Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 02:15 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,298,984 times

Advertisements

We live in a 1200sf, three bed, two bath house. The two bathrooms are just regular size. Both of them have the shower/bath combo where it is just one big plastic piece. that goes up the wall a little. Here is an example of what I am talking about, although this isn't ours..

Mod Cut Copyrighted Material

We are thinking of taking the entire shower/bath piece out of the master bathroom and making it just a shower with tile on the walls. Like this for example:

Mod Cut Copyrighted Material

My question is.. would that increase or decrease the value of our home? The shower would be nicer, but it will be the same size minus a bathtub (although there is still a bathtub in the other bathroom).

What are your opinions? Is this hard to do yourself or should we hire someone? Has anyone ever done this? What did it cost you? Is it easy to move the drain over also?

Any insight would help

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 05-13-2009 at 09:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 03:25 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,613,683 times
I am a shower taker, not a bath taker. I prefer a shower and would much rather have the updated, nicer, tile shower. However, whenever I watch House Hunters or smilar shows, the wife or woman of the house seems to want a bathtub in the master bathroom. So I guess it just depends on who you might potentially sell your current home to. How long do you intend to live there? If you're going to be there for quite some time you might just do what works best for you.

Old 05-13-2009, 03:42 PM

17,221 posts, read 57,161,817 times
I doubt you would make money on the project if you did it and then sold the house, if that's what you are asking.

Maybe because I'm an old car guy as well, but to me 2 bathrooms in the house that "match" and are "period correct", even if the period is the 1920's, is more to my liking than one like the first picture, and one like the 2nd picture.

Leaving well enough alone is always free, and always works...

Old 05-13-2009, 04:38 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,298,984 times
Well I hope we won't live in this house forever.. but we definately aren't planning on selling it anywhere in the near future. I just figure that if we want to take a bath we could always use the one in the guest bathroom. And like I said, our masterbathroom isn't huge, the tub is just a small regular tub (so it isn't like a selling feature or anything). I just don't want to make the change then lose more value of the home and have it be a waste of money, but I like the idea of a nicer shower with tile.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:25 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,922,623 times
As long as you have one tub in the house, change that other one out to your liking- it will not adversely affect the value of the house and trust me you'll love not having to step over the side of the tub to get in the shower.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:59 PM

165 posts, read 1,286,370 times
We did just the same in our new house. We have a nice roomy shower in the master bathroom and a tub in the second bathroom. I had plenty of people express their opinion that it would be a big negative when we decide to sell. When I ask those same people how often they use their soaking tub, the answer ranged from "never" to "almost never". We had a big soaking tub in the master bath of our last house that we used exactly twice in 18 years. Even without use, it still needed periodic cleaning and was a waste of space for us. Real estate professional were the most adamant that this was a mistake, so maybe most people really do ask for a soaking tub. I just haven't met any that actually use it.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:21 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,186,424 times
As long as you have one tub you'll be ok.
I just had one buyer nix an otherwise "perfect" house because there were two shower stalls and no tub; they have young children who are not ready for taking showers and doing over a bathroom wasn't something they wanted to do the minute they moved in.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:01 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,230,937 times
Oh well, guess I'm the oddball. Can't live without a bathtub, soaker or not. Personally, I would take out the cheap plastic bath, put in a real tub and nice tile. That is just me though.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:04 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,186,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post
Oh well, guess I'm the oddball. Can't live without a bathtub, soaker or not. Personally, I would take out the cheap plastic bath, put in a real tub and nice tile. That is just me though.
Not an oddball at all - I need a tub too (have two LOL)
After a stressful day, a nice long, hot, bubbly, relaxing bath does wonders

Old 05-13-2009, 09:33 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,377,109 times
It's easier to take a shower in the stand up shower because the floor is bigger and doesn't slope. So for some that's better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House