Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 05:23 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,330,402 times

Advertisements

So I just read the other thread where the person is getting a foul odor from a seldom used bathroom. We are sort of having the same problem, but here is the deal...

Every night when my husband comes home from walking the dog he goes up to our master bath (which we use DAILY, several times a day) and washed his hands, takes his contacts out, etc. While I am in the family room I am rushed with the foul, rotten egg smell. This also happens when someone takes a shower. I have had two plumbers out (from different companies) and each time the odor didn't happen. It mostly happens at night...It's almost like it builds up all day and then bam-stink. (B/c we use it in the AM and in the PM and during the day it doesn't really get used) The plumbers have never done anything, they just try and smell and when they don't smell anything, they leave...

This smell is AWFUL. Gross. ANyone have any ideas? We went and bought a drain cleaner that the one plumber recommended, but that didn't help. They both said maybe the hot water heater was bad b/c that can produce that type of odor, but then they both said they doubt it as ours is fairly new. Do you think the stink pipe in the roof could be clogged? I am at my wits end!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 05:51 PM

2,222 posts, read 10,664,540 times
Maybe something here will be of help:

Rotten Egg Odor (http://www.uldrinkwell.com/drinkwell/rotten_egg_smell.html - broken link)

Shower Drain's Rotten-Egg Odor Is No Yolk - washingtonpost.com

Rotten Egg Smell Coming From Sink

Plumbing FAQ: Rotten Egg Smell | Plumbing Information by 1800AnyTyme

Old 08-10-2008, 06:12 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,419,450 times
Take the anode out of you hot water heater.

Old 08-11-2008, 12:11 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,534,366 times
Don't take the anode out it's sacrificial and unless you just like replacing water heaters it's there for your benefit.

You can cut the water off to the water heater and power and drain it outflushing it several times...I would go ahead and replace the anode if you haven't....every two years or so they should at least be checked and replaced as needed...I would just go ahead and replace it e very two years.

Old 08-11-2008, 02:54 AM

1,076 posts, read 3,557,555 times
You on a city sewer, methane coming into your system, try dumping about half gallon of bleach down drain, let it sit for hour or so then follow up with some boiling or hot as you can get water, cheap fix but the gas usually works it's way back eventually, check with the city and see when the last time they cleaned their lines.

Old 08-11-2008, 03:11 AM

188 posts, read 664,038 times
We just fixed this but we are on a well. We added a chlorine injection system for about $300 and no more smell. Bought it online and hooked it up ourselves. We're adding another filter to get most of the chlorine out (although you can't smell it AT all) and that will hopefully be the end of it. Not sure if the same applies to municipal water.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Don't take the anode out it's sacrificial and unless you just like replacing water heaters it's there for your benefit.

You can cut the water off to the water heater and power and drain it outflushing it several times...I would go ahead and replace the anode if you haven't....every two years or so they should at least be checked and replaced as needed...I would just go ahead and replace it e very two years.
Removal is what water heater dealers suggest. Most builders just remove them in my area. How does an anode protect you????

Old 08-11-2008, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by featherz View Post
We just fixed this but we are on a well. We added a chlorine injection system for about $300 and no more smell. Bought it online and hooked it up ourselves. We're adding another filter to get most of the chlorine out (although you can't smell it AT all) and that will hopefully be the end of it. Not sure if the same applies to municipal water.
I am glad it worked however, I try more conservative things first.

Make sure you have adequate water pressure from the wellhead.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:44 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,534,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Removal is what water heater dealers suggest. Most builders just remove them in my area. How does an anode protect you????
Water heater Anode Rods
http://www.allabouthome.com/tips/plu...Draining-53188

If I was a dealer I would be telling you to take them out also. It's kinda strange the water heaters I have go out that never have the anode rod changed....managed to make it about 5.5 to 6 years.....with a 5 year warranty that's not really all that good.

There is some more info in that post above.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
I know what it is for. If it makes the water unusable, what is the point?? My has bee out for 12 years, with no problems. Builders takes them out in our area before there is a problem. Really, these site sale anodes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House