Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 02:33 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,827,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post

....can jets wear out....Are there any remedies to clogged jets?

Everything will eventually wear out, and anything clogged can usually be unclogged, one way or another.

I assume you are talking about the jets under the rim?

They can be clogged for a lot of reasons. Some of the most common are mineral build up and residue from things put in the tank like chemical cakes or bricks. The hole where the water enters the channel could also be clogged with something from inside the talk like a piece of the flapper valve or a deteriorated washer or maybe something that fell into the tank when the cover was lifted for some reason.

As far as them wearing out, there isn't much to wear except the surface glaze and that wouldn't stop them from working.

To do a good job of cleaning you would have to remove the tank and also take out the bowl so you could see and easily reach everything. When the unit gets where it needs this kind of maintenance, you already have half the job done so you might as well put in a new toilet.

Last edited by Fat Freddy; 04-04-2008 at 03:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 03:31 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,453,111 times
Yeah I have been replacing them.

Thanks for the info....that's pretty much what I thought also.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:35 PM

28,114 posts, read 63,647,953 times
Toilets are made with a porcelain finish and fired clay... the "jets" do not rust or wear out... however, they can become blocked, usually from water deposits.

The jets are under the rim and start the swirling motion when flushing...

I've been able to clear the jets with a stiff wire... about the diameter of a heavy duty coat hanger.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:37 PM

37 posts, read 84,775 times
My toilet just started running crazy after it was flushed, it never happened before, I (think) probably could have fixed it if it had a tank but this one doesn't. So I freaked out for about 10 minutes, didn't know what to do but it stopped on its own (probably it was tired and so was I). I'm glad it stopped but I don't want to check it by flushing 'cause it might start again and who knows, maybe it wont stop at all. So I would really like to know how to fix it properly. Please help.

Old 06-12-2009, 02:22 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,666,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfingatwork View Post
I'd like to help it, it's really tired from all that running. LOL!!!!!

Seriously, is there a way to fix it other than what we're doing now which is lifting off the top and gently pulling up the lever which does stop it. it doesn't happen all the time but since the house in on the market i'd like to fix it.
The fix depends on a couple things...

First, how good are you at "wrenching" things? If you are a do-it-yourselfer, the fix for this will end up being cheap - no matter what it is.

That said, my first bet would be that your flapper is not completely sealing along the flange at the bottom of the tank, allowing a little water to seep out. This will cause the water to run intermittently. This has often been the case for me on rental property, and even at home.

A new flapper costs anywhere from $2-$10, depending on the style.

It's also possible that you need a whole new float & shut-off assembly. This is not a particularly difficult procedure if you can do this kind of work. It simply requires turning off the water supply at the baseboard, draining the tank, and replacing the entire assembly - usually you only have to remove the nut on the outside bottom of the tank.

If this is the case, remove the shut-off assembly before you go to the Hardware Store (Home Depot, etc) and take it with you. That way you'll be sure you've got the right part.

If you're NOT handy, call a plumber you trust. Seriously...

Good luck!

Old 06-12-2009, 01:33 PM

47 posts, read 158,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny_queens View Post
My toilet just started running crazy after it was flushed, it never happened before, I (think) probably could have fixed it if it had a tank but this one doesn't. So I freaked out for about 10 minutes, didn't know what to do but it stopped on its own (probably it was tired and so was I). I'm glad it stopped but I don't want to check it by flushing 'cause it might start again and who knows, maybe it wont stop at all. So I would really like to know how to fix it properly. Please help.
First you should definitely get the help of a plumber - or at least a 'handy' friend - to get that fixed. I've been working with Scott on an eco-friendly bathroom renovation project and while you're at it, you should think about adding a water-saving flush kit like this one:
YouTube - Simple Green Bathroom Renovation - part of Green Done Right presented by Scott Naturals

Speaking of which, has anyone ever heard of a dual-flusher? It's a pretty good idea, plus it saves on the water bill.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:31 AM

1 posts, read 2,309 times
Default Toilet does not stop running

Hi Fred...you seem to know a lot about toilets...and I hope you can help. I just replaced all the parts in my toilet tank " tank repair kit" and now the water will not stop running..the little fill hose going into the overflow tube will not stop running water into it, nor will the other part stop running water thru it. ( the big piece that actually is suppose to fill the tank only ? ) Anyway........can you help please ? Thanks so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House