Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2009, 10:21 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,666,913 times

Advertisements

Hey All:

We're going to be painting a rental house this summer. It was built in the early 60s and has your basic cedar siding.

We have a Home Depot nearby, and have used a lot of Behr Paint - all of it, up to this point, being interior paint. Though it's a bit on the spendy side I really like the Behr Paint.

Does anybody know about the durability of the Behr Exterior House Paint?

Anybody have a different brand you swear by?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 10:57 AM

6,196 posts, read 5,443,542 times
Not thrilled with there exterior paint, although I do like Glidden better as far as HD labels go. I would check Sher-Wms duration label, it is a good all over paint, primer/top coat in one. It is expensive but if you are painting cedar that has never been painted then it would equal out. Just besure to pressure wash first then do your prep, the final job depends on how you do the prep, don't skimp or skip on prep.

Old 03-27-2009, 11:35 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,666,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the painter View Post
Not thrilled with there exterior paint, although I do like Glidden better as far as HD labels go. I would check Sher-Wms duration label, it is a good all over paint, primer/top coat in one. It is expensive but if you are painting cedar that has never been painted then it would equal out. Just besure to pressure wash first then do your prep, the final job depends on how you do the prep, don't skimp or skip on prep.
Hey - thanks for the advice!

The paint that is on the house now is actually in pretty good shape, though faded. And definitely a color from a different era - if ya know what I mean.

When you say to power wash it, you're not suggesting using the power washing to strip some of the old paint off are you? I've heard a lot of people talk about this, but I'm pretty sure it would seriously damage the siding.

Old 03-27-2009, 03:46 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,088,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Hey - thanks for the advice!

When you say to power wash it, you're not suggesting using the power washing to strip some of the old paint off are you? I've heard a lot of people talk about this, but I'm pretty sure it would seriously damage the siding.
I do not like any BEHR exterior paint product. Used it on a porch once with a strong southern exposure and it didn't last very long. Go with a higher grade of paint like the Sherwin Williams Duration as mentioned above or something from Benjamin Moore, MAB, Duran, etc. Sure, it costs a few dollars more per gallon but it's worth it.

Power washing will remove old paint, debris, dirt, etc. You want the cleanest surface possible. You can adjust the power washer so that it's not tearing up the wood. If you see some of the wood coming off, then it's too strong. Good luck with your project!

Old 03-27-2009, 03:49 PM

733 posts, read 4,653,440 times
We've used Sherwin-Williams for years and its Duration most recently. Uniformly good results and the folks at the S-W Store are a great resource, know what they're selling, and want to help you get a good result.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:47 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,948,076 times
Behr exterior products have not served me well at all. I would use Sherwin-Williams.

Old 03-28-2009, 12:04 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,392,991 times
I live in Hawaii where the climate is very hard on everything. I used Behr on my stucco with wood trim house, about 4 years now and it has held up well. No argument tho, about the other brands mentioned. We add an extra mildewicide here to all paints.

Old 03-28-2009, 08:24 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,789,091 times
I'd recommend picking finding the most recent Consumer Reports article where they review paints. They've spent years running experiments to find out which paints and stains have the best durability and their studies can't be beat - it's one the things they do best. You can probably get the info from their website.

Old 03-29-2009, 03:02 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
Are yuo sure it not a opaque stain used on ceder siding.Most don't recommend paint on cedar.

Old 03-29-2009, 11:50 PM

83 posts, read 259,447 times
Sherwin William is much better for me.. I have tried Behr before but not satisfied with the outcome.. You can also try My Perfect Color.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House