Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2022, 04:12 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times

Advertisements

My front porch, steps, back deck and steps, etc. are wood and get like an ice slick if wet and below freezing. I already broke my foot last winter trying to get down the steps to get my newspaper from the driveway. Does it help to put down ice melt if there is moisture? It's supposed to drop pretty low tonight, should I sprinkle it out now? (It is maybe 1 degree above freezing) - thanks for any advice.

I already spend quite a lot of time breaking up the "concrete-like" block of the ice melt left from last year so not sure how far it will go. (I use DuckDuckGo and you can't always find as much info. but I do not like Google - TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2022, 04:24 PM

14,473 posts, read 12,101,318 times
If they're slick, sounds like it can't hurt. If you get too much rain, it might wash away and you will need more.

For the future, putting down something more permanent on the steps....either a paint-on non skid, or something like roofing shingles you can nail on, would be a good idea for icy situations.

Old 02-13-2022, 04:46 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,569,264 times
What about sprinkling kitty litter or sand on the deck and steps? Seems like it would give you some grip but also not be bad for the grass/plants.

Old 02-13-2022, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
If they're slick, sounds like it can't hurt. If you get too much rain, it might wash away and you will need more.

For the future, putting down something more permanent on the steps....either a paint-on non skid, or something like roofing shingles you can nail on, would be a good idea for icy situations.
Does that paint on stuff w/the sand (or whatever) work?

Old 02-13-2022, 05:31 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,566,640 times
Get a bucket of sand and sprinkle some on the ice whenever you need. A lot of towns give it away for free. Non-skid treads won't help if they're covered by a layer of ice.

Old 02-13-2022, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
What about sprinkling kitty litter or sand on the deck and steps? Seems like it would give you some grip but also not be bad for the grass/plants.
I have kitty litter - makes quote a mess.

Old 02-13-2022, 06:38 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,342,412 times
Kitty litter won't be as much of a mess as a broken bone. I wouldn't put ice melt on wood.

The little porch and step off of our mudroom is used daily instead of the front door. It's wood. It gets slicker than concrete. It doesn't help that it faces north. I wear boots going in and out if it's frosty outside. They provide just enough extra traction, but I exercise care. If I feel like it's too slick I go through the garage.

Old 02-13-2022, 06:41 PM

14,473 posts, read 12,101,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Does that paint on stuff w/the sand (or whatever) work?
Yes - it does! We've used it on docks and deck surfaces. It think it's walnut shells... anything to make it rough.

If you want to sprinkle something.... then sand would be best. You can even sprinkle sand after it's icy or snowy.

Not kitty litter. Too much odd ingredients now in kitty litter.... some of it gets wet and clumps, some gets wet and turns to slime. Hard to clean up and you don't want to track it in.

Old 02-13-2022, 07:02 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
Here’s a thread that covered this-

https://www.city-data.com/forum/hous...eps-decks.html

Old 02-13-2022, 07:03 PM

23,595 posts, read 70,391,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
My front porch, steps, back deck and steps, etc. are wood and get like an ice slick if wet and below freezing. I already broke my foot last winter trying to get down the steps to get my newspaper from the driveway. Does it help to put down ice melt if there is moisture? It's supposed to drop pretty low tonight, should I sprinkle it out now? (It is maybe 1 degree above freezing) - thanks for any advice.

I already spend quite a lot of time breaking up the "concrete-like" block of the ice melt left from last year so not sure how far it will go. (I use DuckDuckGo and you can't always find as much info. but I do not like Google - TIA
https://www.city-data.com/forum/hous...eps-decks.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House