Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2008, 08:15 PM

3 posts, read 10,813 times

Advertisements

I don't have a gutter system in my house, not many houses in my neighborhood to but I wanted to know what I can do to stop the front part of my house from flooding like rocks maybe which I see a lot of my neighbors have, or could I do like the combination of red rocks and red mulch. As you can see I'm confused so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 08:03 AM

184 posts, read 1,545,014 times
Do you mean that the runoff from your roof every time it rains, washes away the dirt from around your house foundation? Or just sits there in puddles around your house? Either way is bad news for your foundation.

If you don't want to install gutters, you could have French drains put along the base of your house, but honestly that will probably cost as much or more as having gutters put up.

You could minimize the splashup of dirt from the runoff by first clearing out the area, then regrading it so that the surface slopes downward, away from the house instead of being flat; then cover the whole area with a weed barrier fabric, and then on top of that put a few inches of bluestone, gravel, or something like Timberlite. Be aware that "red" bluestones have been dyed and with constant exposure to water the surface dye will wash off. So if it goes with your house color you're better off with natural bluestone chips. If you need something brown or reddish, Timberlite is a natural volcanic rock in a mix of cream, red, brown and black. Do not bother using wood mulch because it will just break down into mush and/or wash away. Something larger and heavy enough to stay put is your best bet.

A rain barrel would need to have a downspout leading into it, which would need a gutter.... IMO gutters are the most practical solution to the problem.

Old 04-16-2008, 10:07 AM

3,020 posts, read 25,736,130 times
Default Yeah, can't have it all different ways.......

If you don't have gutter systems and are getting flooding, then as mentioned got to have a drain system installed to collect the water once it gets to the ground.

Complicated subject but basically it is pref drain pipe laid in usually a gravel bed with a barrier under it. You have to get the water away from the house a decent distance and not allow it to soak into the ground. The first requirement if you are having any type of flooding problems.

They do make an edging type system that takes rain off the roof and changes its characteristics so it comes down more like a spray but if it soaks in, probably same problem.

If you want to collect rain water as in a rain barrel then the best way is via a gutter system. Say to water plants or use as a water source.

If you want the house to look good, as with mulch, gravel cover that is a separate subject.

Figure out what the real problem is and then start there.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:08 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
Either collect the water with a gutter system or direct it away from the house with a combination of surface and/or undergroung drains. In any case stop the ponding/flooding that is already happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House