Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 07:30 PM

3 posts, read 62,762 times

Advertisements

Just yesterday I noticed our ceiling in the kitchen directly under our guest bath was leaking around the vent. There doesn't appear to be anything wet or leaking in the upstairs bathroom. Even after showers, using the toilet and running the faucet, the water doesn't appear to drip more or less. The air conditioning was not running at all yesterday when the leak started. We did have quite a bit of rain yesterday. I just don't want to spend an arm and a leg on a plumber if this is something we can fix ourselves. Any help would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 07:46 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
Often if you have a slow leak it can buildup and come out at a compaletely different location. I would get it checked because a constant leak could mean mold. If it wasn't there before the rain ;I would suspect a leak in the roof but yopu nevber know. I get up in the attic and look for a leak.I have seen roof leaks that came out at light fixtures even.Should be a water spot and wet wood where the leak is in the roof ;if that is it.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:13 PM

302 posts, read 2,232,008 times
Could be a leak at the roof at a plumbing vent stack flashing.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:07 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,436,018 times
My bet would be a corroded or damaged trap under the shower, or a leaking mixer valve. Pretty common.

Old 06-18-2009, 07:24 AM

How do we check that out?

Old 06-18-2009, 07:25 AM

And would it be hard to fix ourselves?

Old 06-18-2009, 07:53 AM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,754,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergenite View Post
Could be a leak at the roof at a plumbing vent stack flashing.
This gets my vote. Heavy rain, leak around the vent stack, water runs down the side of the stack and then drips when it hits a p-trap, the water then pools on the top of the drywall, then runs when the pool gets big enough. You see it around the a/c vent b/c thats where it had an exit.

As for checking it out/fixing it - go up to the attic and find the vent stack, then look to see if its wet or there is water damage. If so, then you'll need to get up on the roof and fix the flashing. Also, grab a ladder, remove the vent cover and hopefully there will be a gap between the duct and the vent cover, shine a flashlight in and look around for signs of water damage/mold. If you see water but no mold, do whatever you can to try and dry that area out (you may have to be inventive). If there is mold, you'll need to replace the drywall in the area of the mold.

If you don't find anything in the attic to indicate a roof leak, then go with Harry's theory and it may take a plumber and be a big mess

Last edited by rubytue; 06-18-2009 at 08:03 AM..

Old 06-18-2009, 09:04 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
Especailly look if the stack is one oif those rubber collars instead of a lead stack.They often leak as the rubber gets old next to the vent pipe.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:36 AM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,754,434 times
OP - did you find it?

Old 06-22-2009, 08:06 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,784,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicwright79 View Post
Just yesterday I noticed our ceiling in the kitchen directly under our guest bath was leaking around the vent. There doesn't appear to be anything wet or leaking in the upstairs bathroom. Even after showers, using the toilet and running the faucet, the water doesn't appear to drip more or less. The air conditioning was not running at all yesterday when the leak started. We did have quite a bit of rain yesterday. I just don't want to spend an arm and a leg on a plumber if this is something we can fix ourselves. Any help would be great.
I had a "leak" around the A/C register in the master bedroom about a year ago. This was pickling my noodle because there isn't a second floor or any pipes in that area. I had compromised insulation around my ducts that was allowing hot, moist air to directly contact the cold metal duct. Condensation was forming and running down the duct to the register where it found its way into the bedroom.

Sounds something like plausible, but you have a lot more possible culprits around a bathroom and the "no A/C" thing makes me more conservative...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House