Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 09:38 AM

1,776 posts, read 4,003,325 times

Advertisements

Is there any difference between siding brands?

I need some work done on my house. The wood siding in the roof gable area is going, and at this point, vinyl is easiest for me in terms of solution. So far I have had 2 contractors come (the third is this evening), and CertainTeed and Crane are the 2 brands. I'm going to hear the third guy out tonight.

Any brands that immediately stand out as definite YES or NOs, or is all vinyl the same?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 10:08 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,111,814 times
We use Mastic Aluminum Siding, Vinyl Siding, Insulated Siding: Mastic Products on our homes... We use their
Brentwood and Quest vinyl sidings.

yes, there is a difference in panels, no, all vinyl is not the same.

Quest costs about $20 per square more..but it is a stronger, more rigid panel. We have also used CertainTeed.Wolverine vinyl siding..but I really prefer the Quest ....it has the crispest finish look.

I see you are in SE Pa... are you close to a Kohl's Building Products? You could go there to see the difference in panels for yourself. I know there is one in Reading...

Old 02-19-2009, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poconoproud View Post
We use Mastic Aluminum Siding, Vinyl Siding, Insulated Siding: Mastic Products on our homes... We use their
Brentwood and Quest vinyl sidings.

yes, there is a difference in panels, no, all vinyl is not the same.

Quest costs about $20 per square more..but it is a stronger, more rigid panel. We have also used CertainTeed.Wolverine vinyl siding..but I really prefer the Quest ....it has the crispest finish look.

I see you are in SE Pa... are you close to a Kohl's Building Products? You could go there to see the difference in panels for yourself. I know there is one in Reading...
Thanks. I hate this part of the process.....they all look the same to me What I will say is that in the past I HATED vinyl, but some of the finishes do look like real wood.

I don't think I'll have time to go to Reading, I live right outside Philly, and I just want to get this done.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:11 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,063,738 times
I had insulated Craneboard 7 put on my home 18 months ago, and have to say I like it a lot.

I have installed a fair amount of cheap and mid-grade vinyl, but the Craneboard is a significantly heavier product.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:36 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
Just ,make sure that everything is sound under the vunyl siding. Also i would use alumiumj facial of the overhang which most contractors how do. Look at some of the manufacturers site on proper instalation as it will make a huge difference in how it looks in a few years with the expansion and contract by heat and cold.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:38 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,646,391 times
In our business we installed vinyl siding for years. We used Wolverine if that is still around. We also offered the Mastic Brentwood as a second lessor cost choice. Certainteed is just fine too but I never liked their lack of color choices. Seemed like all shades of tan which is the most ugly color for a house was all they had.

You will be just fine with any brand. Basically they are pretty close to the same. Different colors, different textures, different shapes. 8" simulated boards, double 4" simulated boards and even a 10" panel with tripple 4s were available.

Make sure they put half inch foam board over whatever siding you have. They will fur out all the window and door openings and wrap them with trim coil. Your rafter or rake boards as well as all the facia boards will also be wrapped with your choice color trim coil. Under the eves will get usually white soffit perforated vinyl panels because IT MUST BREATH.
The half inch foam board will give them a smooth surface to apply the vinyl panels and will add about a 3 R value to your home. Oh yea...one mistake some vinyl siding installers do is to nail the vinyl panels tight. Make damn sure no nail is nailed all the way. The vinyl panels MUST move with the temperature changes. If they nail all the nails in tight the entire house of vinyl panels will buckle the first time the temp changes 20 degrees. The nail slots on the vinyl panels are egg shapped for this very reason so DO NOT let them nail the nail home.

Good luck.........

Last edited by desertsun41; 02-19-2009 at 01:44 PM.. Reason: spell

Old 02-19-2009, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I had insulated Craneboard 7 put on my home 18 months ago, and have to say I like it a lot.

I have installed a fair amount of cheap and mid-grade vinyl, but the Craneboard is a significantly heavier product.
Does heavier mean better? And would you consider Crane cheap or mid-grade?

Old 02-19-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Just ,make sure that everything is sound under the vunyl siding. Also i would use alumiumj facial of the overhang which most contractors how do. Look at some of the manufacturers site on proper instalation as it will make a huge difference in how it looks in a few years with the expansion and contract by heat and cold.
I'll keep that in mind. Thanks.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
In our business we installed vinyl siding for years. We used Wolverine if that is still around. We also offered the Mastic Brentwood as a second lessor cost choice. Certainteed is just fine too but I never liked their lack of color choices. Seemed like all shades of tan which is the most ugly color for a house was all they had.

You will be just fine with any brand. Basically they are pretty close to the same. Different colors, different textures, different shapes. 8" simulated boards, double 4" simulated boards and even a 10" panel with tripple 4s were available.

Make sure they put half inch foam board over whatever siding you have. They will fur out all the window and door openings and wrap them with trim coil. Your rafter or rake boards as well as all the facia boards will also be wrapped with your choice color trim coil. Under the eves will get usually white soffit perforated vinyl panels because IT MUST BREATH.
The half inch foam board will give them a smooth surface to apply the vinyl panels and will add about a 3 R value to your home.

Good luck.........

Thanks! The salesman are trying to pitch that "ours is the best in the business" business!

Old 02-19-2009, 01:46 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,063,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
Does heavier mean better? And would you consider Crane cheap or mid-grade?
I would consider the Craneboard 7 to be top end quality for vinyl siding. And I like that the insulation is bonded to the back of the siding, not just laid in loose. It makes the siding much stiffer. You can really tell when you rap on it with your knuckles.

The only way to get significantly better quality siding would be to go to a vinyl shake shingle or other very expensive profile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House