Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2009, 08:13 AM

1 posts, read 4,275 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I have a problem, Iwant buy Roof Windows

have experiences ??

hope you can help

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 01-04-2010 at 11:56 PM.. Reason: New Members may not post links per terms of service
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 12:50 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,711,602 times
I sold Skylights for a couple of years and would be happy to answer any questions you may have. Do you want them to just be plain windows, letting lights in, or do you want them to open and ventilate? Would you like wood on the inside? Just vinyl or aluminum? Home Depot sells plain jane skylights for fairly cheap. What kind of roof do you have? There are different types of flashing depending on the type of roof you have.

You can't just pop in skylights and be done with them.

Try velux.com. Great company and a wonderful product.

Old 04-15-2009, 01:53 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,768,912 times
I agree with Jetjockey all the way. Velux is generally the excepted brand for builders and DIYers alike. Wasco being a very close second best.

Stay very clear of any cheap Chinese immitations or your health will be at risk.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:00 PM

2 posts, read 24,312 times
i sell windows in ny, but i often recommend people to check out <a href="http://www.ballpark-estimate.com">window estimates</a>because they find prices on stuff wherever you are located. With my company we try to stay away from installing skylights because they will most likely leak later on. hope this helps!

Old 04-15-2009, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homefix View Post
i sell windows in ny, but i often recommend people to check out <a href="http://www.ballpark-estimate.com">window estimates</a>because they find prices on stuff wherever you are located. With my company we try to stay away from installing skylights because they will most likely leak later on. hope this helps!
All skylights will most likely leak? Is that the case if you are installing them or a professional? Just wondering because I never heard of one leaking in 3 decades in the biz.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:33 AM

30,701 posts, read 80,150,593 times
If you do not need them to open, look at Solartubes. They are areally easy to install and allow you do direct light where you want it. Much cheaper than sky lights too. We have a couple and love them. I wish that we had put in more, maybe later.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:11 PM

1,212 posts, read 4,924,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
All skylights will most likely leak? Is that the case if you are installing them or a professional? Just wondering because I never heard of one leaking in 3 decades in the biz.

I am not in the biz, but I have heard of this as well. My MIL had a skylight removed by insurance company because it leaked and caused damaged to her interior kitchen area. They do leak.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:58 PM

43,527 posts, read 77,570,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homefix View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcam213 View Post
[/b]

I am not in the biz, but I have heard of this as well. My MIL had a skylight removed by insurance company because it leaked and caused damaged to her interior kitchen area. They do leak.

NEVER, EVER:

...Believe a concrete guy who says all concrete cracks.
He is incompetent.

...Believe a roofer who says skylights leak.
He is incompetent.

Properly selected and properly installed Velux skylights should serve for 20-30 years without any issues unless hit by tree branches, golf balls, etc.
It is truly a shame that hack installers have fed the superstition that skylights leak.

Old 04-17-2009, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
NEVER, EVER:

...Believe a concrete guy who says all concrete cracks.
He is incompetent.

...Believe a roofer who says skylights leak.
He is incompetent.

Properly selected and properly installed Velux skylights should serve for 20-30 years without any issues unless hit by tree branches, golf balls, etc.
It is truly a shame that hack installers have fed the superstition that skylights leak.
Very true Mike. But the OP is just another one post one hit and run wonder. And the person who says all skylights leak is probably just as you said, a hack.

Maybe they buy Chinese skylights and Chinese concrete????

Old 04-17-2009, 03:13 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,261,410 times
I have seen alot of skylights leak but they usually share two traits: poor or improper installation and poor maintenance.

You can have a great product but if it is poorly installed there will be issues. Also if there are any requirements as far as slopes, flashing, overlap material they have to be followed. We can laugh and say that is a ridiculous comment but there are plenty of people at there who look at a drawing like it was a picture and just chuck together the end result. Also a lot of leaky skylights are simply aged/bad roof jobs- the skylight leaks like penetrations to the roof leak because someone has gone to long before addressing maintenance or replacing a roof.

I generally like skylights but understand why people are wary- a slew of bad installations in 70s and 80s tract homes have scared people of in the same way all the crap EFIS jobs from the nineties have rendered that product unloved. Its the old rule of thumb- a good job gets mentioned to one friend, a poor job gets mentioned to seven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House