Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 05:32 AM

1,032 posts, read 4,263,111 times

Advertisements

I saw this mop the other day at BJs and almost bought it, but decided to ask around first.

My first floor is all hardwood (Bruce, just installed last fall) and keeping it clena is a big job. This Shrak seems too good to be true - it says it's OK for wood, but I am not sure.

Anyone use this - or a similar steam mop - on hardwood with good results?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 05:44 AM

203 posts, read 927,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristyLiz View Post
I saw this mop the other day at BJs and almost bought it, but decided to ask around first.

My first floor is all hardwood (Bruce, just installed last fall) and keeping it clena is a big job. This Shrak seems too good to be true - it says it's OK for wood, but I am not sure.

Anyone use this - or a similar steam mop - on hardwood with good results?

Thanks!
I've bought two Shark products over the years(not the mop). And both times the items started out strong.........massive suctioning power........but quickly died! I have a short memory But Not that short!! Shark Never again!

Old 08-08-2008, 08:46 AM

369 posts, read 1,960,051 times
I like the idea of a steam mop too, and almost bought one at Target the other day. I have all hardwood floors and 3 dogs, so I would love something to help me keep it all clean. I will say that my previous experience with Shark irons is as the other poster mentioned...starts strong, but then dies quickly. I would avoid that brand for sure. Are their other steam mops that people use? I would love to know too!

Old 08-08-2008, 09:21 AM

5,893 posts, read 12,807,206 times
I bought one a while back after seeing the infomercial but haven't tried it yet. Am planning on trying it today on my ceramic tile before taking a chance on the hardwood floors. Will let you know what I think later.

Had a small Scunci steamer that died and now have a smaller Shark steam cleaner that's fairly new but still going strong. I love how quickly I can steam clean my bathroom countertops and sink area. It gives me a sense of power to blast crud away. LOL

Old 08-08-2008, 09:23 AM

1,921 posts, read 4,773,287 times
We use a steam mop, not sure if it's Shark or not. Seems to look nice after mopping, but it gets so dusty here that after a day it's already getting dirty looking. One advantage is that it dries up in seconds.

I usually also vacuum the area with my Dyson before mopping. You definitely want to get the bigger particles out that way.

Old 08-08-2008, 09:45 AM

180 posts, read 793,857 times
Default We love ours!

We have one and use it on our ceramic, laminate, and vinyl floors. Its done a great job getting stains out, does a great job cleaning, and I like how quickly it dries.

We use distilled water in it as recommended since we have such a hard water problem here, but my friend's housekeeper (who originally recommended the Shark) uses tap and says it's no problem.

It only came with 2 cleaning pads (my only complaint) but you can wash them easy enough. (And you'll be shocked how dirty that pad will look, even when you thought your floor wasn't so dirty... it was!) My friend's housekeeper buys microfiber cloths from Sams and just ties them on there. She said since she does so many floors she goes through a lot.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:34 AM

415 posts, read 1,680,997 times
I have one but have only used it on tile. I love it! I also vacuum first before using it. I shopped around first for price, but it seems everyone has the same price ~$70. I went to Bed, Bath, and Beyond and bought it there with a 20% off coupon.

I was also shocked at the pad afterwards...so dirty, but that is good!

Old 08-08-2008, 12:44 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,947,116 times
I would be skeptical to put steam(hot water) on a wood floor, I use the floor brush on my canister vacuum(straight suction, not the powerhead) and vacuum all the wood flooring, I dry swiffer to get anything missed, then use the Bruce Hardwood Cleaner and the Bruce mop/pad that came in the kit...been doing this now for over a year when I moved into my home, my floors always look great...I never put water on my wood floors, steam or not, I don't want to ruin the finish.

Old 08-08-2008, 03:43 PM

5,893 posts, read 12,807,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by did0c View Post
We have one and use it on our ceramic, laminate, and vinyl floors. Its done a great job getting stains out, does a great job cleaning, and I like how quickly it dries.

We use distilled water in it as recommended since we have such a hard water problem here, but my friend's housekeeper (who originally recommended the Shark) uses tap and says it's no problem.

It only came with 2 cleaning pads (my only complaint) but you can wash them easy enough. (And you'll be shocked how dirty that pad will look, even when you thought your floor wasn't so dirty... it was!) My friend's housekeeper buys microfiber cloths from Sams and just ties them on there. She said since she does so many floors she goes through a lot.
I can understand your friend buying microfiber clothes from Sam's and tying them on to the Shark mop. I was at Target last night and saw they had a box of 2 extra mopheads for the Shark you could buy. At about $20 for two little pads, there is no way!

Old 08-26-2008, 03:17 PM

2 posts, read 84,007 times
Default I am taking it back

I used it for the first time and it left my hardwood floors streaked. when the sun shines on them they look dirty and full of streaks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House