Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2008, 11:11 AM

414 posts, read 1,862,466 times

Advertisements

I've been in my new construction townhome about six months and the stucco is cracking on the porch. Not little hairline cracks, but cracks large enough for moisture to get into. I called the warranty dept. for the builder and they came out to assess the damage. They told me stucco cracks were not covered in the warranty. Is that crazy? They went ahead and filled the cracks with caulk and then returned to touch up the paint. He said because it could lead to water damage, they had to repair it. Anyone else know where I can get a copy of what is covered in my warranty? I couldn't seem to find it while looking through all my documents from closing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 04:47 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,729,895 times
Default What exactly do you have.....

I would first determine exactly what they are calling stucco. Do you have the real stuff, which is basically a mortar cement mix over usually a metal lathe.

Or do you have some of this modern synthetic junk. The real stuff doesn't really crack if properly applied. The modern junk best of luck, lots of it is very problematic.

Forget warranty, if you got the junk stuff, in many cases, ripping it off or putting something that works over it is all that will work longer term.

Old 10-10-2008, 10:22 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,878,302 times
No warranty will cover something that might actually go bad..! Warranties sound great when the salesman tells you about them, but no so great after excrow closes and the problems begin. Most builders will find some excuse that it isn't their fault, and you have to fight them tooth and nail to get anything done.
Depending on the size of the cracks, I would be concerned about the cause. Is the house settling? did they do proper soil compaction during construction?
I'd be talking to the neighbors to see if any like problems are showing up.
It may just be minor cracking, but it may be something far worse. Stucco should not be cracking for a long time. what other corners did they cut, and what else did they do wrong..?
We purchased an expensive, supposed quality home and ended up in a 16 year court battle over "Defective Construction." After 16 years of living in limbo, we got a small settlerment and spent over $50 k making repairs.
Keep a close eye on things, get a structual engineer if neccessary, and don't let them stall you intill the warranty runs out.
It very well be nothing, but you have a big investment so educate yourself and don't let the builder push you around. Not trying to scare you, just make you aware that construction defects are a really big problem today...
Google "defective construction litigation" Be prepared for your builder's line of bull..!
Good luck....

Old 10-10-2008, 06:40 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,415,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
I would first determine exactly what they are calling stucco. Do you have the real stuff, which is basically a mortar cement mix over usually a metal lathe.

Or do you have some of this modern synthetic junk. The real stuff doesn't really crack if properly applied. The modern junk best of luck, lots of it is very problematic.

Forget warranty, if you got the junk stuff, in many cases, ripping it off or putting something that works over it is all that will work longer term.
Most jurisdictions in Colorado will not let you do the fake stuff anymore, way to many problems with it.

you know you have the fake stuff if you can press a finger into it lol.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:34 PM

2 posts, read 5,552 times
The only way that cracks are not covered in the contract is if the builder/homeowner/landlord signs an agreement for a release of liability. We have these signed on jobs that need to meet a specific deadline, like commercial jobs (Rite-Aid, Walgreens, Wal-Mart) because they have to meet an opening deadline most of the time. We go back later and repair what cracks have formed over about a year or two's time.

As for the negative views on synthetic stucco, I think people are misinformed on the type of system used as opposed to the material that is used on the "finish coat". Synthetic or acrylic stucco is a great product, have been using it for years! We use a three coat system however, meaning that the two base coats equate to about 3/4 to 7/8 of an inch in thickness, which would break anyone's hand if punched.

The system that is not so great (the one that is referenced here) is the EIFS System. It is basically styrafoam and a very thin finishing coat, that is why it punctures easily and has had many problems. Think of it as having a thin sheet of paper over your entire house that is keeping all of the water out!! Scary!!!

Anyways, hope this helps in the end.

Moderator cut: not allowed

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 10-14-2013 at 08:31 PM..

Old 10-14-2013, 07:56 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,291,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stucco Guy View Post
The only way that cracks are not covered in the contract is if the builder/homeowner/landlord signs an agreement for a release of liability. We have these signed on jobs that need to meet a specific deadline, like commercial jobs (Rite-Aid, Walgreens, Wal-Mart) because they have to meet an opening deadline most of the time. We go back later and repair what cracks have formed over about a year or two's time.

As for the negative views on synthetic stucco, I think people are misinformed on the type of system used as opposed to the material that is used on the "finish coat". Synthetic or acrylic stucco is a great product, have been using it for years! We use a three coat system however, meaning that the two base coats equate to about 3/4 to 7/8 of an inch in thickness, which would break anyone's hand if punched.

The system that is not so great (the one that is referenced here) is the EIFS System. It is basically styrafoam and a very thin finishing coat, that is why it punctures easily and has had many problems. Think of it as having a thin sheet of paper over your entire house that is keeping all of the water out!! Scary!!!

Anyways, hope this helps in the end.

Moderator cut: not allowed
This^^^

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 10-14-2013 at 08:31 PM..

Old 10-14-2013, 08:36 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,291,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Tell me that ^^^ isn't advertising!
And, since I can't report advertising the "correct" way- someone obviously thinks I monitor TOO WELL- I'll just do it for the whole world too see.

And both threads are oooooooooold!
I missed the fact that it is an old thread, however he is correct about making people sign off on rush jobs that are against what's spelled out in the spec's. There's a 7 day cure time between coats, so plaster is a 15 day process. The college graduates putting together the schedules don't understand this, and push plastering contractors into faster completion dates. He's saying he makes them sign off on improper curing times.

Honestly, I doubt he'll be picking up much work from the CD folk. My website is listed in my username, and I'd be blown away if I ever got a call from a CD member. Granted, he did dig up an old thread, but did provide positive input on the subject matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House