Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2009, 07:49 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,737,842 times

Advertisements

I am a pretty new homeowner and have owned my house for 3 months now (resale). I am having a plumbing problem (suddenly) and need advice. Neither toilet will flush. They were working properly today and there is no need for them not to be working. I used the extra bathroom and noticed the water would not go down. I tried plunging and nothing happened. It dawned on me that while taking a shower a couple of hours ago, the master toilet gurgled. I thought it was odd at the time, but forgot. So, I ran to the other bathroom and that toilet will not flush either. I have ran water down drains for a few minutes and that seems to be fine. What could be wrong? Could it be frozen or something?! How do I fix this? I called my parents and they weren't any help. Please help!
TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 08:58 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,152,426 times
Are you on a septic tank? If so, there might be issues with that. But, as you mentioned, it's been really cold in NC lately, so that might come into play also.

Oh, forgot to ask, did you get a home warranty? If so, definitely call for service using the number given.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:06 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,737,842 times
I have city water and sewer.
And, yes, I have a home warranty.
I guess I'll check it in the morning and hope it corrects itself! If not, I will call.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:35 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,978,655 times
Check the air vent of plumbing, it maybe blocked.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:52 PM

23,608 posts, read 70,476,785 times
More info, please. Do the toilets back up against each other with a common wall between them? Are the toilets backed up to an outside wall? Is there a crawlspace or basement? Is that area heated? Do ALL the other drains drain properly?

My gut thought is that for the problem to happen that quickly, there could be a frozen trap in a waste pipe. At the cost of a couple of bucks, you could run pure hot water somewhat slowly through the sink or shower closest to the toilets. The slow running HOT water MIGHT heat the drain pipe (especially if it is cast iron) sufficiently to melt the clog. Then again, it might not. The only reason I'm hoping it could is that you heard that gurgle while you were showering. If that doesn't work, and you can't access the drain pipes to gently heat them with a hair drier or some such, then you will be calling a plumber.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:51 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,740,813 times
Default Frozen drain line under the street or somewhere outside.......

What has your outside temps been???

They may not bury the main drain lines under the street that deep. Might have frozen in the main line itself. Traps in the main line are not that common any more. In many places they are illegal.

I was surprised to find my drain line in Ohio only buried a tad over knee deep. Used to them being 5 feet of more in New England. With all the cold weather extending down into the south is a good possible cause. Single digits temps for days on end, the frost line will get down to a shallow line.

It is unclear from the description if the main drain line will pass anything at all. It can also be snow got down or over the main drain vent line that goes thru the roof. See if it appears open by looking on the outside. Better if you can get up on the roof, look down in with a strong flashlight.

Best guess is frozen or blocked main line. Where does the main line leave the basement. How far down does it appear under the soil outside? That will give an idea of the depth buried.

Or is this on a slab or pier foundation? If so again a common problem, if the ground can freeze at the surface.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House