Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 08:38 AM

350 posts, read 4,157,634 times

Advertisements

I am just a renter, but one of my neighbors (don't know which one) is using their wood fireplace a lot, and I can smell the smoke in my house, even though all the windows are closed. If I open the front door the smell is really strong. After doing some research on this it turns out that wood fireplace smoke is toxic and can lead to a bunch of respiratory illnesses. I am worried about my family and my animals, as they are also breathing in this crap.

Have other people had problems with this? This is the first time I've ever had this problem. My husband and I are thinking about buying our first house this summer and I am worried about buying a house near neighbors who use their fireplaces. Can anything be done about this?

I imagine this is a pretty common problem.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:45 AM

2,223 posts, read 2,218,116 times
I cannot imagine that this is anything other than a weird fluke - and it's primarily weather related. Smoke will normally rise, and if there is any wind at all, it will quickly blow away.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:46 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Plus, if it were all that toxic, you wouldn't be here to complain, because all of your ancestors would have died off!

Old 01-14-2009, 09:00 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,208,805 times
To address the toxic issue, you are over reacting. Sure there can be "toxins" emitted but you have to look at the dose/response data and effects screening levels and be able to understand the data to fully assess the situation. Anything can be toxic, including pure water but you drink it anyway.

As for why you are getting smoke. Could be one of a couple of things. The 3 possibilities that come immediately to my mind are 1) particular weather effect that causes a downdraft and may be aided by vegetation or other structures "blocking" the emissions to keep them from diffusing. 2) the neighbors may have a structural issue with their chimney cap and 3) you are particularly sensetive to the smell of smoke. It is not unusual to smell a little smoke when folks have their fires going. It is unusual for it to be intense.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:08 AM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Your answer would be to move to south Florida where there are very few fireplaces. HOWEVER... down there you would have to put up with the Everglades burning over every year, and THAT smoke, what with the Melalucca, actually can be toxic. Fireplace smoke is rarely serious unless you are sitting on the chimney or have an unusual sensitivity as noted in other posts. If you were next to someone with one of the older wood-fired whole house boilers, you might have a case, since those go 24/7 and are notorious for unclean and inefficient burns.

In short, I too think you are over-reacting. I'll admit to having a strong negative gut reaction to your post for a number of reasons, and I'm glad I don't live near you, but if the smoke is bothersome to you and you live in a municipality, there might be some zoning laws that could come into play. HOAs may also have some restrictions, along with restricting everything else that you can do, so you may find life in one of those places rewarding when you eventually buy a house.

Just be aware that you will run into a lot of resistance from people out in the real world with your complaints. If you moved next to me and complained about my smoke "crap" out here in the country, I would tell you to go suck pondwater. My other neighbors would undoubtedly not be as nice.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:57 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
If you moved next to me and complained about my smoke "crap" out here in the country, I would tell you to go suck pondwater. My other neighbors would undoubtedly not be as nice.
Haha. I'd throw him a dust mask and say stop "now stop your whining or move", lol.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:06 AM

22,565 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kibblesandbits View Post
My husband and I are thinking about buying our first house this summer and I am worried about buying a house near neighbors who use their fireplaces. Can anything be done about this?
Yes.
You can move to a place with plenty of acreage, so that you won't have to deal with neighbors.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:08 AM

1,354 posts, read 6,375,821 times
My advice is not to move next to anyone with a fireplace.

I don't know why your house would smell like smoke. I live in an area that is almost exclusively heated by wood stoves. On a really cold day with no wind, you can smell the smoke outside, but never inside.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:23 AM

1,318 posts, read 5,270,863 times
I for one agree with the OP. I HATE the smell of smoke from
FPs coming in my house. And yes, it happens. I just dont think
FPs are smart in residential areas. Woodburning ones that is.
Plus they are dirty and messy inside the home. This is just
my opinion. We just close our windows when we get a whiff, but
its a shame as we like fresh air at night,but fail to get that when
FPs are going anywhere near. No one in MY neighborhood has one,
we all have gas FPs here. Its the older homes behind us that have
them.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:44 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times
I bet your neighbor is using wood that hasn't been aged enough or isn't untreated hardwood.

I smell wiffs here and there where I am at but nothing really strong. Wet wood and treated wood stinks and smokes like crazy. I don't think you are over reacting. Try getting a air filter for the house and some potted plants to help clear the air. Some people don't realize how much smoke can damage you or create reactions in those who are sensitive.

Try putting plastic over the windows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House