Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 10:22 AM

2,528 posts, read 2,780,627 times

Advertisements

I'd stay with the tan and accessorize as others have suggested. I think you're asking for trouble to try to do an after-market dye job on what is presumably vat-dyed and sealed leather.

I've dyed a saddle once. It was a medium tan like you're describing and there was a fad for dark brown leather (I competed so had to keep up with the fads). I did everything properly insofar as I was able, including a finisher. All was well until I rode in it on a hot day. My pants and chaps which were light colored were ruined as heat and moisture from my sweating body overrode the capabilities of the finisher and the dye rubbed off. I have visions of you and yours sitting on your dyed couch and standing up with a black backside and legs. Not a good look!

I'd also be concerned about the dye job looking blotchy. Who knows how thoroughly the leather was dyed and sealed, and possibly cleaned, in its former life. I think tan would be much better than splotchy black/charcoal.

If you're still determined, here's a link to Fiebing's whose products I used. It's been a long time since I did that dye project and the technology may have improved. If I were contemplating doing this project, I think I'd give them a call and have a chat.

https://www.fiebing.com/contact-us/about-us/

Good luck with whatever way you go. If you do dye it, I'd love to see the results.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2019, 10:31 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,764,629 times
I wouldn't use anything but Fiebing's pro line of goods. I think a lot of the unhappy results are from using what Tandy/Michael's etc. have on the shelf for craft work. But even a pro treatment might not work well on finished, vat-dyed leather, so all warnings noted.

I can probably live with it as-is, maybe with the right blanket tucked in around the big deep attached cushions to tie it to the room.

Old 07-08-2019, 02:08 PM

I think learning to live with it is the best plan. Maybe you can find cushions or a throw that has touches of the tan along with the black to pull it together.

I got to thinking further . . . if someone in its previous life had used a cleaner/conditioner like Murphy's Oil Soap, or glycerine saddle soap, Lexol, or even worse, neat's foot oil, you'd have a real problem trying to get anything else to "take" over that. I think you'd be able to smell any of those products, though, as they're pretty distinctive and it sounds as though you've been around enough leather to know.

Old 07-08-2019, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
I think learning to live with it is the best plan. Maybe you can find cushions or a throw that has touches of the tan along with the black to pull it together.

I got to thinking further . . . if someone in its previous life had used a cleaner/conditioner like Murphy's Oil Soap, or glycerine saddle soap, Lexol, or even worse, neat's foot oil, you'd have a real problem trying to get anything else to "take" over that. I think you'd be able to smell any of those products, though, as they're pretty distinctive and it sounds as though you've been around enough leather to know.
All of the above. I don't think this couch has been treated with anything more than maybe some spray leather cleaner, but it's a 'nice mid-grade designer line piece' - not truly cheap-ass bonded leather or anything, but not like the Nicoletti I had for two decades, either. There's no way to judge the dye process, treatment or further conditioning, so the longer I thought about it, with all above input, the more the needle moved to "nahhhh."

The leather is dry enough that I'm going to have to up my game to some good leather balm, but that should remove most of the scuffs, blend out the few stains and put it in shape for the three of us to enjoy for a couple of years, at least. (Me + two Great Danes.) A tucked-in throw that binds the look to the room colors and a small, soft leather pillow in matching tan and black... done.

Old 07-08-2019, 03:12 PM

2,176 posts, read 1,325,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
So I found a very nice slightly vintage couch that is 90% of what I was looking for and about 125% a great find at the price. Cowboy/western style, soft but not deep-squishy, scuffed and a few stains but otherwise in excellent condition. Some of the leather across the broad tops of the back cushions feels a tad dry.

It is, however, a medium tan, and my living room is black. So I am going to recondition and dye the leather, probably to a deep charcoal rather than a jet black, with a satin/nongloss finish.

I know the basics - have worked with leather, done dyeing, reconditioned and repaired, all that, and plan to -
  • Wash the couch with a light soap solution.
  • Clean it with acetone.
  • Spritz working areas with water, damp not wet.
  • Use cotton pads and an alcohol-based dye, small blended areas.
  • Dry, buff out, repeat at least one coat.
  • Finish with a satin/nongloss finisher.
Any tips, warnings, tricks etc. appreciated.
Maybe instead- decorate with black throws, black leather pillows, etc- not everything has to be “ matchy”.
It gives a more lived in look vs furniture store look.
Put something tan on your black furniture- I think it is more interesting look altogether

I would live with the sofa tge way it is for a year- then decide: you may get more headaches with uneven dyes, bleeding and damage to your clothing, chemical vapors, etc.
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....yL._SX425_.jpg
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/ae/0d...584012488c.jpg

Old 07-08-2019, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
Maybe instead- decorate with black throws, pillows, etc- not everything has to be “ matchy”.
It gives a more lived in look vs furniture store look.
There's a wide gradient between "being all matchy" and "looking like your typical grad student apartment." Having been handed an unlimited license to decorate this domicile to my exact tastes, after far too many years and eras of either inertia, financial limits or a partner with different ideas, I have planned pretty extensively and hold out for the right piece over the convenient or even needed one.

But this compromise worked out - for the interim.

Old 07-08-2019, 04:16 PM

Now that you mention dogs, that adds a whole new element to the situation! I almost asked you if you had them because you know what their nails can do. You're going to want a throw or other cover for them anyway, so there you go. When I needed something to protect my sofa and love seat from dog nails, I got the quilted covers and tucked them in. They've worked really well and seem to be tough. I got mine at Big Lots and they're a tan rather than the chocolate brown.

Here's a link:

https://www.chewy.com/elegant-comfor...iture%20Covers

Happy shopping!

Old 07-08-2019, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
Now that you mention dogs, that adds a whole new element to the situation! I almost asked you if you had them because you know what their nails can do. You're going to want a throw or other cover for them anyway, so there you go.
Thanks for the input. I've had big dogs for a long time. That's why I prefer leather furniture, as do all the breeders I know. Nothing but leather can stand up to a dog year after year, resist damage, wipe down and vacuum off easily, etc. Small dogs with sharp nails, and god knows cats can turn a couch to suede, but big dogs with blunt nails are surprisingly easy on good leather.

My big dumb boy, in fact, is making conditioning the couch a PITA. First, he's rediscovered the Joy of Couching after two years. Second, the conditioner I use apparently smells like pork chop gravy and I cannot get him to stop licking it... have to lock him out til it's dry.

Function of couch - which is more a big love seat in size - is more guest seating, but mostly so my two Danes can again lay in my lap without crushing me in the Swedish recliner. No, I'm not kidding.

Old 07-08-2019, 05:43 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Thanks for the input. I've had big dogs for a long time. That's why I prefer leather furniture, as do all the breeders I know. Nothing but leather can stand up to a dog year after year, resist damage, wipe down and vacuum off easily, etc. Small dogs with sharp nails, and god knows cats can turn a couch to suede, but big dogs with blunt nails are surprisingly easy on good leather.

My big dumb boy, in fact, is making conditioning the couch a PITA. First, he's rediscovered the Joy of Couching after two years. Second, the conditioner I use apparently smells like pork chop gravy and I cannot get him to stop licking it... have to lock him out til it's dry.

Function of couch - which is more a big love seat in size - is more guest seating, but mostly so my two Danes can again lay in my lap without crushing me in the Swedish recliner. No, I'm not kidding.
May the delicious smell evaporate completely

May you enjoy your couch for as long as you want. It sounds like found a good buy.

Old 07-08-2019, 10:11 PM

The mental picture of you and the two Danes in a recliner makes me laugh. Love it! Sounds like many happy hours of roomy lounging for all of you. Enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House