Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2021, 06:12 PM

1,680 posts, read 2,566,905 times

Advertisements

I am in the process of replacing a 22 yr old acrylic single bowl 22 x 33 inch sink with the same size sink in stainless steel.

The old sink has the drain centered left to right and front to back dead center. The new sink I ordered the drain is dead center left to right, but, off center back to front. Measuring from inside the sink basin back to front the center of the drain measures 5 1/2 inches for the new sink, where the old sink measures 8" to the center of the drain.

I know the plumbing under the sink will need to be redone - that is not the problem. I am thinking this off center drain has become popular with the new high arc kitchen faucets with spouts that do not reach as far into the sink.

My old faucet has a 9" reach and the water hits the old basin just behind the back of the drain. The new faucet I am considering has an 8" reach and the water would hit just inside the front of the drain.

Not sure where the water is supposed to hit the basin - behind the drain? Directly into the drain? Just want to be sure the new faucet I order will work with the new sink.

Last edited by Mary2014; 03-14-2021 at 07:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2021, 08:27 PM

6,383 posts, read 4,229,182 times
The standard has always been for the faucet to directly align with the drain which is the ideal location to minimize any splashing or water accumulation in the sink.

That said, it does not always have to be that way or necessarily create a problem, however it is preferred to have them aligned.

Old 03-15-2021, 06:11 AM

9,908 posts, read 7,254,794 times
Drains have been moving from the center of the sink to the rear or corners for a simple reason - when washing large items sitting in the sink, you aren't covering the drain preventing water from draining.

There isn't a proper place for the water to hit the sink since kitchens faucets usually swivel and won't always line up with the drain.

Old 03-15-2021, 06:21 AM

1,680 posts, read 2,566,905 times
Thanks, It sounds like an 8" reach should work just fine with the new sink.

Old 03-15-2021, 06:23 AM

17,482 posts, read 66,195,776 times
If the sink drains and the faucet supplies water, they work together.

The real question is, can YOU work with a sink and faucet that work together well?

Old 03-15-2021, 06:40 AM

Also, sink depth matters and a deeper sink will minimize and control splashing when the faucet and drain are not in direct alignment.

Old 03-15-2021, 06:43 AM

17,482 posts, read 66,195,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
Also, sink depth matters and a deeper sink will minimize and control splashing when the faucet and drain are not in direct alignment.
No, that’s what an aerator is for.

Old 03-15-2021, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
No, that’s what an aerator is for.
Obviously, that as well!

Old 03-15-2021, 08:09 AM

37,682 posts, read 46,121,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post
I am in the process of replacing a 22 yr old acrylic single bowl 22 x 33 inch sink with the same size sink in stainless steel.

The old sink has the drain centered left to right and front to back dead center. The new sink I ordered the drain is dead center left to right, but, off center back to front. Measuring from inside the sink basin back to front the center of the drain measures 5 1/2 inches for the new sink, where the old sink measures 8" to the center of the drain.

I know the plumbing under the sink will need to be redone - that is not the problem. I am thinking this off center drain has become popular with the new high arc kitchen faucets with spouts that do not reach as far into the sink.

My old faucet has a 9" reach and the water hits the old basin just behind the back of the drain. The new faucet I am considering has an 8" reach and the water would hit just inside the front of the drain.

Not sure where the water is supposed to hit the basin - behind the drain? Directly into the drain? Just want to be sure the new faucet I order will work with the new sink.
I got a new sink and faucet three years ago. Both are Kohler. Drains are toward the rear, not directly center. Sink is a large double offset; the faucet is mounted off center and only hits the drain on the left side. It’s a pull-down faucet with a sweep spray and it’s awesome. Honestly I could not have told you where the water hit until I went It looked just now. It makes absolutely no difference to me LOL. I can’t imagine why it would matter.

Old 03-15-2021, 02:46 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,612,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post

I've read, and my preference is, for the faucet water to hit directly in the middle of the drain or as close as possible to that. That way you get the best pressure from the faucet water. If it were me, I'd choose a sink and faucet where that distance measurement matched. That's what I did years ago. I got an enameled covered iron Kohler double sink, and looked at the measurements of a lot of faucets that would hit the middle of the drains. Faucets come w/that measurement listed, but I forget what it's called (reach?)/

Next best is if you have a sprayer that has good pressure, you can use that when you need direct water in the drain.

My faucets & drains in both bathrooms have matching distance measurements. The kitchen's faucet water hits the drain just barely on the inside that is closer to the user. In other words, the faucet has a slightly longer reach than the sink drain. I inherited it, so won't change it, since I'm hoping to move. If I stayed, I'd probably replace the faucet to have the correct reach, and add a side sprayer. The sprayer on my current faucet is built in, and I enable it by pushing a button. The spray shoots out more, having a longer reach, so it doesn't hit directly inside the drain at all. Poor planning on whoever chose that faucet.

Last edited by bpollen; 03-15-2021 at 02:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House