Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 08:48 PM

7 posts, read 58,217 times

Advertisements

Hi, We just moved into a house this summer in the outskirts of raleigh, the agent sold us the house with this "great" gutter cover that supposedly keeps me off the ladder, well just in the past few months I have been on the roof twice cleaning out the leaves and primarily pine needles from the "never clogging gutter cover", the last time I just about learned how to fly, so I am seeking something that actually works... any suggestions?

Best
Johnny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 09:01 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,849,684 times
I inspect houses and rarely see any guards that work well. The only design I have seen that works perfectly (and also completely protects your fascia) is a design my father-in-law came up with. They are installed on commercial buildings and large apartment complexes...a bit cost prohibitive for a house.
They are essentially rectangular steel, one piece with no seperate gutter and guard placed on top, with slits cut in the top edge. If any tree debris gets stuck(rare due to the design) you just point the hose at them and it knocks it out.The steel encapsulates the fascia board as well. it is a very neat system!

Old 11-12-2008, 07:11 AM

892 posts, read 3,163,645 times
Gutter guards, HA! This house came with them. We had not heard of them previously. The other half was so excited that he would not need to buy a new ladder in order to climb the two story roof. We figured out the gutter guard racket the first fall here. They are since long gone and we are the proud owners of a 24 foot ladder.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:47 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,819,051 times
We had "Leaf-Guard" gutters on our old CT house. The gutter is manufactured with a cover and a lip that keeps leaves out. They worked really well but were pretty expensive to install. We were redoing the entire exterior of an older home (Siding, Windows, Gutters) so in the context of that job we could justify it. I don't think I'd change out all of the gutters on a new house, but if I were building from scratch I would definitely try to spec them.
I saw something at the Home Show at the Fairgrounds last year that looked like it could actually work. It's a foam insert that sits in the gutter channel-water passes thru it but debris can't get into the gutter because the foam is flush with the top edge of the gutters. I might try it on a portion of our gutters (the ones that are simply impossible for me to get to and even the gutter guy doesn't want to deal with-we have a walkout basement and the gutters along the rear roofline of the house are 3 stories up).

Old 11-12-2008, 09:34 AM

19 posts, read 55,757 times
Wow, my first post...

I did a somewhat extensive exterior remodel on our house just after moving in two years ago. No gutters were in place so I was starting from scratch. Lots of broad-leaf oak trees (red oaks, white oaks,) in our yard. I think pine needles and the smaller "pin oak" leaves wreak the most havoc on these systems so I'm at an advantage.

After looking at every available option, I decided to go with "Leaf Guard" and have been very happy. No problems last year or so far this year. I did like that they have a 50-year "if it clogs, we clean it out" transferable guarantee (provided they're in business). My only complaint is that the oak blooms catch on the outside front of the gutter. Still functions perfectly, just looks bad. A strong hose spray knocked mine off without the need for a ladder.

Whatever you decide on, be sure they spec the larger 3 x 4 downspouts. Certainly helps flush out anything that happens to find it's way in.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:41 AM

43,353 posts, read 77,229,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post
We had "Leaf-Guard" gutters on our old CT house. The gutter is manufactured with a cover and a lip that keeps leaves out. They worked really well but were pretty expensive to install. We were redoing the entire exterior of an older home (Siding, Windows, Gutters) so in the context of that job we could justify it. I don't think I'd change out all of the gutters on a new house, but if I were building from scratch I would definitely try to spec them.
I saw something at the Home Show at the Fairgrounds last year that looked like it could actually work. It's a foam insert that sits in the gutter channel-water passes thru it but debris can't get into the gutter because the foam is flush with the top edge of the gutters. I might try it on a portion of our gutters (the ones that are simply impossible for me to get to and even the gutter guy doesn't want to deal with-we have a walkout basement and the gutters along the rear roofline of the house are 3 stories up).
I like the foam inserts. We had them in for a few years, until we had gutters replaced.
The only issue I had was with areas where a roof valley dumped into the gutter. The foam would tend to fill with dirt from the valley, since the valley concentrated the flow into one spot. That spot did not function well, and clogged.
On a straight run, I thought the foam worked quite well.

Leaf-Guard works well, and I agree that the 3x4 downspouts are needed on almost ALL gutter systems. One wants to ensure that the installer also uses 3x4 fittings in the gutter to attach the downspouts. Smaller fittings void the usefulness of the larger downspouts.

Old 11-12-2008, 04:16 PM

Angry Leaf Filter really works?

I checked out the leaf filter system and it appears that the same one or a similar curved slotted gutter protection system is installed.. and it failed worse than freddy mac...(I live in a very wooded area)... I am looking for a system that is a bit more sealed and works... the warranty is good and all however I am looking for something that I would not have to use the warranty on, besides to me warranty is just like insurance; i like having it until i have to use it. and the sealed part is a bit important as I am looking to install a rain watering system next summer so i can combat Raleigh's water prices, so spending a few extra dollars is not so bad....

It seems that every gutter shield protection sort of business I call reminds me all to well of a used car sales man... if I don’t buy right there and then I miss out on a once in a life time offer bal bla bla... and every time I ask a question I get a response like it came from a politician, either switch the topic or ask another question. I may be going on a rant here but why is it so difficult cutting through the Bull, especially with something as simple as some half way descent covers for my gutters? Maybe it is just better to rip the things out and pay some kid in the neighborhood to clean my gutters and hope he does not fall.

Old 11-13-2008, 05:50 AM

578 posts, read 3,082,973 times
Also consider that for the price of the gutter systems you can simply pay someone to come clean your gutters 2-3 times per year. Costs me $50@ for each cleaning. That's probably a lifetime of gutter cleaning compared to the gutter guard cost.

Old 11-14-2008, 12:31 AM

Lightbulb Gutter Cleaning

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastric View Post
Also consider that for the price of the gutter systems you can simply pay someone to come clean your gutters 2-3 times per year. Costs me $50@ for each cleaning. That's probably a lifetime of gutter cleaning compared to the gutter guard cost.
Yes that is true, it might be cheaper however I have two BIG problems with that:

1. Finding someone to do it when it needs to be done and being home to watch, more times than not It is difficult finding help that dose not need help.

2. The biggest concern is liability, being on top of my roof presents a huge liability, if the person falls then ether; My homeowners insurance is going to drop me or jack up my rates so high that i would have to drop them or they would take legal action and I end up putting their grand kids through school. ... I am not just blowing smoke here, when we lived down south we had some Latinos work on our beach house replacing shingles and one of them fell and had a ambulance chasing attorney fighting my homeowners insurance lawyers, now the only way I got out of it without bankruptcy was the neighbor happened to see the mexicans drinking beer a few hours prior to the indecent. now taht saved my a##, I do not want a repeat the events in Florida, so this is why i am looking for gutter professionals with liability insurance to do it, trust me it is worth it, ten fold to avoid a very big hedache. besides in this economy I bet people are looking for opportunities to cash in on sleazy stuff like this! I would have to be an Idiot to take such a risk

Old 11-14-2008, 08:44 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,763,391 times
Thumbs up Leaf Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Leaf-Guard works well, and I agree that the 3x4 downspouts are needed on almost ALL gutter systems.
We put Leaf-Guard gutters on our last house in Portland and loved them. We had a couple of large douglas fir trees that dropped needles and the Leaf-Guard did the trick to keep them out. Leaf-Guard came with a transferable warranty, which we were able to transfer to the new owners. And it came with a guarantee regarding cleaning them out. Plus the people were soooo friendly.

However, they were mucho spendy. We had to replace the gutters and thought this was the house we would see our children off to college from. So we thougth it was a worth while investment. Fortunately, we were able to get the cost back when we sold the home. BUT here (Durham) I would not count on that. I would not put them on my house here.... I don't think I would recoup the cost, as I don't feel this is our last home.

But the poster who mentioned liablity regarding hiring someone to clean out gutters had a good point. Use someone who is bonded and insured.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House