Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 01:17 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,254,763 times

Advertisements

Yeh yeh,,I know they all have blades...

But I wanted to get an old fashion manual because I love the way it looks and the sound it makes (barely any)

Any guidance on yard size? As in how much will be too much to do by hand...

I know its an opinion so if you can state your energy/fitness level too that would be nice.

I just thought it would be a nice workout and nice for the neighbors to NOT hear lawnmowers and smell stinky gasoline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 02:51 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,181,791 times
i used to use one....probably say 100ft x 200 ft area. They are better on certain grasses...gee I'd have to google it Good workout, self starting, just can't let the grass get too high and not a lot of twig debris.

oh here is a site= Guide to choosing and using a manual reel mower

Old 08-16-2008, 02:52 PM

22,327 posts, read 29,411,685 times
What about an electric mower??

Old 08-16-2008, 02:56 PM

822 posts, read 3,002,187 times
I use a push mower. I love it! I can cut my grass at any time of day or night without disturbing anyone - plus, they are great for your grass (some say the "best"). I am on a fifth of an acre. I get a tiny bit of workout from mowing the lawn, but nothing too exerting. If we are getting a lot of rain and the grass is quite long it is a bit more difficult to mow in one pass. I always look forward to mowing my lawn. I usually just do the front one day and the back another. I'm not a fanatic, but I enjoy it and have one of the best lawns on the block.

Old 08-16-2008, 03:40 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,229,188 times
Once I get moved I will be buying one. No more gas cans, zircs that need to be greased, and cranky carburetors for me!

Old 08-16-2008, 07:58 PM

822 posts, read 3,002,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyma View Post
i used to use one....probably say 100ft x 200 ft area. They are better on certain grasses...gee I'd have to google it Good workout, self starting, just can't let the grass get too high and not a lot of twig debris.

oh here is a site= Guide to choosing and using a manual reel mower
Mine is a Craftsman from Sears and I am happy with it. I just wish I had asked someone else to put it together (it's easy, I promise). I'm bad with directions.

Old 08-16-2008, 08:55 PM

733 posts, read 4,653,440 times
Oh lord. I pushed one of those d*** things around our yard and my grandmother's yard from the day I was "old enough" to mow until I went away to college. Since I was the last kid my folks THEN decided to buy a gas power mower! Give me the luxury of power, please! Quiet, though, I certainly prefer. So, consider an electric version.

Old 08-17-2008, 08:11 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,229,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windtimber View Post
Oh lord. I pushed one of those d*** things around our yard and my grandmother's yard from the day I was "old enough" to mow until I went away to college. Since I was the last kid my folks THEN decided to buy a gas power mower! Give me the luxury of power, please! Quiet, though, I certainly prefer. So, consider an electric version.
LOL! I remember my grandfather fighting with one of the old ones, but the new ones are aluminum and are not nearly has heavy.

Old 08-17-2008, 08:19 AM

Thanks for the link!

I saw a show awhile back that was highlighting electric ones.
But it comes down to the bottom line really with that one...$$$$$$$

And I just really love that clicky brushy noise the grass makes with the cutting.

Old 08-17-2008, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
LOL! I remember my grandfather fighting with one of the old ones, but the new ones are aluminum and are not nearly has heavy.
yeh I was just reading that in the link!

I remember the neighbor I had growing up..He had one. He was in "tennis shape" and pushed this thing around that I couldnt even move. Of course I was little....
But I doubt it would be much fun as an adult to have to grind away the grass with this beast of a lawnmower that weighs more than you do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House