Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2022, 06:13 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,010,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Ah, assumptions. You know what they say about those!
Mr. Spicoli?
Attached Thumbnails
Furniture stores that sell hard/stiff furniture-b603aa09-802e-454a-bb93-99c72e8339be.jpeg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2022, 06:22 PM

4,197 posts, read 4,450,813 times
For mattresses check out the Original Mattress factory. After examining many other retail mattress offerings, I purchased a new one about 6-7 months ago and the shopping experience was great. Simple showroom, wide variety of firmness and have been very pleased with it.

As for other furniture, I checked out the most recent Ashley Furniture Outlet nearby and while I was not in market for anything, I did check out the cushion / comfort levels on various upholstered pieces and found ones very firm (which I like). They did tend to be leather and more expensive.

Old 07-19-2022, 08:11 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,381,212 times
Ikea. Futon.

Old 07-20-2022, 07:30 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,245,163 times
Look up This End Up furniture. I don’t think they have retail outlets. They called this style orange crate furniture. It’s not that attractive, but it is firm. And it will last forever, you’ll need to find someone to make new cushions eventually.

Had that sofa for years! The company actually went out of business. I couldn’t find anybody to make new cushions because the people that I had used before didn’t do it well.

So we went out and bought something else entirely and then several years later, I discovered that at some point somebody purchased the intellectual property, and re-opened This End Up.

https://thisendup.com/classic-sofa/

They also have a rather nice looking mission style called artisan I believe — it’s more expensive, but will last a lifetime…. One other thing about the classic sofa. It was short. As in when you sit on it and you lean your head back you will hit wall. And I have a short torso. But it had that kind of 1970s sort of look about it. My memory of 1970s sofas was they were all sort of low-slung like that.

The other thing is if you go to places and sit on sofas you will see that a lot of them are soft which is really awful. I totally agree with you. But you will discover some of them are very firm. And if you find a style that you like that isn’t very firm, see if they have a sleeper sofa — all the extra doodads in that make it really heavy yes, give people an extra place to sleep just in case, and make that sofa firm. It also drives up the price.

After my husband died I got to get rid of the faux sleep number bed which I was not happy with. Weirdly I could never get it firm enough alone. When they were two of us on the bed, the fact that he liked his side softer somehow made my side firmer. But after he died I actually popped the air bladder trying to get it where I wanted it to be.

In California I had this place called the national mattress discounter. They were selling new stock that was a couple of years old. From major manufacturers. It’s actually what Costco does. I walked in thinking I wanted a medium mattress. And the salesman convinced me to stop looking at the tags and just lay down. Because it was just like the three bears — everything was just wrong. So I listened to him, and walked out of there with an extra firm mattress. I did have to get a thicker mattress pad that has a little fluff to it. But I lay down on that bed and my body relaxes and I feel great the next morning.

Old 07-20-2022, 09:35 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,466,846 times
Hubby firmed up our couch cushions by placing a piece of plywood under the cushions. Helped a lot.

Memory Foam is terrible. Once you sink in, you can't get back out. Horrible stuff.

Old 07-20-2022, 11:21 AM

7,747 posts, read 3,778,838 times
Much of our furniture is custom made, so we specify all its details including what foam.

Old 07-20-2022, 11:51 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,929,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Mission style will be firmer.
For example: https://www.stickley.com/mission-collection/

Some Italian furniture designs.
For example: https://shop.molteni.it/collections/armchairs

Perhaps https://www.roomandboard.com/catalog...-and-loveseats
What stores carry those brands?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Ikea. Futon.
I hope the Ikea furniture is more durable than their cabinetry.

Old 07-20-2022, 02:22 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,245,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
What stores carry those brands?

I hope the Ikea furniture is more durable than their cabinetry.
If you Google Stickley furniture, they will have a store locator. They are carried at various stores depending on where you are. Can’t help you on the Italian furniture, and room and board is its own store. Google them and find their store locator.

I bought an IKEA Karlstadt loveseat about 18 years ago. It had a 10 year warranty, and my cats destroyed the arms. Those cats died recently, and I made the decision to not take it cross country because it was 18 years old. And too small for the space that I now had. But honestly, it was still in pretty good shape.

I’m not crazy about IKEA‘s designs call but I cannot fault the quality.

Old 07-20-2022, 05:29 PM

17,706 posts, read 29,800,391 times
Default Rif

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
What stores carry those brand?.
Did you peruse their websites?

Old 07-20-2022, 09:26 PM

3,067 posts, read 2,394,719 times
At home, I sit in a wooden school chair I bought at Goodwill for $5. I also have a gently used 1940s couch that's still firm.

I don't like soft, fluffy furniture, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House