Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 06:01 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,706,253 times

Advertisements

Alrighty, then...

In addition to the regular 'old home' inspection we hired prior to the contract, also requested a radon inspection on our own dime. Findings read at a level of 9, if I recall correctly...the sellers paid for complete mitigation of the crawlspace, as we had offered them the full asking price. This was the wiggle. We bought the house.

Now readings after installation are below 1.

(The pump and fan are very quiet. Our A/C on the other hand...)

I grew up in an ancient house with lead paint, toxic dirt, certainly lived on top of Radon and drank lighter fluid. Lived dangerously.

But I will now err on the side of caution, since I have both a toddler in the house, a studio at ground zero and 'smoked like a dragon for 20 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 06:20 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
Certainly but I would try to get a substantial discount. I figure I'll be dead of old age well before the radon bugs got me.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:36 PM

1 posts, read 3,491 times
I just recently bought a house, and tested for Radon, and Radon level came high (4.9) in the basement. It also has a crawl space for the addition. There is a huge rock in the middle of the crawl space. My concern is that if the rock is giving off Radon.

Old 03-19-2014, 11:33 AM

2 posts, read 3,076 times
I am currently in the market to buy a home that has radon in it. A mitigation system has been installed and the levels are 2.7 I am freaking out! We love the home but this whole radon thing has made me feel extremely vulnerable. I am unsure what to do and how to proceed. I have two small children and my husband is a smoker (I read smokers are at more risk of lung cancer due to the radon)not that smoking is a plus anyway... Maybe the radon will help him to quit, lol

I guess I'm just worried that growing veggies and playing in the basement could cause an illness for my children that I could have prevented.

Thanks
yourgirlheidi

Old 03-19-2014, 12:49 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Default Don't be an ignorant fool

The EPA limit for concern is 4.0 pico curies per liter.
Read A Citizen's Guide to Radon | Radon | US Environmental Protection Agency
Relax.
Enjoy the house.

And, tell your husband to quit smoking as the secondhand smoke will do far more damage to his children than the radon.
http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancerc...condhand-smoke
http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/campaign/tips/diseases/

Old 03-19-2014, 01:58 PM

3,609 posts, read 7,921,245 times
1. 2.7 pc/L is an acceptable result after mitigation.

2. Consider a new post rather than necroposting.

Old 09-25-2014, 07:56 AM

1 posts, read 2,026 times
Smile Yes I would!

My husband and I have found the perfect home! During the home inspection, they discovered a high level of Radon. We negotiated a discount on the price to pay for a mitigation system for the home after calling around and asking lots of questions and advice. My husband said he would much rather live in a home with a mitigation system, than living in a home not knowing if Radon is in the home and not having a system. He's looking at it as peace of mind. The system we are having installed will have a gauge on it to monitor that it's working properly. Most systems have a lifetime warranty, other than a 5 year warranty on the fan. We are comfortable with our decision. Good luck! To answer your question, Yes! Just take the necessary precautions!

Old 09-25-2014, 04:07 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,241,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Yup. And I'd light up a cigar in the basement too. And drink a beer.
How about run with scissors?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House