Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2009, 02:08 PM

45 posts, read 294,062 times

Advertisements

Omg!! I just bought my first home last week and we haven't even moved in yet! Found a Tag on front door with VIOLATION from PSEG (Our gas/electric Co)

It has Water Heater checked and states
"Backdoor ^S7 I am not sure if its backdoor or BRCKDR?? (on slip handwritten) - Also remove elbows from Flue pipe and pitch up

I have NO clue of water heaters.. I can call a contractor, but I wanted any insights/advice first, please help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 02:43 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,750,593 times
Isn't there a number for "PSEG" listed on the form to call with questions? If not, the number should be on your bill or even the yellow pages. Call them and find out what it means.

Quote:
"Backdoor ^S7 I am not sure if its backdoor or BRCKDR?? (on slip handwritten) - Also remove elbows from Flue pipe and pitch up
Not sure who here would be able to translate what you have writen, its a bit crytic, and even less clear considering there is a single quote mark, but obviously some of your commentary, too. Can't tell what is what.

Old 06-22-2009, 05:47 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,728,087 times
Default Just a guess.........

Normally they beef if the flue pipe is "Backwards" or if the water vapor can condense and not run back down the flue proper. That plus clearances around the flue pipe. Could the word Backdoor or DRCKDR maybe be the word "backwards" hopefully spelled frontwards? Might be a form of pigeon English from a girl that got too much diversity training up.

You can put the flue sections together backwards so each section joint will leak if any condensate is running back down. Sort of difficult to explain but each flue section has a fluted tapered end and a smooth (belled) end. If you do it one way, the section joints will not leak, do it the other, they may.

That and they want the flue pipe to not have lots of elbows, horizontal runs or a type of cold trap built in. Depending on the run, a pitched sloped run is preferred over a straight up run with elbows and then horizontal sections.

Maybe the good olde boy is a former doctor turned heater guru and he still thinks he is writing prescriptions. Calling about the problem is sure to get, ...... For English press 159...... for Malyaese Press 1.

Old 06-22-2009, 06:22 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,181,397 times
did you get a home warranty???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House