Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 09:45 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,857,672 times

Advertisements

so did you ever have these tested? we have 12x12 tiles. i cannot for the life of me figure out the date of them... i want to have them tested before i rip them out.

I am a little bit weary of this inspectopedia website as they have not really had any proof that a normal 12x12 cellulose ceiling tile should or would have asbestos in it.

"Both of these products might contain asbestos fibers, though the principal material is usually cellulose. "
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 04:46 PM

5,119 posts, read 16,593,991 times
I work in a place where there is a whole crew of workers who modernize/remodel apartments and homes. The guy who came out and installed my heat vents told me that he could tell by looking at my tiles and knowing that my home was built after 1978, that they weren't asbestos. He's been working here for about 19 years so I trust his judgement. If he was unsure, I would've had them tested.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:21 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,857,672 times
Post 1978 sounds safe. My home is 1950. I sent my junk ceiling tiles out to be tested today. $65 and results in 1 week. Seemed too expensive but I didn't want to wait a week for their testing kit to arrive, and another week for results. My guess is negative, then I will demo the garbage in peace.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:17 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times
Go to home depot, buy a tool that is made for remvong shingles on a roof. That is what you need. I call it a shingle scraper. It probably has a more accurate name. Not too expensive. Easy to find at garage sales becuase it is the kid of tool that most people only use once ever and then leave in their garage. I have two of them that I would gladly give you if you were nearby.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:23 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times
Personally, I think that the dangers of aesbestos to consumers are majorly overblown. Do some research and form your own opinions. I would not want to work in an aesbestos factory, but I would not hesitate to remove those tiles if I had a mask and goggles. You may have to bury them in your back yard to get rid of them though. Some places prohibit putting the tiles in the trash. Because they "might" have aesbestos. Like dozens of other things, they love to hype aesbestos fear. Fear makes for lots of media sales.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:19 AM

600 posts, read 3,448,477 times
Asbestos in a stable condition such as old floor tiles and ceiling tiles is nothing to be alarmed about. On the other hand, once you release the fibers into your atmosphere, you are dealing with a deadly material. Asbesteosis is a horrible disease that is easily avoided by having materials tested BEFORE any demolition work is done. Yes, I know your co-worker is experienced, and I'm sure his heart is in the right place by trying to save you some money. And, yes, there are folks who prey on the "asbestos scare". But honestly, please have it tested before you start demolition. Trusting this to anyone other than a certified expert is really rolling the dice.

Regards,
Streamer1212

Old 01-27-2009, 11:53 AM

3,020 posts, read 25,729,009 times
Default The asbestos scare.......

There is tons of misinformation being floated about for the hazards surrounding asbestos. Clearly it can be a hazardous material in some circumstances.

But the flip side of the coin is the shrill clowns who bray like one fiber is a death sentence.

The facts are asbestos exposure has an extremely low incidence of disease for the numbers exposed. Death rates are quoted in the 1,000,000 rates not in 100,000. Lawyers really have to pound the pavement to find potential victims. Mesothelioma is a relatively rare form of cancer. You have incidence rates something like 1 / 1,000,000 in a statistical sense.

It does appear a relatively heavy exposure is required for most cases. Then there may also be other factors to get mesothelioma that could be confused as asbestos caused. A number of other minerals / substances can also give similar results. In the main, risk is very low compared to many, many other possible agents.

But if you have it in the home and are going to disturb it, caution is advised. A good practice is to lightly wet it with a spray bottle. Wear a good HEPA filter mask, not a dust mask, something like a one piece jumpsuit, seal off the room, set up a fan blowing in, another fan blowing out to vent the room, run for a period afterward.

I've removed those ceiling tiles basically followed those practices. Just don't go breaking them up dry, do not create a lot of dust. You also may have a bit of a legal dilemma if you have them tested, are informed so in writing and then attempt to dispose of in a non regulated manner. It can be an anal situation. Your exposure in normal daily life is not zero, plenty of the stuff around in all sorts of forms. Most at very low levels. Even many household products could have a wee bit.

Understand the risk in terms of overall risks faced everyday. Asbestos is down in that category "Other" with so many other risks. Vitamin A can be a cancer cause if you get too little, can also cause cancer if you get too much. The numbers behind many of these things are so low to be insignificant as an overall risk factor. But that is not the way it gets spun for whatever motivations.

Beware of shrill peeps shouting about anything, especially if they are drawing a paycheck from it. By the same token, miniminize your own risk as much as possible. Sometimes a lil common sense goes a long, long ways.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:55 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,540,454 times
The danger is minimized if you can take the tiles down whole. Usually they are stapled up and after you get the first one off, you can pull the staples to get the others off without breaking them. Also, if the tiles have been painted, that encapsulates them, further protecting you from the loose fibers.

Old 02-28-2009, 02:20 PM

1 posts, read 15,861 times
Default Acoustic ceiling tiles

How did things go on the removal? My house has them in almost every room. They have to go. I tried to remove in one room but every square had glue in every corner. Once I got the tile off, which took for ever the glue was remaining. The glue is harder to get off then the tile. I have no idea on what to do.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:41 AM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,513 posts, read 6,324,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMSEATTLE View Post
How did things go on the removal? My house has them in almost every room. They have to go. I tried to remove in one room but every square had glue in every corner. Once I got the tile off, which took for ever the glue was remaining. The glue is harder to get off then the tile. I have no idea on what to do.
If youre set on taking them off I would redrywall the ceiling afterwards if it were me.. By the time you get done scraping and digging off all the glue there will be so much patching. Also the ceiling s probably hosed some place. They usually put those tiles up as a coverup.

The old house I bought for my Mom had those glued on tiles. I used topping compound and did a textured ceiling right on top. Been up for 10+ years . Hasnt fallen down yet. Takes a little more work than a regular textured ceiling cause you have to fill the cracks as you go. Try it if you dont like it you can always take the tiles down as planned. .

If you prefer smooth ceilings you might ty this. Its something new Im having good results with as a finish coat. But boy is it messy. Good thing this stuff washes out of my hair. Thin topping compound with water and mix it to a thick pancake batter. I use a drill mixer attatchment. Roll it on a 3x3 squarel with a roller. Skim off with a 24 inch window squeegee. Dries fast with a glass finish once you master the technique. I havent done this to tiles so I dont know if the cracks will show. You may need to do several coats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House