Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2008, 01:28 AM

61 posts, read 582,586 times

Advertisements

I'll be moving into my new retirement home this summer...then leaving it for 8 months while I work out my contract at my overseas job. The home is located in a rural area, with no immediate neighbors. There are homes within view - but a fair distance away. Buying a home under these circumstances may not have been the wisest decision, but it's a done-deal. It's exactly what I wanted and I couldn't pass it up. My intention is to move in my furniture, W/D, and all the bits and pieces needed to make it livable over the summer. (These are currently in a storage unit.) Televisions, stereos, and computer will be left with friends before I go back to work. I have someone who will take care of the yard-work and check things out for me periodically, but he doesn't live in the immediate area.

Can I get recommendations for security devices / measures that might be at least somewhat of a deterent against vandals, or against a crew with a moving van cleaning me out in the dark of night?

I should mention that it's a modest little place; not a home that anyone would likely consider to hold a treasure-trove of loot...which, of course, it doesn't. But what I do have, is important to me.

Thanks.
Frank
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 06:42 AM

203 posts, read 927,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frbenson View Post
I'll be moving into my new retirement home this summer...then leaving it for 8 months while I work out my contract at my overseas job. The home is located in a rural area, with no immediate neighbors. There are homes within view - but a fair distance away. Buying a home under these circumstances may not have been the wisest decision, but it's a done-deal. It's exactly what I wanted and I couldn't pass it up. My intention is to move in my furniture, W/D, and all the bits and pieces needed to make it livable over the summer. (These are currently in a storage unit.) Televisions, stereos, and computer will be left with friends before I go back to work. I have someone who will take care of the yard-work and check things out for me periodically, but he doesn't live in the immediate area.

Can I get recommendations for security devices / measures that might be at least somewhat of a deterent against vandals, or against a crew with a moving van cleaning me out in the dark of night?

I should mention that it's a modest little place; not a home that anyone would likely consider to hold a treasure-trove of loot...which, of course, it doesn't. But what I do have, is important to me.

Thanks.
Frank
I got one of em "modest little places" and it didnt stop the yahoos from rippin me off............then again I'm dead center in a large metropolis. To be safe, anything you value...........put in storage!...........also you might want to invest in some solar lights, make friends with the closest neighbours. Better yet, temporarily rent it out so someones always there?!

Old 04-29-2008, 06:56 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,982,275 times
Eight months is a long time to be away and to rely on something technological to keep it safe. I agree with overtaxedunderpaided to think about a housesitter. A long-term empty house can be (but not aways) a magnet for bored teens to professional thieves.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:09 AM

173 posts, read 591,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frbenson View Post

Thanks.
Frank
Since you do have someone coming to check on everything once in awhile, I'd suggest going to either Bed Bath & Beyond or Target; they have security alarms that you attach to your windows & doors.They're extremely loud, small, not seen from outside & you set 'em before you leave. They're also easy to switch off, but an intruder wouldn't know that.There also really inexpensive (a pack of 4 alarms is $10). Also set your lights-inside & out, on a timer, so it looks as if someone's home.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:48 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,369,923 times
Use timers for lights, even radios and TVs. Make it sound like someone is home.

And use several timers on different schedules, so different lights are coming on and off.

Meet your neighbors, too. Let them know that you'll be away for a bit and ask them to keep an eye on the place. Tell them that you have a friend coming to check mail and such, though, so they don't get suspicious of him. Folks in rural areas are pretty good at keeping an eye out.

Old 04-29-2008, 11:46 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,765,227 times
You could try a substantial contribution to the local policeman's ball fund and suggest you would appreciate a couple of drive bys.

Old 05-02-2008, 06:49 AM

231 posts, read 495,087 times
Sign in yard: Beware of Dog! include largest dog bowl with water you can find beside the sign. Also a mans shoe (size 14 or larger) on porch.

Old 05-02-2008, 01:57 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,334,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
Use timers for lights, even radios and TVs. Make it sound like someone is home.

And use several timers on different schedules, so different lights are coming on and off.

Meet your neighbors, too. Let them know that you'll be away for a bit and ask them to keep an eye on the place. Tell them that you have a friend coming to check mail and such, though, so they don't get suspicious of him. Folks in rural areas are pretty good at keeping an eye out.
Yep, your neighbors are your new best friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House