Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 09:04 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,526,102 times

Advertisements

Well, my heat pump seems to be running and running. It has been running for 3 hours and has only warmed up about one degree. It is very cold right now at 27 degrees so finally I kicked the thermometer up one degree since I realize it needs to be at least a 3 degree gain in order to make the coils kick in. Now the coils have kicked in and I can tell the air is much warmer. My question is at which time (besides 3 degrees hotter) should the coils kick in by themselves? Is there a certain temperature outside that the coils should kick in or how should this work? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by citydweller; 12-22-2008 at 09:08 PM.. Reason: add
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 05:55 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,331,286 times
Heat pumps are very effective down to about 32 degrees. Then the heat strips are needed to help out. When it gets closer to zero degrees, then it's all strips.
The auxilary heat setting (maybe a light comes on at the thermostat) is when the heat pump is working along with the heat strips.
When you go to Emergency heat, the outside unit will shut off, and it will only be using the heat strips.

Put a sweatshirt on - it will help.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:31 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,526,102 times
Our temps got down last night to about 22 degrees and I had the heat turned on 70 but all night it would only warm up to 68 in the house and it seemed like only the heat pump was working. The air coming out felt only moderately warm. I was in bed at the time but noticed it continuously ran like this. It would seem to me the strips and the heat pump should have been working together. Unfortunately the new digital thermostat I installed does not have an auxiliary light on it. I know the heat strips work bc when I push the thermometer up a few degree they kick in thus the air is very warm to even hot. I am in a new house but my last one I never had such issues and I also had a heat pump.

Last edited by citydweller; 12-23-2008 at 09:34 PM.. Reason: add comment

Old 12-24-2008, 08:08 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,704,701 times
Can you tell if your unit is going through the defrost cycles? I have noticed with mine when the unit gets done defrosting I can feel some really warm air come out temporarily. Another thing to check is the copper pipe that comes into the house from the outside unit. I found out that mine was not even insulated and I was losing plenty of heat off of it.

The only way I know to keep the unit from running all night is to turn it on the "emergency" mode when you go to bed. I occasionally have to do this when it gets really cold.

Old 12-24-2008, 10:59 AM

17,482 posts, read 66,188,590 times
This maybe a shot in the dark but- you said you installed a new t-stat, was it a t-stat specifically for a heatpump? I know for a fact that a t-stat for a regular force air system will not work properly w/ heatpump. Or maybe you got a wire crossed up.
In any case- the condensor unit shouldn't be running when you get to a temperture point that the backup heat comes on.

Old 12-24-2008, 12:54 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,331,286 times
Like the other person said, you may have the wrong thermostat.

In "auxilary mode" the outside unit WILL run along with the heat strips. In "emergency mode" the outside unit WILL NOT run, just the heat strips.

BY the way, putting the thermostat up higher does not make the air warmer, it only makes it run longer.

Couple other points to consider. First, it was very cold. If you house is drafty or not insulated well, you will have a lot of heat loss and the unit will keep running trying to get the temps up.
Second, you may be low on the refrigerant, and not getting the full heat pump effect and performance. But since it was 22, you were likely on auxilary mode anyway, because the outside unit would have a hard time producing enough heat.

In regular heat pump mode, the temperature coming out of the registers is only about 90 degrees. While this temp is plenty to warm a house up, it will feel cold to the touch because it is lower than your body temperature.

You may have a thermostat problem.
You may have a refrigerant charge problem.
You may have an insulation and draft problem.
Or it might just be too damn cold for a heat pump to warm up the house to your liking.

One last thing, with a heat pump, do not set the thermostat up and down during the day. It takes too long to bring the house temperature up with 90 degree heat. It is far better to just set the thermostat to the desired temp, and leave it alone.

Hope you get warm soon.

Old 12-24-2008, 01:13 PM

3,463 posts, read 7,313,982 times
If your heat pump, including its auxiliary heat strips, worked well during previous cold spells your new thermostat may be the problem.

Your old thermostat could have been set up for 3 stage heat, whereas your new thermostat isn't - meaning it is only a two stage thermostat. If your new thermostat is the wrong kind for your system the new thermostat might only have the capability of energizing one stage (or bank) of heat strips even though your system has two or more stages (or banks) of heat strips. Thus your second bank of strips aren't being used...when they are needed when the temperature drops below x.

Old 12-25-2008, 07:40 AM

5,642 posts, read 24,982,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citydweller View Post
The air coming out felt only moderately warm.
Body temp is 98.6 so moderatly warm may be well over 100. Many units are not designed to blow extremely hot air. I suggest you have the operation checked by an experienced tech before taking action. It may be operating normally for the conditions.

Old 12-26-2008, 03:19 PM

17,221 posts, read 57,161,817 times
Well, what do you want, warm feeling air coming out the vents, or maximum BTUs delivered to your house at minimum cost? If the latter, maybe the heat pump is doing it's thing just fine, as noted, it may be going through defrost cycles as well. There is nothing wrong, in itself, with the heat pump running continuously, just means the house is absorbing all the heat it can eke out given the cold outside temp.

Old 12-27-2008, 11:51 AM

51 posts, read 233,672 times
Quick question for you heat pump knowlegeable guys. Mine will ice up outside the coils in very cold (0 to 20 degrees ) weather. The wife is paranoid about this but its been doing it since new, for 15 years. The ice gets an inch or so thick. Yes, the emergency light will come on then. Is it something I should be concerned with?
Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House