Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 08:33 PM

421 posts, read 3,228,886 times

Advertisements

Its in Los Angeles, attached, standard 2 car on slab.

The guy isn't putting in floors or electricity or doing any painting. He is adding one window to the new wall and finishing the outside in stucco.

Doesn't $7500 seem high?

This would be without permits
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 08:42 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,751,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panks View Post
Its in Los Angeles, attached, standard 2 car on slab.

The guy isn't putting in floors or electricity or doing any painting. He is adding one window to the new wall and finishing the outside in stucco.

Doesn't $7500 seem high?

This would be without permits
No painting. What exactly are you getting? Sounds like a ripoff.

Then again I paid $800 for a guy who took 2 days to paint a restroom no bigger than a coat closet.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:51 PM

421 posts, read 3,228,886 times
Good question!

He is adding insulation between the studs, putting up the sheetrock and taping etc (no painting), removing the garage doors and making a wall with a window instead and finishing the outside of the new wall with stucco.

It seems high to me also..but I wanted to get other peoples opinions..

What do you think it should cost?

Old 01-13-2009, 09:13 PM

2,223 posts, read 2,226,956 times
Seems pretty danged high to me. 2x4 studs are cheap, as is drywall. And insulation isn't particularly expensive.

On the other hand, maybe that's just the going rate in LA.

I guess I'd get another bid.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:02 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,930,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filet Mignon View Post
I guess I'd get another bid.
Exactly. You should get at least 2 or 3 bids.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:13 PM

48,502 posts, read 97,025,017 times
Sounds like he is converting more than just the insdie by the stucco outside. Areas differ in price.so get other known reliable contractor bids.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:34 PM

563 posts, read 1,452,470 times
It really is more work than you realize. I'm not positive of the value of his work. But here's some suggestions:
Make sure the guy is licensed and bonded. Protect yourself and your property! If he is licensed, you have recourse legally if he screws you. Check his references.
Get the permits! When you go to resell, the lack of permitted living area is going to bite you in the butt! We are currently remodeling a stick-built, stucco home with 3 room additions and a carport that were not permitted. My SO is a licensed Specialty Contractor. A bank would not lend on the home, so it is owner-financed. Guess what? Those rooms must be demolished before we can begin to entertain buyers that have to finance the home. Permits can sometimes be had after the fact, but I would not take the chance and in our case, the workmanship was so, let's say...casual...that it would be impossible. I know permits are expensive and inspections can be a hassle, but it will be worth it. Even if you don't plan on selling the home, why leave the mess for your kids when you're gone?
Check the guy's work...make sure he doesn't burn you for time or materials. It's an old contractor trick. Keep an eye on him! Trust not your fellow man!
Good luck with the renovation!

Old 01-14-2009, 12:25 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,968,726 times
Being in LA or So Cal you should get a bldg permit from the Bldg Dept. A small plan showing the existing structure and what is to be removed and the addition to be added.
They would have to inspect the studs for code construction on the cement floor...insulation and sheetrock also... and the window needed plus they will inspect the stucco each step of the way.
Each procedure may have to be signed off before the next step since it is to be a living quarters.
Why not add elect outlets instead of just the ceiling light.
Not sure if you need a electrical contracter to do the wiring. If this person is licensed he should be able to do all of it before installing the insulation and drywall.
As to price...get some bids from LICENSED contracters and save a future headache.
Remember that the house was originally built to code and is shown on the citys records as such and any modification will also have to be kept in line with todays codes otherwise there will be big doo doo when time comes to sell in the future.
Studied architecture decades ago so do know requirements have changed over the yrs. Steve

Old 01-14-2009, 02:09 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,220,129 times
Actually, it sounds too good to be true to me. A good stucco job can be expensive. And it looks terrible if it isn't done correctly.

Doing it without a permit is risky. Be sure that all your neighbors are happy to know you. Otherwise, one of them may just report you and that's where it can really be expensive.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:48 AM

821 posts, read 2,041,388 times
Why dont you at least get three bid and then from there you would be able to see. Anytime I have anyone come to my house to do something I look for free estimates get three of them and then decide which is going to be better for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House