Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 08:23 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,267,874 times

Advertisements

1872 house that is being scraped within an inch of it's life...and I've read all the Consumer Reports stuff, but several paints aren't listed, the jury is still out.

This obviously is an all frame home. We wanted to use a satin for clean up - we're in the south, where pollen and dust and mud are always a problem. California is rated #1 and we have no access to that - small town.

Pratt and Lambert is second - and 85 miles away. If we run out, we're in trouble. Three colors going on, so we can't really make a mistake...gotta get it right the first time!

Glidden was next, which is an option...and for the price difference between that and Sherwin Williams, it looks like Glidden could take the lead.

All we have here is Lowe's and SW and Wal Mart, and an independent who is pushing Coronado, which we'd never even heard of. Everything after that fell so low in the ratings as to make us question if we would be seeing the painter again in 3 years, which I don't want to do. Nice guy, but my checkbook says no.

So...help. Apparently a lot of the paint companies are reformulating, which is causing the lag time in CR ratings. Any help from anyone recently painting would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2008, 08:39 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,115,902 times
I won't make a recommendation but would discourage the use of Glidden--I had some bad experiences with it this year--not as much coverage and drives the cost and especially manpower up.

In former years I probably have used all the paints and it comes down to the high-enders are better for the money in the long run--but make sure you do some careful measurements, and then add about a 1/4 gallon for messing it up and extra coverage.

If you have good measurements, you'll only have to go to the store 85m away once.

Old 04-19-2008, 09:04 AM

2,197 posts, read 7,391,808 times
I'm having my exterior trim painted this month, and the painter recommended Duron Weathershield. I believe it's made by SW. It's a little pricey, but it's supposed to last longer. My neighbor's white trim still looks fresh after eight years.

The reviews were excellent, unless someone has any experience to the contrary?

Old 04-19-2008, 09:46 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,949,730 times
Painters here say SW Duration is the best they have used. I had seven estimates on my home and six made the same comment. It looks great on my home but of course we won't know about durability for years.

Old 04-19-2008, 01:01 PM

733 posts, read 4,653,620 times
If you have a Sherwin Williams store in town, go there. Period. They sell paint and related products and not everything else under the sun. If their customers aren't satisfied with their paint, they're not going to stay in business. I've used SW for years. Once in a while something goes awry but by and large it's been an excellent product. And if something does go wrong, the guys at the store are always ready to take care of it.

Old 04-19-2008, 01:51 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,007,051 times
Just a little tip -- the Weatherbeater and Martha Stewart paints that Sears and Kmart stores carry IS Sherwin Williams paint. But it costs more when you buy it at a Sherwin Williams store usually, as opposed to buying it at Sears or Kmart.

I've had great results with Weatherbeater exterior and the Kmart Martha Stewart indoor paint.

Old 04-19-2008, 07:57 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,949,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Just a little tip -- the Weatherbeater and Martha Stewart paints that Sears and Kmart stores carry IS Sherwin Williams paint. But it costs more when you buy it at a Sherwin Williams store usually, as opposed to buying it at Sears or Kmart.

I've had great results with Weatherbeater exterior and the Kmart Martha Stewart indoor paint.
Yes, it may be made by SW but you don't know to what specification. Sears/Kmart ask for bids on various house brands when contracting for product and we don't know the price/performance requirements.

Not saying it is better or worse but just because it comes out of a SW factory does not make it the same as a SW product.

Old 04-19-2008, 08:00 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,647,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyehollywood View Post
I'm having my exterior trim painted this month, and the painter recommended Duron Weathershield. I believe it's made by SW. It's a little pricey, but it's supposed to last longer. My neighbor's white trim still looks fresh after eight years.

The reviews were excellent, unless someone has any experience to the contrary?
Duron and Glidden are made by ICI Paints.

Old 04-20-2008, 06:33 AM

2,197 posts, read 7,391,808 times
Oops, I'd better check with my painter. He recommended SW, then mentioned the durability of the Weathershield, so I'd better see what I'm getting. Thanks for the heads up!

Old 04-20-2008, 02:46 PM

113 posts, read 654,458 times
Sometimes you can save some money by buying mismatched paint also known as oops paint. First, determine your needs, then learn how to paint. I had a lot of practice in the Navy because they never stop painting.

Select a quality paint, many to choose from. And, go from there. Often, saving around 75% off the suggested retail price just because the tint in the paint is not what the original purchaser wanted. Always get the store to shake the paint for you before you buy it.

I would suggest not to use too old of a paint either. I hate old paint! I'd rather just go buy some new rather than to use it if it is too old or has been improperly stored.

Thanks for the tip teatime. Do you have a building supply house called "Extras"? Extras is a discount building supply house that carries building supplies that were sent out to a construction site and were left over after the project was completed. Often, they carry $30 a gallon paint for $8 a gallon.., and its not a mismatched paint either. They carry lumber, plumbing supplies, insulation, fancy and basic doors, as well as a lot of odds and ends. They may seem to be a bit junky, but; its worth the clutter to save the bucks. A lot of, but not all of their paint is by Glidden. Their inventory changes almost weekly.

Last edited by in_the_gloaming; 04-20-2008 at 02:59 PM.. Reason: adtl info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House