all of us out on this end of the valley hookup to county water could very well end up in a shooting war.. At any rate , to the OP, do you know if there is an old well on your place? I seriously doubt there is going to be any hazards from your domestic plumbing posing any environmental hazards to the local groundwater if that line did lead out to an old pumphouse, but my curiosity is piqued as to what you traced it out to. I'm still leaning toward old irrigation of some sort. Oh, and what type of pipes do you have? Copper, old galvy (yuck) how old is your plumbing?
If there is an old well, it has not been abandon to code or this would not happen. Really, you need to check codes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House