Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2022, 07:58 PM

23,615 posts, read 70,539,170 times

Advertisements

There was the potential for an ice storm here this past week, and getting ice off my front deck is a time consuming PITA job. I looked on youtube and saw the homemade de-icer videos, the guy using a garden rake instead of an ice chipper to remove ice (actually pretty smart), and the various sand salt and ashes proponents. All well and good for places where snow is constant and with little chance of it or ice melting over days, but I am purposely lazy and hate to deal with ice.

I thought it over for a while, considered the thermal energy needed to melt ice and/or break it away from the surface it clings to, and then figured out that there was an easier way to deal with an ice storm that will cover a small deck or steps with a dangerous layer of ice.

Spoiler
I went down to the big box store paint department and purchased a 12' x 25' roll of 3 mil black plastic sheeting for a cost of about $12. I cut a nice strip that extended from my front door to the end of the deck, made sure the deck was reasonably dry, laid the plastic out and anchored it with planters and sandbags. The following morning, I walked out (carefully), noted the ice on the plastic, removed the anchoring items and lifted one side of the plastic sheet, breaking the ice into pieces that then slid off to the side of the area I had wanted to keep clear. Five minutes prep, five minutes finish, and done. No de-icer needed, no salts needed, no chipping needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2022, 04:10 AM

34,122 posts, read 83,106,864 times
I've found that the propane torch I bought for weeds does a GREAT job on ice. Snow still calls for a shovel
Waiting two days for the sun to warm things up might just work even better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsLrGSkjmsk

Old 01-08-2022, 06:33 AM

24,678 posts, read 11,011,123 times
Consider where the salt will end up in the long run. Do you actually use the front porch especially during bad weather?

Old 01-08-2022, 06:35 AM

7,252 posts, read 7,099,345 times
And I wonder what amount you would be sued for by the delivery man who steps on that slippery death trap delivering a package to your door?

Old 01-08-2022, 08:25 AM

17,482 posts, read 66,180,698 times
Even easier…

Live south of the 25 parallel, and north of the equator, in the Western Hemisphere! Oh; and you might need a boat!!!

Old 01-08-2022, 08:46 AM

8,431 posts, read 7,442,900 times
Even more easier...

Yaktrax.

Old 01-08-2022, 09:20 AM

OK, apparently zombies have taken over the accounts of many CD posters... either that or there has been a run on gummies and alcohol.

Mr. Rational wants to wait two days to leave the house. Why not just skip the propane dragon (I have one too, and it'll empty a tank of propane melting a small patch of ice.) and wait for spring???

Threestep wonders where all the salt will end up and thinks I have an unused porch and not an (exposed) deck. There was NO mention of my using ANY salt! WHAT did you read? And yes, I like to use my front door, it leads out of the house and to the larger world.

Kab0906 apparently thinks I get deliveries in the middle of the night in a frikkin ice storm and should be worried about lawsuits from drug dealers slipping on icy plastic at 4 AM. DUDE??? The whole idea is to wait until the ice storm ends and REMOVE the plastic, exposing a dry ice-free path!

KB suggests moving south. Uhhh... tried that. Moved to south Florida. Survived multiple hurricanes, decided against living through more of them. Visited Puerto Rico and Mexico. No thanks.

I have to wonder ... zombies? drugs? I can't imagine posting a tip on how to tie shoelaces together more easily. Some would put the shoes on upside down, some trip over the result of their efforts to follow the instructions, and some suggest the use of flippers rather than shoes.

Old 01-08-2022, 09:29 AM

6,382 posts, read 4,224,303 times
This will not prevent ice or snow from accumulating on your stairs or porch but should allow safe walking over a slippery area!

Last edited by Rickcin; 06-24-2022 at 07:30 AM..

Old 01-08-2022, 09:45 AM

15,154 posts, read 27,842,757 times
I have to wonder how you get it to stay against the risers (I think that's what they are called between the steps) - I have a wood front porch made w/deck wood - 7 or 8 steps - leading to the concrete walkway leading to the driveway... I'd need at least a 1/2 dozen of these, LOL

Old 01-08-2022, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
This will not prevent ice or snow from accumulating on your stairs or porch but should allow safe walking over a slippery area!
I tried that once. It works all fine until there is any moisture. At that point it gets glued to the surface and impossible to remove. The ice then builds up on top of it and is even more difficult to remove.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House